Cadillac CTS-V2 hunt

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: Cadillac CTS-V2 hunt

Post by kevm14 »

I don't know that I trust any of the mainstream car value sites with an older, somewhat rare enthusiast car like the V1. That said I am looking up the values of my car (2005, 122k) just so I know what they say. Without doing a lot of new research I feel like the realistic private sale price is probably in the $10-12k range. I think more than $12k is probably not realistic and I think under $10k is probably not realistic either for my particular car. Probably worth more in the northeast, too.

KBB in excellent private value:
Private Party Range
$7,703 - $10,774
Private Party Value
$9,239

Edmunds in outstanding condition private value:
$9,434

NADA doesn't do private sale values.

Here's what's on Autotrader nationwide. 15 V1s (04-07).
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... stRecord=0

Cheapest is $9995 at a dealer with 146k. Clean Carfax.

Most expensive is $21,900 with 35,825 miles at a dealer.

Ones around 122k are:
05 with 108.6k for $13,400 but it's blacked out a bit and looks kinda ghetto.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

05 with 134k for $10,999 at a dealer.

Highest mileage is 200k on an 05 and they want $12,999.

I still think about $12k is what my car should be worth given all the factors. Then again the wheels are starting to look like shit.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Edmunds private sale value in clean condition (one down from the top) for this Texas V2 is $20,566. Realistically they are almost always more.

Dealer retail is $24,673 which frankly is probably about right for the mileage. Not sure why I'd pay the dealer tax. I guess dealers open up financing options for people, not that that's a good idea.

Hagerty says:
Hagerty V2 values.PNG
It's a classic car site so condition is more relevant than mileage - there is no way to enter mileage. But, I think Fair is correct for this V2 by their standards (which go all the way up to like Concours value). And in Fair it shows $23k. Minus 10% for autos though in the real world the penalty seems larger to me. It even has a note for manual wagons which are certainly the high value unicorns.

Also says the average V2 (all years, mileages, conditions) is about $32k and that does seem about right.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

That Utah one sounded legit, weird that it had as many typos as it did. You should ask them what OnStart is.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

He got back to me. I'll paste everything. Here's his first response:
Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the interest - sorry about missing your first note, I've received a lot more inquiries about the car then I expected to and frankly have struggled to keep up with it all.

A potential out of town buyer has scheduled an inspection for the car on Monday but as far as I'm concerned it's still for sale (no deposits). Happy to answer any questions you may have. I've received a lot of requests for additional photos so here are some more attached for reference.

In the interest of full disclosure I'm sending photos of as much of the road wear as I can to ensure no one's time is waited. Don't let them deter you, it's still a remarkably good condition car.

Kind Regards,

--
Aaron Smith
832 768-0901
smithab0@gmail.com
And he sent two pics unsolicited:
20200410_105947.jpg
20200410_105840.jpg
Here is what I just sent back to him:
Thanks, appreciate the reaching out. I am….very out of town. But your car is the right mileage/condition/price that I am looking for.

I actually have an 05 CTS-V and while it stays in the garage most of the year (I have 4 other cars…it’s a whole thing), I have always wanted a V2 manual. That’s my quick story.

I do have a few questions. In no particular order (and we can do a phone call if easier but I actually like the e-mail format – gets my thoughts straight and documents everything):
- Would you be able to divulge why you are selling the car? What are you driving now and/or replacing it with?
- When did you say you bought it and at what mileage? The Carfax is weird and says there were 3 owners.
- Was your plan basically to get the warranty replacement supercharger and then do the Hennessey upgrade stuff or did that decision come later?
- Did you say you have done all 4 shocks? Carfax is unclear. I definitely see some shock replacement. Also, what do you mean by bushings? Control arm bushings or something connected to the shock?
- Do you have the rest of the Hennessey kit (i.e. the mufflers and I guess headers) that you didn’t install?
- Considering I am very out of town (up in RI actually), anything else you would like to mention about the car (good or bad) aside from the road chip type stuff? Or anything else that you’d consider “wear and tear?”

Thanks, that should do it for now. Like I said, I am pretty far and would realistically have to have to car shipped so I’m a ways off from being able to do anything and honestly I’m not going to jump out of my skin to compete with a more local buyer – I am not in a big rush, just happened to see the advertisement. But the car sounds very nice. Thanks again for the response.

