Cadillac STS-V hunt

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: Cars that should be bought

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote:https://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/6732582585.html
2006 CADILLAC STS-V,,SUPERCHARGED LOW MILES - $18500 (RI)

2006 cadillac sts-v
condition: excellent
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 46255
paint color: black
size: full-size
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
FOR SALE ONE OWNER 2006 CADILLAC STS-V WITH ONLY 46,000 MILES
V8 supercharged intercooled 469hp 439 plds torque 0-60 4.2 seconds,,13 second 1/4 mile
fully loaded every option navigation sunroof,,they only made 1501 of these cars and MSRP WAS $77,100
VERY CLEAN AND RUNS LIKE NEW,,selling for $18,500,,serious buyers please call or text show contact info
Fairly uncommon to find something this low mileage, and this clean overall (some buff marks in paint but it's black) locally. I am a little suspicious about this car. Mainly the ad text. It sounds like someone bought it to flip. I know it is registered but if this was owned by an actual enthusiast, I would expect a lot more text, not a bunch of classic sales pitch items ("runs like new" is a red flag). Says one owner but $100 says he was not the original owner. No one says "one owner" if they are the owner. They say "I bought this car new in 2005" or whatever.

Flipping in and of itself is not an issue. I just worry about more unscrupulous things like accident repairs (perhaps also undocumented), floods, etc. I don't know that this is bargain basement cheap for the mileage, but it's definitely on the low end for the mileage, at least based on what I know. I have done no recent market research. Point is, if it is a flip, then that means they have EVEN LESS into it than this price, which already seems good.

I see more than 1 Michelin and at least one Continental. Yeah, this car would need to be looked over very thoroughly, and obviously a Carfax for good measure.

It's just a little bit too...."if I picked this up for $14k I am sure I could flip it for $18k, it presents well, low mileage, all the classic things."
It just seems like a trap. I don't know that I'd call it a scam (it would be a scam at $5,000 or whatever) but it seems like the kind of thing that someone would be like "I can't believe it, I found this super clean, low mile STS-V, and it's local, and the price is actually reasonable" and then it just turns into a disaster. I'd rather pay less for a higher mileage example (with some pretty comprehensive history).
So that was back in October. It is back again with 250 additional miles on it, with new pictures. Someone should tell this guy which side of the depreciation curve this car is on (i.e. waiting may not be wise).

https://providence.craigslist.org/cto/d ... 36031.html
2006 CADILLAC STS-V,,46,000 MI,SUPERCHARGED - $17000 (WARWICK)

2006 CADILLAC STS-V
odometer: 46511
V8 supercharged intercooled 469hp 439 plds torque 0-60 4.2 seconds,,13 second 1/4 mile
fully loaded every option navigation sunroof,,they only made 1501 of these cars and MSRP WAS $77,100
VERY CLEAN AND RUNS LIKE NEW,,selling for $17,000,,serious buyers please call or text
I think he had already reduced the price - I may have posted that. Anyway down to $17k. He's clearly inching his way down and taking months to accept slightly lower figures. So obviously he probably wouldn't let this go for $15k. Though 46k is actually pretty low mileage assuming no sketchy history.

24 new pictures, which are decent. And check out that giant carport.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I've never really seen this kind of thing on Craigslist before. On forums, sure.

This is a decent price for the mileage.
kevm14

Cadillac STS-V hunt

Post by kevm14 »

This is much more realistic from a time/budget standpoint. It may be my next purchase for all I know, but I'd be replacing the STS and I haven't finished fixing that yet...

Here is every STS-V on Autotrader under $15k:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... stRecord=0

There are 9. Actually, 8. One is a V6.

Cheapest is this black 2007 with 118k. $9,988 in Hollywood, FL.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing
2007 Cadillac CTS V!! Bose sound, navigation, sunroof, front an rear park assist, comfort access, keyless go, blue tooth, satellite radio, heated and air conditioned power memory front seats and alloy wheels. At Carsntoyz we strive to make your car buying experience smooth and painless. Financing is available for all credit tiers. We also offer extended warranties to give peace of mind.
Whoops!

The free Carfax is pretty bad.

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/a ... FK8_L5nBO4

6 owners. Accident reported. Accident in 2012 with just under 50k. It was already on its 4th owner. Hell it was auctioned in 2009.
Accident reported
- Vehicle involved in a sideswipe collision
- Involving front impact
with another motor vehicle
- Involving left front impact
- Left front primarily damaged
- Damage to front
- Disabling damage reported
- Estimated damage exceeds $1,000
- Vehicle towed
- Airbags did not deploy
5th owner owned it for 2 months in 2016. 6th and current owner bought it in 2016 with 81k and drove it all the way to now with 118k.

