DPC latency for storport.sys

It's that beige box on your floor. In 1999.
kevm14

Re: DPC latency for storport.sys

Post by kevm14 »

Adam wrote:Also, I have an i7-930 that I'm not using either.
Oh yeah. That reminds me: I haven't had any issues with the OEM heatsink/compound. And I'd have to touch that to install the 930 obviously. I would say I am not in a hurry, especially since I have no apparent hard CPU limitations currently, and after the swap the overall system performance might go up by, what, 5%?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

According to CPU Benchmark:
Intel Core i7-920 @ 2.67GHz: 4921
Intel Core i7-930 @ 2.80GHz: 5139

Not even 5%. 4.4% and that's just pure CPU. Overall system performance will be some fraction of this. Not sure I'd even notice. But, I may still take you up on it...

This is an overall score. It may be that in single threaded operations where the higher "turbo/overclock" thing comes into play, improvements could be greater. Or something. 4.4% is sort of an average that represents....whatever the synthetic CPU Benchmark test does.

Super side note: when I upgraded my old VAIO (still have it) from the T2500 to the T7600, that was a nearly 60% increase in CPU Benchmark score. So....yeah.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

It's doing it again.

I guess I need to redeploy the driver fix. Must have been another Windows Update.
latencymon 062520.PNG
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Wow that was way easier than last time!

Because I went through the trouble to install the driver last time, all I had to do was press Roll Back Driver in device manager and it rolled right back to the other driver that previously solved this issue. Fixed, again!
latencymon 062520 after driver again.PNG
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Win 10 updated to build 2004. It's doing it again. I'll try roll back.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Worked again. Pressed button, restarted, back on the older driver that works. No more audio hiccups.

This time MS wanted to know why I am rolling back. I selected that the older driver had "better performance" and typed something into the box. Not sure this will do anything. This PC is over 11 years old. Of course, I am not asking for a new driver that works (this would come from Intel), only to perhaps stop updating the driver that causes the massive system latency resulting in audio hiccups. I don't really mind rolling back except I have two issues with this:
1) Will it stop working at some point because the old driver will no longer be compatible with whatever new build of Win 10 that I install?
2) What about all the people who don't understand computers? Are they just not running 11 year old systems? Maybe. But sometimes the computer illiterate just keep running the old computer for forever if it works. And with Windows doing automatic updates (like major OS updates) it could force their hand, but likely into a new computer if anything (or ignore the issue if it's ignorable).

Also, inb4 Adam says "Did you try Linux on it?"

For general computing needs, I see Linux as the solution to a singular problem: computer hardware that still works but is too slow for Windows 10 (a variant of this concept is to turn an old laptop into a Chromebook). And that's not my issue with this Dell so...