Chevrolet SS hunt

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Chevrolet SS hunt

Post by kevm14 »

Bob found a "high mileage" 2014 SS for like $18k, one owner, no accidents, 119k. Of course it was gone immediately. But that begs the question...should I be considering, at some point, a used one of those as a daily driver? I have said often that it would sort of be my dream daily driver. Because it is not replacing my V, an auto is fine, which is good, because the manuals command a heavy premium. In fact, the cheapest are like $30k.

I could make a significant case for the SS over an STS-V as a daily.

Pros:
- Faster. They run like 13.0 sec @ 109.4 mph to 12.9 sec @ 111 mph.
- Straight up LS3, no bullshit. That's a pro for sure. Sounds WAY cooler out of the box than the STS-V. Every review raves about the sound - they are surprisingly loud when you stand on it. Not sure if they have dual mode exhaust but probably?
- Same transmission as the STS-V (known to be pretty bulletproof)
- Better handling
- Significantly roomier inside, which is always good for a daily, especially the back seat.
- Probably fancy enough as configured and they were all sold basically the same way which means finding one should actually be easier than the STS-V (EDIT: I got confused, I meant CTS-V2), plus they did make more (~2,500 STS-Vs total and wiki says 12,860 total for SS production so 5x more is significant even though both are considered low production). Hopefully the Bose is decent.
- 2014 only was no MR and there is an appeal to regular shocks from a maintenance standpoint (same as with the STS-V)

Cons:
- Worse ride, especially the original non-MR ones. I have never driven one and I doubt I'd have a problem with the 2014 but the 2015 had MR and still a performance tuned suspension. Later I think they softened it a little bit.
- Tend to be more expensive right now but that could change as time and miles accrue. Offerings like this should become MORE common, not less. Hopefully it wasn't an anomaly though.

Point is, I think Bob has a point and maybe waiting for the right, well kept, higher mileage SS is what I should really do. As a daily, I would say it is just about the top of my list - I just didn't think I could afford one. Realistically it might actually be a couple years before this happens but I can look at the market in the meantime. That's what these threads are for. I will say it would be better to buy in a down economy (for ALL of the cars I am looking for) so for whatever that's worth....
kevm14

Re: Chevrolet SS hunt

Post by kevm14 »

Current cheapest on Autotrader:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... =546284696

White 2014 with 105k. $21k.

Bob, was that one private or a dealer? It looked like a dealer.

Private should save a couple thousand anyway but that one was probably underpriced a little bit.
Bob

Post by Bob »

The one I saw for $18,xxx was in California at a Toyota dealer. They clearly didn't price it based on the actual market and it disappeared in a day as a result.

Weirdly, I think the dealer SS prices may be lower than the private party prices. This is probably due to the large percentage of enthusiast owners who overvalue their car :)
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yeah good point. That might very well be the case. Well, feel free to post them to this thread as you find them. I don't know about CA (I guess in that case, buying completely blind and shipping may have been the way to go but still not sure if I would feel comfortable) but somewhere in the east could be possible.

I mean, I really would love a one owner, highway driven SS...price should be reasonable given some real mileage (that one was around 20k/yr).

I'd also think that the usual things would have failed by then and have been taken care of. That's always my argument anyway.

Hopefully in a couple years I can afford a better daily driver than what I have purchased up until this point. I mean, excluding the SRX (which is really not for me), the most I've spent on an actual daily driver is $5000 and that was the STS going on 3 years ago.

I think the real discussion is...what do I do first? Replace my V with a V2? Or replace the STS with the next thing? In some ways it makes sense to upgrade my V1 to a V2 and continue along with the STS. But, if I put it back on the road soon, maybe I'll scratch that itch (and save myself some bucks).

I do need to get the STS back up to snuff and hopefully get that tune for it. That may satisfy me through 200k at which point it will be worth like 2 grand I would assume.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

So the SS is going to have to have over 100k otherwise they are still $30k, even autos....

2015, 52,921 miles, $29,950, at a VW dealer in NJ.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

2015, 75,718 miles, $29,887, at a GMC dealer in NJ. Complete with brake dust still on front wheels. I assume auto.