-Kevin
Adam

Post by Adam »

Is now the wrong time to offer $100 for your V?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I'm trying to figure out if my uncle or Bill are viable options to sell my car. I figure it's probably worth $10-12k and I'd like to think closer to $12k since it's pretty sorted.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

He replied. I have to buy this car somehow. But I don't think I can mobilize myself quick enough and I certainly don't have spousal approval at this time (haven't even brought it up). To be honest basically every car I've ever purchased has happened after an argument. That's just par for the course.
Happy to take a stab at your questions Kevin:

To be honest, I've maintained and driven this car with the intention of owning it for the rest of its life (or mine). Unfortunately, at the end of March I was laid off from work and have struggled to justify 3 cars (none of which are being driven much right now) when I also have a mortgage, student debt, and a pretty tough job market ahead of me. Maybe one day I'll find at CTS-V as nice as mine to re-buy or perhaps I'll just hold out for the CT5 manual in 2022 if I can get back on my feet by then. Right now I'd just like a little extra padding in my emergency fund.

So I bought the car in September 2012 from Planet Ford in North Houston. My original Autotrader add did indeed have an error on the mileage reference at purchase; I bought it with 44K miles and got it confused with one of my other cars which I bought with ~20K miles around the same time. I noticed it when I read the title yesterday and updated the add accordingly. I was told at the time by the Ford dealer that I was the second owner but I've never pulled a CarFax for it - would be curious to see who it shows at the 2nd owner. Perhaps the Ford dealer had to do a title transfer into their own name between the original owner and me?

I read about the supercharger Technical Service Bulletin from GM on one of the CTS-V message boards and mentioned it to my local dealer the next time I was in their service department. Without any under-the-table dealings they were able to create/find the sufficient snout bearing rattle to justify a full replacement of the blower. Can't say it was timed to coincide with the Hennessey upgrade on purpose but they did occur within about 10 months of each other. Back then, Hennessey's stage one package was 100% bolt-on and they would actually just mail the parts to you. Once the hardware was installed, you had the option of either mailing them your ECU or taking the car to their shop for tuning. I've thought about taking it to stage 2 (heads, cam, injectors, etc.) but I really like that I don't have to worry about the temperature gauge, oil pressure, etc. every time I drive the car. In my experience, most cars can handle a 15% power bump without an impact to reliability or driving style.

GM's magnetic ride control is one of the best performing suspensions I've ever driven. However, the design doesn't support seal rebuilds or fluid swaps so when they leak (which I'm told they all do eventually), a new OEM replacement is the only option. I had the rears replaced under warranty (thank goodness) and the fronts done about a year ago at a nearby Meineke shop. They cost ~$1,000 each and will leak again, eventually, but hopefully not for another few years. I'm handy in the garage and enjoy working on my cars but I don't mess with spring compressors - to dangerous. Not sure why the Meineke work didn't show up on Carfax and assume they would have some sort of reporting relationship since they are a national chain. The rubber suspension bushings and boots were replaced by Firestone at the 100,000 mile mark. I actually called them today after being prompted by another potential buyer to ask if their lifetime alignment program was transferable with the car...unfortunately it isn't.

I only bought/installed the exhaust mid section/x-pipe and didn't go for the long tube headers or aftermarket mufflers because I still wanted it to sound like a Cadillac. I've ridden in V's that had Magnaflow systems, Corsa systems, etc. but felt like they all had a reverb/drone at highway speeds or would crackle too much during pedal lift. Just wasn't for me. I kept the car has as close to a stock sound as possible while still supporting the additional air flow and power bump.

The car overall is in solid shape. No leaks. No rattles. All the bells & whistles work. I've priced it to ensure it sells this month but am happy to work with out of town buyers who want additional photos, 3rd party inspections, or transport logistics.

Kind Regards,

--
Aaron Smith
832 768-0901
smithab0@gmail.com
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I sent him an annoying and wishy washy reply but it's all I have and I'd rather be honest even though I'm sure he doesn't need to worry about my whining with other people looking at the car.
Aaron,

Thanks again for the thoughtful and detailed response. Sorry to hear about your situation but things are definitely crazy right now.

As for me, I am still interested in the car in general but my main hang-ups are all logistics on my end which is not really your problem. In the interest of transparency I am struggling with:
1) Would prefer to have my V sold or secure a buyer – it’s probably worth about half of your car but that makes the transaction much more reasonable on my end. I am working with my uncle but not sure what it will yield. I am not going to sell my V to the general public right now (I understand your situation may be different).
2) Can’t seem to get myself straight on whether I want to hire a 3rd party inspection (never used one – curious what your experience is if/when that happens for other potential buyers).
3) Related to #2, I can’t figure out how I could actually bring the car home. Fly out and drive back? 3rd party inspection and ship?

Unfortunately as you can see I don’t have my act together but I am just being honest about where I am here. I have the funds to purchase the car but am clearly not setup to move quickly…

A friend of mine suggested that it would make it easier to get a buyer if you sold it on eBay. Given the interest you are receiving that is probably not necessary but the process is much more managed and would probably make someone like me more likely to pull the trigger sight unseen because there are buyer protections.

Keep me in the loop though. I think the car will sell quickly.

-Kevin
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

As of yesterday the ad was still up. Have not reached back out but considering.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Still up. Think I will e-mail him.