Mazda 3 headlight fiasco

Wiring, DIY, lighting, etc.
kevm14

Mazda 3 headlight fiasco

Post by kevm14 »

Starting this thread for Bill. I'll let him explain the problem if he wants. For now, here are some links to possibly put together an HID conversion:

Right headlight, sedan, HID, complete, $105 shipped: https://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-07-08-Ma ... H&LH_BIN=1

Left headlight, sedan, HID, hopefully complete, $79.99 shipped: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Driver-Left-He ... 262be0f8c8

Well that's a good start, no? If they come with bulbs and ballast then all you may need to figure out is wiring. I think they use the same 9005 high beam. No idea what is required for power but the ballast would take 12V and deal with everything else internally to the housing. I am not sure what else may be required (possibly different fuses). Should check some forums or something. This may be an affordable solution. And you'll get WAY better low beams out of it.
bill25

Re: Mazda 3 headlight fiasco

Post by bill25 »

I need to get something ASAP. I might look into this more, but need to get the lights working now. I'm going to take the adapter to a couple parts stores and see if they have any connectors that fit, and do that now. I should have done this conversion during the better weather. These are pretty cheap for what they are, but I am not really looking to do a $200 upgrade at this point in the car's life. I may be more inclined if I can't find an adequate connector to the adapter. In good shape, these average a couple hundred each on car-part.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

It looks like the headlights go 04-06 and 07-09. Was there a refresh?

I would say if you could complete the swap for $200 or less that is probably worth it for the remainder of the life of the car.

Here is the store that had a good price on the driver's side headlight: http://www.ebaystores.com/Auto-Store-Pa ... 1338793568
Adam

Post by Adam »

What is the actual problem?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Crappy design + age. Recurring headlight issues. Surprisingly, he doesn't seem to have dim bulbs. It acts like the bulb is out entirely and most often is not.

There is an electrical plug adapter between the actual headlight bulb and the car harness. Really strange. Anyway he's had issues with electrical connections. May need a new pigtail on the car side, and new adapters. But he's had some trouble getting replacement adapters that fit.

So long ago he entertained the idea of converting over to HID. His low beams, even working, suck. And they often don't work. Seems to make sense. I'd do it for $200. Not sure what else is involved though. Car side pigtail could need changing. Maybe fuses? Hopefully not all of the wiring. HID bulbs are 35W and with the ballast most likely end up at or below the standard 55W of a halogen bulb. It could be plug and play. Surely someone else has tried it. There is a difference between early and late first gen cars. I think there is a difference between sedan and hatch also. All were available with HID.
Adam

Post by Adam »

How about LED bulbs? They're cheaper and don't require a ballast (but sometimes require an inline anti-flicker device).

We out some in Jenn's Seville and the light output is better. No physical mods or screws required to install. That car has factory projectors but her car didn't option for the accompanying HIDs.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://youtu.be/FPcE-fWHmww

This is a pretty good video.

I wouldn't bother with LEDs unless you really know what you're buying. Which is possible with the internet. But I wouldn't go on Amazon and buy some random LED that lists as a compatible interchange.

I'd still do the HID because he's still have to solve the connector issue. The idea with the HID conversion is he will get replacement stuff for what is broken. And how much are good LED bulbs anyway? These things have fans...and if he ends up going through burned out LED bulbs then the whole thing was pointless. I think factory HIDs are going to last far longer.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Good quality LEDs are more than HID conversion.

https://headlightrevolution.com/product ... -style/h7/
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Yeah, the bulbs are actually fine, it is the connectors for the car that suck. I'd really like to get new factory connectors and cut the old ones of and solder the new on. This should not be this difficult.