Post by bill25 »

Bob

Re: Cars that should be bought

Post by Bob »

Bob

Post by Bob »

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 45273.html

Cheap C5 with over 200k, not sure if it’s that great of a deal but the mileage is notable.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

According to DIY types there is nothing scary about a 200k C5. Obviously they can be pretty good bargains. Like you said, I'm not sure this one is a good deal because it seems like I could find a 200k one that doesn't need those things for a similar price but I haven't looked that hard.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2000-Chevr ... rt-review/

I don't see enough performance stats but I'd wager that a Z51 gives you the approximate performance envelope of my CTS-V.

Check out the review also, as a contemporaneous account of the then-three-year-old C5. Pretty glowing. For those who remember some past Corvettes as "not that good.". The C4 was a huge leap for 1984 and by 1997, so was the C5.
Bob

Post by Bob »

kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I wouldn't mind that if the price is right. The underlying Opel/Vauxhall was a pretty decent vehicle.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/r ... -regal-gs/

Damn it is even better than I thought. Now that is definitely a car that would be on my radar going forward. Rare and underappreciated. Perfect.
As is always the case with consumable parts like brakes and tires, driver behavior trumps all. And we've worked this car harder than most. Shortly after participating in the Nevada Open Road Challenge (and averaging 110 mph for 90 miles), the Regal spirited up and down the West Coast before heading east, to the magazine's new home in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The byways for each journey—like the Pacific Coast Highway and Colorado's glorious Route 550—were chosen specifically for their lack of straight sections, because the GS is a Buick unlike any other: It's at home in the curves.

2012 Buick Regal GS
That's the GS's best quality, and the reason we're still drawn to it. Even novice drivers can feel comfortable working the Buick hard through corners. The car has that intangible connected feel, the tires seemingly locked to the pavement. Those used to European sport sedans will recognize the behavior immediately, which shouldn't be much of a surprise, as a good deal of the Regal's development was done by GM's Opel division in Rüsselsheim, Germany.

2012 Buick Regal GS
The Buick's layout is the amazing part—like all Regals, the GS is front-wheel drive, yet it suffers few of the drawbacks typical of the configuration. Powerful front-drive cars typically get squirrely and wander across the lane when you're hard on the gas—i.e., they suffer from torque steer—but not the GS. Redesigned suspension geometry insulates the Buick's chassis from the corrupting influence of its 270-hp turbo four. New steering knuckles (a technology that GM calls HiPer Strut, which accomplishes the same task as the RevoKnuckle design used by Ford on the Focus ST) allow suspension and steering to operate relatively independent of each other. That means the nimble sedan behaves predictably, one of the reasons the staff has been universally comfortable hammering on it.

2012 Buick Regal GS
No surprise, then, that the Buick's front rubber lived such a short life. The $1,148 bill for two tires was definitely steep, but remember that these Pirellis are specialty high-performance pieces, not generic all-seasons. In terms of other maintenance, the GS has been a bargain: The computer has called for just two oil changes, at a cost of just $41.90, and save a loose bolt that was rattling around in the dash (which the dealer removed, gratis), we've had no unscheduled dealer visits.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I think I had forgotten about these and the Northstar: https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 81381.html
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Don't forget about the Buick Lucerne CXS or whatever. I could forgive you if you did though.