C8 thread

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: C8 thread

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3078 ... -lap-time/
The 7:29.9 time makes the C8 Corvette faster than the previous-generation C7 by around 10 seconds. Impressively, it's also quicker than the new 992-generation Porsche 911 Carrera S, well at least one driven by the German publication Sport Auto which set a 7:30.41 lap time in fall 2019.
So theoretically, that C8 would sell for as low as, what, $67k or something? It would be Z51 plus FE4 I think as the minimum required to reproduce the time.

Some skepticism and rebuttals:
I'm a big fan of what Chevy has done with the C8, but the lap time comparison to the Carrera S is probably not fair. I'd assume Chevy's test driver has quite a few C8 laps under his belt while I'd assume the magazine tester of the Porsche probably had just a few laps with the Carrera S.
Whoops, try another attack.
The magazine tester for the Porsche, Christian Gebhardt, actually has far more Ring experience that Corvette Racing's Oliver Gavin.
This is Christian Gebhardt's background: https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/christian-gebhardt/
You'll note that he has more than passing familiarity with the Ring having won his class in the 24 hour race there in 2018 and competing in a number of other years.
In fact, Gebhardt was the one who wheeled the C7 Z06 to its 7:13.9 time.
https://www.torquenews.com/106/c7-corve ... burgring-0
Then there's this:
BS. Does anyone actually believe these ‘ring times are done with cars in stock tune ? So many parameters and parts could be swapped without anyone knowing....
Survey says:
Dude its just a 7:30 lap time. Thats not that farfetched. Its not even a supercar number. Its literally what a mid weight mid engine car with ~500hp should make in 2020 give or take. Why so skeptical??
Bingo. In case the fanfare is not understood, the fact that you can buy this performance for $67k is what is incredible. Plus it seems to be a good all around car, not some one trick pony. One track pony?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Good video to catch up on what's going on.

https://youtu.be/-1sx8qfQ_MM

There has been a Cleetus, TFLCar and Engineering Explained video about the 2 day driving event. Also updated info on production. GM has videos about the car.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrol ... D371B70CA1
2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8 Base Model Review: Here's What You Get for $60,000
And also what you don't get
Although we test hundreds of cars every year, we rarely get to take a look at base trims—especially when it comes to supercars. But during the media launch of the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8 last week, we were able to see the much hyped $59,995 model, and we got a chance to sit in it and see how the materials compare with the car we evaluated last year and ultimately named our 2020 Car of the Year. We didn't drive the $60K model, but we got to drive a non-Z51 Corvette C8 for the first time, which was very similar to the base car. We were impressed to see the long list of standard equipment on the base model and appreciated how there are almost no compromises with its performance. Here's an overview of what you get when you buy the cheapest C8 Corvette model in the lineup.
They go through every major category with what you get and what you are going to have to add options to get.

You buy a Corvette because you care about driving, and the C8 delivers on that front. That's one of the reasons we named it Car of the Year. And even on the $60,000 car, you still get a lot for your money. The 6.2-liter V-8 engine produces 490 hp and 465 lb-ft of torque, which is 5 hp and 5 lb-ft less than what you get with the optional performance exhaust. Just like on the higher trims, an eight-speed dual-clutch transmission sends power to the rear wheels. Four-piston Brembo brakes are also standard, so you'll get that hard stopping power when you need to. And you still get the mechanical limited-slip differential.

Non-Z51 C8 Corvettes ride on all-season tires, so this was our first time driving the car with the Michelin Pilot Sport all-seasons and the standard suspension. The ride is a little stiffer with this setup, but it still continues to be comfortable on the road. You'll have to drive the Z51 and regular models back to back to notice the difference. The standard suspension is also very competent, though I still prefer the optional magnetic Ride Control adaptive damping system, which adjusts every millisecond to the road surfaces and rides more comfortably than the base suspension when set to Tour mode (driving modes are still offered even without the MR shocks on the base C8).
I mean the non-Z51 model is still like 3.0s 0-60.
Although you might not get some safety features, there's a long list of convenience features that come at no extra charge. Keyless access with push-button start, dual-zone climate control, power adjustable GT1 bucket seats, automatic LED headlights, and a 12.0-inch digital cluster display are standard on the base C8. The removable roof panel is also standard, so every C8 can be driven topless.
I think my conclusion is, while my choice won't be the complete base model, it is actually quite decent and doesn't really sacrifice anything. That is a big deal. Most base cars are not good, with only a few exceptions.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/dohc-5- ... rod-v8-gm/
Pushrods, much like manual transmissions, were supposed to be phased out long ago by all the new technology hitting the market, but something happened along the way. In the case of manual transmissions it turns out that people just find it fun to row gears the "old fashioned" way instead of fingering flappy paddles. Go figure. In fact, Porsche ditched manual transmissions altogether only to bring them back for their track-inspired models.