Wait, stupid site. That was within 200 miles. Hang on. OK, so my statement holds for stuff that is "local."

2014, 62,653 miles, $17,900. Sold at a dealer in MO with a 3/5 rating. Looks like Holden badges and exhaust. Not sure if I believe the price with the mileage.

Everything else is starts at $21k (like that white one I found; it is also on Cars.com).

2014, 60,572 miles, $24,995. In Omaha, NE...

So by that pricing model it makes sense that by 100k, the value would fall from $25k down to a little over $20k. Over 100k it should drop further.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:55 pm 2014, 62,653 miles, $17,900. Sold at a dealer in MO with a 3/5 rating. Looks like Holden badges and exhaust. Not sure if I believe the price with the mileage.
I should have just checked the free Carfax. Salvage title.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Oh my.

I always envied these guys that buy late model cars (in this case I think he had it from new) and then mod the hell out of them.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/ ... 03429.html

And this is right up my alley, too. Thing looks stock other than when wearing the drag radials. It even has factory mufflers. I would assume the 716 rwhp is through cutouts but still this thing is one hell of a sleeper.
2016 CHEVY SS 716WHP 10.3 @135 HAS 37K MILES CLEAN - $38500 (QUEENS)

2016 Chevy SS
fuel: gas
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
$38,500 takes the car along with all the factory parts in storage. For the Welds with skinnies (Drag Pack) add $2300__ show contact info
I HAVE TRACK and DYNO VIDS

2016 Chevy SS slipstream blue best color (my opinion lol) 37K MILES 716 WHP 10.3 @ 135 WITH MAJOR ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT
LSA BLOWER W 2.55 PULLEY ZL1 LID
RCR LUNATI CAM 219/237 GREAT PWR and WORKS WITH STOCK STALL
RICK CRAWFORD TUNE
JAY POSNER BUILD
BTR SPRINGS & RETAINERS
PERFORMANCE CHROMOLY PUSHRODS LIFTERS
ARP HEAD STUDS NOT BOLTS "STUDS" BETTER
LS9 HEAD GASKETS___85lb INJECTORS
FLEX FUEL SETUP WITH SENSOR
BRAND NEW CTS-V FUEL PUMP
JMS FOR MORE FUEL
KOOKS 1 7/8 LT's with 3" X PIPE systemback to FACTORY DUAL MODE MUFFLERS
WEAPON X HEAT EXCHANGER WORKS GREAT
WELD RTS 17s with MTs et street Rs & 17 forge star front runner skinnies with new tires
FACTORY RIMS have POTENZA RE 71s rear &New Nitto Motivo's in the front.
LOOK THROUGH THE PICS YOU CAN SEE THE CAR PARKED IN A GARAGE. IT NEVER SLEPT OUTSIDE SINCE OWNED.
This is like my dream car basically. Or maybe I should say, dream sleeper. Sleeper daily. Etc.

Looking closer, it may require E85 but not sure and not sure what it would run on straight pump 93. Of course the street tires also would obliterate the ET so realistically this is not a 10.3 @ 135 car on pump 93 on stock tires. But it is likely still trapping 130. And that's with zero lag.
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I doubt this would pass my state inspection but also interesting.

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto ... 20238.html
2014 Chevy SS - $15000

2014 Chevy SS
condition: like new
cylinders: 8 cylinders
delivery available
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 50000
paint color: white
title status: salvage
transmission: other
type: other
Selling my 2014 Chevy SS street car for a steal of a deal! Need gone ASAP. Baby on the way.

WORLD RECORD HOLDER FOR ALL MOTOR NO POWER ADDERS CHEVY SS WITH A HIRED DRIVER!!!!!!

Car went 10.51 @ 129mph in a quarter mile.

Car can be set up for nitrous or procharger, suspension work is all set up for street/strip.
Car is a killer.

Want a car that your friends will make fun of, Your girlfriend will hate, your bank will own, but screams bald eagles and lacks testosterone? This car is the car for you.

Tons of aftermarket parts, contact for more pics and details.

Need gone by Monday. Call or text only.
show contact info ask for frank.
All motor. Damn.
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
00p0p_aQZtJf1b9CC_1200x900.jpg