Mercedes E55 AMG hunt (W211)

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: Mercedes E55 AMG hunt (W211)

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:10 pm Here's a list of stuff for my NC trip:
[X]- Investigate rear end, specifically right rear. I think something may be clunking back there and just need to wiggle all the things and see if I can find something obviously worn out.
I found nothing amiss when I inspected before my diff fluid change. Research suggests that it is the shocks going bad. It's not just an occasional clunk but on certain impacts the rear will actually sort of jump like a solid axle car. I honed in on this more specifically when driving back to back with my STS which does not do this. So I guess eventually I will need to buy a set of rear shocks. I may not bother with this for my trip as it's mostly going to be smooth driving. They are easy to change and I could be convinced to splurge due to my influx of cash but maybe I'll just wait on this one. I should inspect again to see if either rear shock is actually leaking. Leaking is a fairly good indicator of impending shock failure and could put me over the edge to replace. If dry I guess I'll wait. That's a plan.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Went to https://monroneylabels.com/ and made myself a window sticker for $7.99.
04 E55 window sticker.jpg
One of the PDFs is just the PDF version of the sticker. The other PDF is the full options list and you can see what my car is actually missing. I'm glad it has the ones it has but it is missing many things.
Attachments
04 E55 options filled out.pdf
(235.92 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
2004 E55 Monroney window sticker.pdf
(44.62 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

[X]- Investigate rear end, specifically right rear. I think something may be clunking back there and just need to wiggle all the things and see if I can find something obviously worn out.
- Replace rear shocks as a result of a final inspection/decision on the rear end thing.

[X]- Consider doing the right rear door lock module. Most of the time the rear passenger cannot open the door from the inside. If you lock and unlock the door manually it will occasionally work but this is obviously not proper. This module is like $300 and seems to be a little fiddly to change so there is a reason this is at the bottom of my list, even though using the car for vacation would suggest all doors need to be fully functional......

- MK Ultra TCU tune!!! See other thread. Very excited about this!
More progress. Ordered rear shocks. Did the right rear door latch module. Ordering TCU tune.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

[X]- Adjust parking brake to make sure it is not dragging
More reading on the forum led me to question my parking brake adjustment. For some reason they can get too tight, drag a little, and cause some vibes at highway speeds. I just happened to notice that at 75+ there are some very slight vibes and while it could also just be my worn out tires, I started to wonder if I should check my parking brake adjustment.

I never use the parking brake because it's an automatic. But one day I decided to engage it at 30 mph just to see how tight it is and how it grabs. Well it works alright but it sure did feel tight. I didn't get it very far down at all before it started to slow the car down.

Anyway I adjusted it and I'll post details in a separate thread.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

[X]- Replace rear shocks as a result of a final inspection/decision on the rear end thing.
Man I am making some serious progress. Fixed.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

[X]- MK Ultra TCU tune!!! See other thread. Very excited about this!
Done. See other thread.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I need to think about what tools/stuff to bring. Before I list the tools I guess I can list the possible things that could happen and plan from there.

- Crank position sensor. I have a new one in a box.
- TCU (might want to put the stock back in if something weird happens but this is very unlikely)
- Alternator voltage regulator? I don't have a spare and I guess changing it in the car is tricky. Maybe I should look into the procedure, figure out the tools, and buy a spare regulator.
- An airbag could blow but....I don't have a spare part for that and in the event I did decide to do this I would probably find a harbor freight for tools if it was really an emergency.
- Extra oil though I have not yet baselined oil consumption after fixing some leaks and switching to the M1 Formula M so this will be a bit of discovery. Nominally I should bring a quart per 1,000 miles plus an extra. What is that, 3?
- I should check the trans fluid but if it's fine I probably won't bring any. If it's a little low that may force me to bring some. Hopefully it's fine.
- Power steering fluid? I could simply throw a quart in with the other stuff.
- Coolant? Shouldn't need any. I would like to change it yet but still not sure I will get to it. I don't think it is using any.

So for tools judging by the above things, I think I'll need:
- 1/4" and 3/8" drive ratchets with various extensions and universals
- 10mm (3/8" and 1/4") and 8mm (1/4")
- E8 for the CPS
- Assorted screw drivers?

I may need to come up with a few more assorted tools but don't want to be ridiculous about it. Trying to think about things that I would say "I can't believe I didn't bring that, I was talking about it before the trip" or something.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:39 pm I need to think about what tools/stuff to bring. Before I list the tools I guess I can list the possible things that could happen and plan from there.

- Alternator voltage regulator? I don't have a spare and I guess changing it in the car is tricky. Maybe I should look into the procedure, figure out the tools, and buy a spare regulator.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/391 ... ost6014777
Screenshot_20210607-155659.png
Need to be deep sockets I believe.

FCP Euro has a Bosch for $39. Pretty affordable though it can be a fight because access is tight and those screws can strip out...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:39 pm I need to think about what tools/stuff to bring. Before I list the tools I guess I can list the possible things that could happen and plan from there.
- Extra oil though I have not yet baselined oil consumption after fixing some leaks and switching to the M1 Formula M so this will be a bit of discovery. Nominally I should bring a quart per 1,000 miles plus an extra. What is that, 3?
That seems right. I calculated the trip should be in the 2,000 mile range. So at a quart per 1000 that rounds up to 3. It still rounds up to 3 if it's a quart per 800.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

New tires! Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. Just put like 200 miles on them so I broke them in and stuff.

Basically I am extremely satisfied with them. These might be the real successors to the Pilot Super Sport even though they are all seasons. I immediately noticed a few things. The sidewalls are definitely stiffer than the Continentals. The steering response on center is more immediate. They just feel really good. Some of the initial stiffness was because the rears were over inflated.

But on my drive it just confirmed what I already identified at 30 mph. Here are some things.
- Pretty smooth ride. I mean, it's new Michelins. That's their gig.
- Doesn't seem to be pulling.
- It steers so nicely now. Just a small correction and it changes direction. Just a small adjustment needed to keep it straight. It's just awesome.

Haven't tried any handling yet but very impressed so far. This car is such a great highway cruiser. Just eats up the miles. Plus I showed up a couple of Audis including a late model S4 and I think there was also an S5. The S4 guy gave me a wave.