Re: C8 thread

Post by kevm14 »

Price and reveal date
https://youtu.be/ihIHE_vfbIU
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Let me circle back to this.

So the interior spy shots are sort of preproduction but probably in the realm of what the design will look like. The seats look pretty serious. The cockpit is also pretty serious.

We don't yet know what the exterior will look like so everything you have seen so far is renderings/guesses by fans.

For engines they talked about the LT1 and they also referened the Cadillac Blackwing engine from the CT6-V (4.2L TT V8). They also talked about variants up to 1000 hp. Good god.

The thought on the street is the base mid-engine C8 will come in only a little more than a base C7, option for option (that could mean that the base C8 has more options than today's base C7). Overall folks are talking that to mean a base price under $70k which is pretty bonkers. Even with a warmed up LT1.

I wonder about weight. I also wonder about transmissions. I'd love to see a manual on lower trim cars, and I will accept mandatory dual clutch on the extreme performance variants.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://youtu.be/v9MctBf--eg

It sounds like Bob Lutz is doing a little consulting in his retirement.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Continuing the engine discussion from here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2349

New rumors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eR7kO537Q4

LT2 making around 490-500 hp. But he says this is DOHC. I would expect an updated LT1, because there is a lot of precedent for doing something like that. The LS2 made basically the same power as the LS6. So it would make sense that the LT2 makes about as much power as the LS7. Or something.

LT6 looking to be DOHC V8 and N/A. I would expect flat plane.

Then LT8 twin turbo DOHC, making up to 1000 hp.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

A little more engine info. And some transmission rumors. Clutch by wire??
https://youtu.be/6nujIiVm2zk
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.motortrend.com/news/spied-f ... 0888B34F52

Spied, still heavily camouflaged, in CA, with a group of cars and also with a 911 benchmark car.

Probably going on sale as a 2020 which means debut should (still) be right around the corner.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.motortrend.com/news/spied-d ... 03F4272BB4
Yesterday, our friends over at Hot Rod caught a small fleet of mid-engine Corvette prototypes out on public roads. Because we've never seen more than one testing at the same time, we thought it was a pretty cool catch. Since they were all so heavily camouflaged, though, there wasn't much we could say other than, "Here they are." But today, another one of our spy photographers sent us a huge gallery of one of the least-camouflaged C8 prototypes we've seen to date.
One of the first things that stands out to us is the batwing-like rear spoiler, which represents a huge departure from past prototypes we've seen. That could mean this version is some sort of high-performance model, but you never know. There's also something new mounted on the driver's side of the hood, which could be a testing device, but there's no way to tell just yet. Maybe it's an external tachometer? This mule appears to wear the same five-spoke wheels we saw on a car testing on the Nurburgring last year.
Looking more closely, it's still a little hard to make out the shape of the headlights, but they do appear to be LED clusters with a turn signal closer to the wheels. Around back, you can also get a good idea of what the taillights will look like even though Chevy tried hard to cover them up. Interestingly, despite the Corvette going mid-engine, it looks like the taillights are very similar to the ones on the current C7. And even though it's now required by law, we have to wonder if the rearview camera will be so prominent on the production version.
If you haven't been following the mid-engine Corvette saga, here's what we know so far. The C8 will likely be more premium than the C7, judging by some interior spy shots captured in January. Those shots revealed a unique center console with buttons arranged in single-file. We've also seen what is likely to be the mid-engine Corvette's key fob, which hints at a power retractable roof option. Engine choices are still unknown, but rumors have swirled of a new dual-overhead-cam V-8 design, possibly involving forced induction.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

