Totally different demographic.
bill25

Re: Caprice engine swap?

Post by bill25 »

I like the rims black...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

As the lifecycle of the Caprice nears its end I decided to make some videos. No burnouts/donuts yet but there is still time.

Driving and discussing/reminiscing
https://youtu.be/RlP5Co4WWIs

Driveway walk-around part 1
https://youtu.be/Dzc-RYypvbY

Driveway walk-around part 2
https://youtu.be/7yPJUUxkZZo

Thanks to FIOS I was able to upload these videos at ~61 Mbps. That is really handy.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I am actually looking forward to eventually getting back down to 5 cars. And I'm actually excited about working on B-bodies again, as I will have plenty of opportunity for that.

Lots of stuff will happen before that, though...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Jamie floated the idea of driving my Caprice to my father in law's tomorrow. Pressure's on.

First step, start car. Oops, battery almost totally dead. Jumped off Roadmaster.

Pulled in garage and pulled the SS wheels off. Swapped my winter wheels on, most worn on the rear (in case of emergency burnout?).

To jack up the rear I did it by the diff since, without the right rear shock attached, the spring might have fallen out and the axle over extended (could have pulled on the brake hose).
WP_20180512_18_18_49_Pro.jpg
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Took Ian with me for the drive. It still likes cruising around 80-85...

Did a few burnouts. On one of them it wound through first and went into second before going back to first when I let off the brake. Pretty satisfying. Also after parking I tried a free rev. It went up to 5,500 and probably would have gone higher. I expected valve float before that.
WP_20180513_13_35_35_Pro.jpg
WP_20180513_13_35_43_Pro.jpg
WP_20180513_13_35_56_Pro.jpg
WP_20180513_13_36_16_Pro.jpg
Took the plates off...
bill25

Post by bill25 »

I don't really get it. You are going to strip it down on the dirt? 2 hours from your house?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I guess it will be easier to take apart and there are some machines to help do that as well as get it on a trailer at the end. And I'd rather have a half-disassembled car somewhere other than my driveway for a few months.

So....how will I record some burnout action? Now it is in another state and I can tell you that while I did some decent ones on his road on the way to where it is now, that is NOT a plan for a video. Which means I still don't know a safe place to really make a scene (noise and smoke) where we can record some antics.

Anyway the point is, I did drop it down to comprehensive but I have the plates and it is still registered.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Well this is annoying. I keep forgetting to call the DMV but I found this:
http://www.dmv.ri.gov/registrations/cancel/
Cancel Plates
Plates may be cancelled at any DMV branch location or at a AAA branch office (members only). Out of state plates must be returned to the original state.
Things to Know
The DMV requires you to surrender your license plates upon cancellation.
Lost or stolen plates must be reported to your local police department. To cancel the plates, submit the police report to the DMV, or complete the (Affidavit for Cancellation of Registration for Lost Plates).
To cancel plates by mail:
Send the cancelled plates to the Division of Motor Vehicles Attn: Plates, 600 New London Avenue, Cranston RI 02920.
In order to cancel plates, the DMV must confirm the registered owner. Be sure to include a photocopy of the registration, copy of the registered owners driver license, OR other document identifying the owner.
If there is no documentation of the registered owner, the plates will NOT be cancelled. They will remain active until the expiration date, and will be subject to any fees that may result.
Use registered mail with a return receipt request.
To request a plate cancellation receipt (Form TR-3), please include a postage paid, self-addressed envelope. Keep the cancellation receipt to avoid future property tax claims if your city or town neglects to remove you from their records.
So....I think that's my answer. If I want to keep the plates for the Roadmaster, I need to transfer them to the Roadmaster and return the Roadmaster's plates. Or skip all that and just return my Caprice plates. I might be able to pull this off as I'll be taking days off for the kitchen and I can probably plan to waste most of an afternoon at some DMV for this.
Adam

Post by Adam »

If you are not cancelling the plates, they'll stay yours until the registration expires. Then they'll continue to stay yours. Cancelling gives you a refund on unused registration fees.