New Desktop Purchase

It's that beige box on your floor. In 1999.
Adam

Re: New Desktop Purchase

Post by Adam »

I'm still here.

For the most part, I agree with Kevin. Outlet deals are a great way to get a huge discount on a nearly current generation machine or a refurbished machine.

Black Friday deals will mostly focus on current generation stuff usually via special SKUs or large buys. You might find something that way. If not, you can always go back to an outlet for a good deal.

Multiple HDMI or other video outputs are best handled through a discreet GPU (AMD/Nvidia rather than the built in Intel GPU). Even the lower end non-gaming cards support this at only a modest cost increase over not getting one.

I'm still running a machine based on a high end 2009 platform, but but with all of the things updated and/or overclocked. Upgrades are a combination of new (GPU) and used (CPU) components. I don't recommend that approach to a normal/sane person. I don't think I'll replace the core of this machine for another couple years. Modern games are mostly GPU-bound so as long as this old-ass platform supplies sufficient performance for a current generation GPU, I'll keep it.

The most important things to know going in are your budget and your use case. Sounds like you just need plenty of storage. Although you don't want to be upgrading this thing all the time, swapping out hard drives low impact.
dochielomn

Post by dochielomn »

Thanks for the input. Yes, I want storage because wise not (and chances are you always end up needing it anyways for this or that). The usage of the computer is more casual overall (at least for the moment). Basic internet searching or using Microsoft office products for stuff and some streaming (since I do have audio/video hard wired to a TV as well).

Forget if I asked, but am I just too old-fashioned that I'd prefer a hard wire ethernet connection as oppose to just using a wireless card to connect? I get why a wireless card is useful as when I move in less than a year, there's not a guarantee that my computer will be nearby the modem/router and I may not want to run wire throughout the house to establish a connection.

And in terms of budget, nothing really concrete. Probably around 1,500 would be the most I could justify to myself but don't really want to spend that much. But if I found something I really liked, I would or possibly spend a little more if need be.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

It is perfectly reasonable for devices that aren't portable to have permanent network connections. That's what I do. Everything that stays put gets wired Ethernet.

Let's see....TV, HTPC, Xbox (which I don't use), desktop PC, work laptop when I telework. All wired.

Like you said nothing wrong with having the option to go wireless since options are good.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Most modern 'desktops' will include a wireless card but also have a standard RJ45 Ethernet jack as well so you're probably covered either way.
dochielomn

Post by dochielomn »

So let me inquire about these 2 machines:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-XPS-8930-To ... =pc&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-XPS-8930-To ... pc&sr=1-17

Anything glaring that I'm overlooking here?

Not saying I'm going to buy, but while browsing, I ran across.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Those are some machines.

The GTX10xx and newer Nvidia cards no longer support analog video.

Either of those is more machine than you need now, which means it'll be functional for the maxim amount of time. I have some high end H/W from 10+ years ago that is still sufficient for modern things (games + internet) with key upgrades along the way. I'd expect you to be able to get similar life out of a current or previous generation high end system, perhaps with some updates along the way.

For maximum performance/lifespan per dollar, you could do well with a special clearance price on a last generation system.

I've done various things with computers over the years. I acquired my current desktop core platform when it was already ~5 years old. Since then, I've installed a combination of the used high end H/W, new current generation compatible things, and a new GPU or 2nd GPU every few years ('cause games). I expect the core platform to last the duration of the lifespan of the RTX2060 that's in it (another two or three years) before I consider replacing it. At that point it'll be 12-13 years old.
Adam

Post by Adam »

My point is that any "high end" (over $1200) machine will last you 8+ years, longer of you do some key upgrades when performance starts to be an issue.

That's assuming you don't adopt a hobby that requires a significant increase in computational resources during that time.