More stuff.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a ... n=16251254

Latest on debut and availability:
Sherman now reports that the C8 will probably debut this summer—possibly August at an event at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky—and will reach production in December.
Hagerty speculates that Chevy has delayed because of issues with GM's new electrical architecture and some structural issues found in testing a version with a twin-turbo V-8.
We pretty much knew this before, both on the price and the LT2. And I have to say: A mid-engine, 500 hp dual clutch sports car in the $65k ballpark would be an AMAZING accomplishment. Unlike something like an Audi R8 which I think has historically underwhelmed, this thing is going to be punching way above its weight.
It Could Start Between $60,000 and $70,000
Hagerty reports that the C8 will start in the $60,000 to $70,000 range, where it'll be equipped with a new version of the current Corvette's naturally aspirated LT1 6.2-liter V-8. This engine, likely dubbed LT2, should make around 500 horsepower—up from the LT1's 460 horsepower.
And this:
It Could Get a Fancy New V-8
A 500-hp V-8, good though that may be, is only where things should start. Hagerty thinks that Chevy is working on a twin-turbo overhead-cam V-8 for the C8, possibly with a flat-plane crankshaft.
Ugh. No reason to go after the new NSX, please. No technology car for technology's sake. If the Corvette is awesome and relatively affordable, that is all it needs. It would add nothing to track situations. Probably detract. However, unlike an NSX, I presume this would still be a relatively affordable creation. And the front motor provides some daily driving benefits. I mean, I wouldn't want that, but I could at least see the argument for it.
An All-Wheel Drive Hybrid (!) Is a Possibility
In an August 2016 report, the Detroit News said the mid-engine Corvette is codenamed "Emperor," and that a hybrid version could be in the pipeline. Speaking to the Detroit News, Bob Lutz speculated that the mid-engine Corvette could have a small battery and electric motor to decrease fuel consumption and enable all-wheel-drive. Over at Hagerty, Sherman reports the same thing, adding that an electric motor driving the front wheels would replace the front trunk in base C8 models.
Hmm. Mention of Tremec (which apparently is NOT news) tells me that it may in fact share transmission technology with the Mustang GT500. I did have a brief thought that with clutch by wire, you could have a car that has a clutch pedal but can also be operated completely automatically should the mood strike. Two main problems with this theory: 1) Where is the stick shift? What, flappy paddles and a clutch? Shift by wire, too? That would be extremely odd and dumb so just bail on the whole thing, and 2) Dual clutch with a manual clutch is....kind of impossible. I mean it WOULD be possible with a clutch by wire but on a dual clutch, there are, uh, TWO clutches, one for each concentric clutch. It's just not likely. But the idea was interesting for a split second.
It Might Be Dual-Clutch Only
While GM has filed a patent for a clutch-by-wire system that replaces the traditional hydraulic master- and slave-cylinder mechanism with an electronic actuator, many signs point to the C8 being a dual-clutch only affair.
Back in 2016, our colleagues at Car and Driver reported that the C8 would use a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox sourced from Tremec. Of its seven speeds, the top three are overdrives, and Tremec says it can handle 9000 rpm input speed and 664 lb-ft of torque.
Rehashing the background on the car just in case folks think there is no precedent for any of this.
There have been rumors about Chevrolet developing a mid-engine Corvette for half a century. Indeed, Chevy has built a number of mid-engine concepts through the years, only to abandon them somewhere in development.
The first official prototype (pictured above) was revealed all the way back in 1970, and it was nearly production ready. In 1986, GM showed off the Corvette Indy, complete with a mid-mounted twin-turbo V-8 and all-wheel-drive. Then, in 2002, Cadillac revealed the stunning Cien concept at the Detroit Auto show. In between the Cien's axles, behind the passengers, was a 7.5L V-12 with 750 horsepower. It wasn't branded as a Chevy, but industry watchers took it as a sign that GM wanted to do something big.
In 2004, it was decided that the Corvette had reached the limit of grip with the traditional front engine, rear-wheel-drive layout. As legendary GM product guy and R&T contributor Bob Lutz explains, the design team got as far as constructing two full-scale clay models, a Corvette and the equivalent Cadillac XLR, both with the engine in the middle. Sadly, the recession of 2008 (and GM's eventual government bailout) caused the automaker to put a hold on, and eventually cancel, this mid-engined Corvette project.
Nothing wrong with benchmarking a 911 Turbo S.
Our spy photographers caught three mid-engine Corvette prototypes testing in southwest Michigan alongside a Porsche 911 Turbo S in 2017. The Corvette and 911 have always been rivals, but benchmarking a Turbo S indicates that Chevy is trying to make a true everyday supercar.