Dead Roadmaster Battery <1 year old

Wiring, DIY, lighting, etc.
Fast_Ed

Re: Dead Roadmaster Battery <1 year old

Post by Fast_Ed »

Whelp, fuse 35 is also interior lights. Let the interior lights go out again (not easy to hold the door button down while holding probes) and the voltage drop disappeared. I charged up the battery and disconnected it. Need to let it settle for a real reading but I should probably sleep instead.
Inaccurate voltage reading a couple minutes after shutting down
Inaccurate voltage reading a couple minutes after shutting down
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

Will check to see how much the battery self discharged this morning. If none or not much, I'm going to re connect the battery cables and disconnect the alternator.

I replaced the alternator a week or two ago. I've heard that AutoZone doesn't always replace the voltage regulator on their alternators.

Could easily be a drain through that, especially since I was confident of no drains though the fuse box until I started diagnosing with the interior lights on (sigh..)
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

OK I get it. And yeah that kind of stuff has happened to me.

Not too impressed with that Autozone alternator. But, maybe you can use my meter on the alternator cable and verify current flow with the engine off (or on, for fun).

Not sure what you do about that...try another one? Rockauto or Napa would be better. A lot of times Advance can get like AC Delco but it's usually a lot more than Rockauto...but Advance often has 20% coupons for online purchase (pick up in store) which goes a long way for expensive parts.
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

I bought the lifetime AutoZone alternator so I have a lifetime of crappy alternators to go with my alignments.

I'll just keep making them give me new ones until I get a good one. Breakfast done cooking, will have results "shortly"
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

Give em the clamps
Give em the clamps
Score! Measurable drain via new alternator. Thanks AutoZone.
That alternator feed is live!
That alternator feed is live!
Final test is to disconnect the alternator and see if battery drains still. Bet it doesn't.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Autozone pisses me off. Triple tested eh? Maybe test each component once instead of the same one three times...
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

Just like software, the consumer does the real testing.
Rock solid after 5+ hours
Rock solid after 5+ hours
Picking up my 'new' alternator tomorrow morning. Roadmaster mostly reassembled.. alternator job is nothing on this car.

You can bet I'll be checking voltages before starting the car on Monday. At least I can do that via the cig lighter.