As for pushrods, yeah, they were supposed to fade away, as well, in favor of high-revving double-overhead-cam mills that, on paper, seemed better. The problem was that the pushrod engines kept working, made tons of power, and were stupid reliable. In terms of racing, the pushrod mill in the C7.R track Corvette didn't seem to be holding the team back, and on the production side pushrod V-8s were still performance powerhouses that were much easier to produce compared to DOHC mills.
But things change, and this year the C8.R is powered by a 5.5L DOHC V-8. Yep, four cams and zero pushrods is a big change over at Corvette racing, and we wonder if this is the first step on GM's journey to ditch pushrods across their entire engine line.

According to the IMSA rulebook, GM will have to use this engine someplace because they are required to equip a version of it in at least 300 production cars. If we were placing Vegas bets, our money would be for this DOHC mill to wind up in some C8 version of the Z06, or maybe an even more limited edition ZR-1 Corvette. If you think about the ZR-1, it would make sense because it was the only other 'Vette to ever have a four-cam arrangement. The four-cam, 32-valve engine in the C4 Corvette was epic, but it wasn't even made by GM. Instead, it was sourced from Mercury Marine's MerCruiser division. The DOHC mill in the C8.R is built by GM in Pontiac, Michigan.

Personally we love the pushrod arrangement in GM's current line of engines. They are easy to work on, and nobody can argue that a cam swap is far simpler and cheaper to accomplish compared to a DOHC engine. Only time will tell, though, if this move toward DOHC engines ends up being a small or all-encompassing change that will permanently remove our beloved pushrods from the performance equation.
In some ways the move to a DOHC engine would be more shocking than the switch to mid-engine.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Streetspeed717 takes delivery of his new C8 along with a buddy who flew in from CA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoYJX1c9vRY

He claims to be the first customer delivery of a C8, which also means on Youtube. Incredibly, he has VIN 14.

I like both color combos. The white with black wheels, and the black with silver wheels. These cars are stacking up to be very awesome.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Second Streetspeed717 C8 video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_IRbRjuLWk

He puts some wheels meant for a C7 on it. They look really good but the fitment in the front isn't 100% right, and I don't like the fact that the bolt pattern isn't technically the same.

Interestingly, GM upgraded to 14mm lug studs. That is pretty substantial considering 12mm is typical for cars (I think all my stuff is 12x1.5, very common).
Bob

Post by Bob »

kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

THIS.....is a McLar…..wait, no.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://youtu.be/tM4N4EJnd5c

Racing against a manual Hellcat. I would say the C8 was very impressive. Watch for yourself.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Info about the cold start/warmup redline.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/c8-corv ... 4BA69AE19B
How? Chevrolet added a soft rev limiter—a not-so-new feature that also found its way into the C7 'Vette—that electronically prevents the engine from spinning too fast, too soon after startup. (Because cold engine oil is significantly thicker than warm oil, and you don't want to add unnecessary strain to your engine by banging it off its rev limiter before it's nice and ready.) Fire up your 2020 C8 Corvette, and until the engine is ready, you won't be able to rev the engine much beyond 3,500 rpm; that's the soft rev limit—the LT2 V-8 gets a hard cut-off at 4,500. Once warm, the engine is free to spin up to its regular 6,500-rpm redline.

You can see the feature in action in this YouTube video, which was taken while the presumptive owner was driving (something we seriously caution against doing, by the way). It shows the soft rev-limiter at 3,500 rpm and hard cut-off at 4,500 displayed on the Corvette's digital tachometer. After a short warm-up period (times may vary based on weather conditions) the digital tachometer switches to display the C8's full redline at 6,500 rpm.
Love the BMW reference. The reader SHOULD be reminded of this.
In some cases, the results of not warming up your engine properly can be catastrophic. Take the 2008-2013 BMW M3, for example. Despite having a great, motorsports-derived 4.0-liter V-8, it was prone to rod bearing failure, thanks to rod bearings made of a material that would wear away easily, as well as the oil BMW recommended, which was too viscous. When not warmed up properly (or when the break in period for the engine was cut shut or ignored altogether), the thicker oil would stress the rod bearings, causing them to wear away faster.
Pretty sure this also effected the E60 M5 (05-10) with the S85 V10. And I think also the E46 M3.