General CTS Vsport Thread

Non-repair car talk
Bob

General CTS Vsport Thread

Post by Bob »

I figured I would start a thread since this finally happened after 2 years of talking about it. I made the drive from West Palm Beach to Charlotte in a shade under 10 hours including a couple stops yesterday. The car performed flawlessly, although it was frustrating to get Cue to stream things consistently from my iPhone. A few impressions:

- The chassis is as good as I remember. The way the steering loads up off center is great. Highway on center is also good, though not super heavy. The ride isn't super plush, but I like it. It's very firm and Germanic in nature on the highway.
- Highway mileage is good, but not as good as the DIC says. (First tank was a hand calculated 25.7 and I think the DIC was showing close to 28. Need to load this into Fuelly.
- Cruising range is also very good thanks to the 19 gallon tank.
- The stereo is good, though probably could be even better with higher quality source music.
- I like the seats and the seating position. Forward visibility is good and you don't feel like you're sitting in a hole like in the Camaro which shares the alpha platform.
- Highway passing power is saisfying
- The AISIN automatic is a little clunky feeling sometimes under light throttle, but it is quick to downshift and snaps off upshifts quickly with precision.

Immediate needs:

- The car could probably benefit from a good road force balance. I have a place that will do this for $10 a tire so it's worth it.
- Brake fluid is very dark looking. Definitely needs to be flushed.
- Rear differential fluid was due at 60k. Needs to be changed.
- A couple small dents that I would like to have a PDR guy look at.
kevm14

Re: General CTS Vsport Thread

Post by kevm14 »

Let's rewind the clock with this early 2000s classic (and applicable) gif:
This_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif
This_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif (41.63 KiB) Viewed 931 times
Bob

Post by Bob »

This is kind of nit picky, but the backup camera's resolution is pretty bad. I have been in much cheaper rental cars that are way better. After a quick forum search, it appears that I am not alone with this complaint. Not sure if there is any fix. This is probably low on my priority list anyway.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

The 2013 Camaro SS 1LE that bill just posted had a picture of the backup screen. It looked bad. Is yours this bad?
44b0949849b441079557f77b720ac2c0.jpg
Obviously it is a camera issue (and possibly a composite video interface) because the Camaro screen (first year for MyLink I think) is pretty high res:
178149d8f4944ec9a072ed5979e45b6a.jpg
Of course, I hate backup cameras in general though I guess backing out of a garage they have their place (like for stray children). Backing into a spot as I do every day, I think mirrors are the way to go. Obviously the CT6 has a much higher res camera with that fancy review mirror.
Bob

Post by Bob »

It's probably at least as bad as that Camaro SS 1LE.
Bob

Post by Bob »

kevm14 wrote:Let's rewind the clock with this early 2000s classic (and applicable) gif:
The attachment This_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif is no longer available
Here you go. I actually didn't take a ton of pics.
First fill up - West Palm Beach
First fill up - West Palm Beach
Going through Jacksonville - the only big city that can be viewed from the highway during this entire drive.
Going through Jacksonville - the only big city that can be viewed from the highway during this entire drive.
Only gas stop - in SC.
Only gas stop - in SC.
Trip Statistics
Trip Statistics
Home
Home
Last edited by kevm14 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I placed the pics inline so they would go in the right order
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Tap on the picture to load a bigger one. It is pretty low res.
Bob

Post by Bob »

kevm14 wrote:Tap on the picture to load a bigger one. It is pretty low res.
I confirmed it's as bad as the Camaro (probably the same hardware).
Bob

Post by Bob »

A new OEM front brake rotor is $73.44 at GMPartsDirect. This is just one small data point supporting why the Vsport is better than the German competition.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Got my plates today, so now I can legally drive it.