Actually the first owner doesn't really count. Like 500 miles. And the 5th owner doesn't really count. So 4 owners instead of 6? That's a little more reasonable.

Definitely some repair history.
kevm14

Re: Cadillac STS-V hunt

Post by kevm14 »

Yay New Jersey!

2007, 109,648 miles. $11,990
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Looks alright. Carfax: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/a ... QNFNAQtSWA

That's better. Only 2 owner, no accidents. Much less interesting repair history. Not terrible overall. But it's New Jersey. Did I learn my lesson?
5d33b473af2a4bb8babbbcae12497d01.jpg
Either way I do think $12k is a perfectly reasonable, general budget range for one of these. I mean I could straight trade my V but I'm not going to do that.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

My god, hasn't this been for sale like forever???

https://providence.craigslist.org/cto/d ... 49664.html
2006 CADILLAC STS-V,,46,000 MI,SUPERCHARGED - $15900 (WARWICK)

2006 CADILLAC STS-V
VERY CLEAN AND RUNS LIKE NEW,,selling for $15,900 serious buyers please call or text
Don't remember? Here, check out these pictures.
Attachments
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:32 pm https://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/6732582585.html

2006 cadillac sts-v
VERY CLEAN AND RUNS LIKE NEW,,selling for $18,500,,serious buyers please call or text show contact info
Fairly uncommon to find something this low mileage, and this clean overall (some buff marks in paint but it's black) locally. I am a little suspicious about this car. Mainly the ad text. It sounds like someone bought it to flip. I know it is registered but if this was owned by an actual enthusiast, I would expect a lot more text, not a bunch of classic sales pitch items ("runs like new" is a red flag). Says one owner but $100 says he was not the original owner. No one says "one owner" if they are the owner. They say "I bought this car new in 2005" or whatever.

Flipping in and of itself is not an issue. I just worry about more unscrupulous things like accident repairs (perhaps also undocumented), floods, etc. I don't know that this is bargain basement cheap for the mileage, but it's definitely on the low end for the mileage, at least based on what I know. I have done no recent market research. Point is, if it is a flip, then that means they have EVEN LESS into it than this price, which already seems good.

I see more than 1 Michelin and at least one Continental. Yeah, this car would need to be looked over very thoroughly, and obviously a Carfax for good measure.

It's just a little bit too...."if I picked this up for $14k I am sure I could flip it for $18k, it presents well, low mileage, all the classic things."

It just seems like a trap. I don't know that I'd call it a scam (it would be a scam at $5,000 or whatever) but it seems like the kind of thing that someone would be like "I can't believe it, I found this super clean, low mile STS-V, and it's local, and the price is actually reasonable" and then it just turns into a disaster. I'd rather pay less for a higher mileage example (with some pretty comprehensive history).
And here it is. October of 2018! Started at $18k. This is intriguing. And very local. Meant to be?

It is advertised with an additional 256 miles since the original October 2018 ad (and actually ZERO listed extra since May of 2019...) and for all I know, it started even higher than that!! I need a Carfax on this thing.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:55 am
kevm14 wrote:https://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/6732582585.html

2006 cadillac sts-v

So that was back in October. It is back again with 250 additional miles on it, with new pictures. Someone should tell this guy which side of the depreciation curve this car is on (i.e. waiting may not be wise).

https://providence.craigslist.org/cto/d ... 36031.html
2006 CADILLAC STS-V,,46,000 MI,SUPERCHARGED - $17000 (WARWICK)

2006 CADILLAC STS-V
VERY CLEAN AND RUNS LIKE NEW,,selling for $17,000,,serious buyers please call or text
I think he had already reduced the price - I may have posted that. Anyway down to $17k. He's clearly inching his way down and taking months to accept slightly lower figures. So obviously he probably wouldn't let this go for $15k. Though 46k is actually pretty low mileage assuming no sketchy history.

24 new pictures, which are decent. And check out that giant carport.
Check out my bold highlights from May 2019. Amazing. He is now asking $15,900.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Found it.

https://newenglandautosales.blogspot.co ... arged.html

At least I know a dealer ad when I see it. I need the VIN.
Attachments
2006 STS-V Warwick.pdf
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

So this STS-V is the last of his inventory from when he was using that Blogspot site to sell cars. Which seems fairly terrible.

Here is the current inventory on CL:
https://providence.craigslist.org/searc ... 0&sort=rel

Now...what the hell is wrong with it??