Generator solutions

Power out? How about an inverter connected to your car?
kevm14

Re: Generator solutions

Post by kevm14 »

Another 3 months. Decided to test run it. But before I did that, I decided to look into the issue it has where gas pools in the intake below the carb.

Basic steps I took were to remove the air filter and housing/adapter to the carb. Then I pulled the fuel bowl. It wasn't too bad but I cleaned it out. I cleaned the float valve and the seat, and adjusted the float slightly to close a little earlier. I guess the bowl was overflowing into the intake after shut down though I always shut the fuel off. I also blew out the main jet, which didn't seem bad, either. Put it all back together and test ran for 15 minutes or so. Curious if this problem is fixed. I'll know next time I use it - I just pull the air filter and inspect inside.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Checked on it. No fuel in the intake. Required the choke to start. Yay.

However I did an extended load test with my air compressor. It started acting weird, requiring the choke to run and not really responding to the metering jet adjustment. I figured the float level was too low from my prior adjustment.

So I adjusted it back to level or so. A shorter retest revealed no more issues. Hopefully fuel doesn't start pooling again. We'll see I guess. This is the first time I really got to experiment with float level and understand how the wrong level impacts the way it runs. I think the gas inside the float splashes around when running and even though it picks up from the bottom, if the level gets too low (and my tank was running low which slows how fast the bowl fills), it may intermittently suck air which I think is what mine was doing.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Test run and oil change. Added some MMO to the gas. Ran well. Oil was pretty dark. Probably should do the fuel filter and maybe air filter.
WP_20181007_16_02_17_Pro.jpg
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Another test run. Around 46F.

There was fuel (or oil?) in the intake again, which I checked before trying to start it. Because of that pool, I gave it a pull with no choke and it started immediately. However, it smoked and coughed for a good minute or two before finally clearing up. The smoke was white so....maybe it's not fuel but actually oil. After it cleared up, it had no issues at all.
20190309_152847.jpg
As an experiment, for the first time ever, I actually shut the gas off at the tank and let it run off the bowl until it stalled. This will mostly drain the bowl. Then sometime in the future I will check the intake under the air filter. If there is liquid in there, I know it is oil, not gas. Because there is no gas in the bowl to leak out.

If it is oil, it would be coming from the breather hose. I would probably want to replace the guts of the breather on the side of the block. I have mentioned this before. Not exactly sure what is inside there, aside from some fibrous material that catches oil and lets it drain back to the sump. So if that material wasn't doing its job, oil could flow through it back to the intake.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

The Scotts has a strange pool in the bottom of the air intake also... And white smoke on initial start up. Wonder if it is condensation. It definitely looks thinner than oil, and if it were gas, it would start easier.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Or I could have unhooked the breather right after shutting it down. I am thinking it is actually oil though. A pool of gas and a rich misfire would do black smoke...and after months I'd expect that gas to evaporate also. Maybe.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

So despite shutting the gas off and running it until it stalled, it still had a pool in the intake. It also did not start until I turned the gas on. I still think the liquid is gas but I don't know why it burns so white unless there is some effect of the MMO, or just some oil mixed into the gas. Kind of not sure what that is.

I did also remove the breather and an OEM is like $65 so I guess mine is fine. Everything in there seemed clean (this is the cover you remove to access the valve springs and check valve clearance). I'm not sure I have a breather issue.

But I did tear the carb to intake runner gasket so now it doesn't run right. I could richen it up but that isn't right so I ordered a new gasket. I could also use RTV but I got the right paper gasket.

I also ordered a new float needle and seat.

I think the fuel shutoff is leaking past, and the needle doesn't fully stop flow. I cannot find a replacement shutoff that threads into my tank so I will ignore that for now. I think the needle should stop fuel flow.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Got my new carb to intake gasket and float needle. Scraped the old gasket off. Installed new needle which has a Viton tip. The new gasket was not the right one. The holes were wider spaced but the rest of the gasket seemed to fit. So I just punched out holes a little closer and that seemed to work. I can confirm my fuel shutoff isn't shutting off all the way. So hopefully the new needle seals tightly and prevents the gas in the intake area after sitting.

Despite taking the carb apart including the mixture rod and adjuster, it started on the first pull and ran well. I tried to put about a 50% load on it (space heater and a 500W light, which is probably right in the 2000W range) and then tweaked the governor to get 60Hz. It was slightly slow.
20190330_162932_HDR.jpg
20190330_162939.jpg
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

My father in law speculated that the gas tank outlet is a 1/8" male NPT thread. He didn't look at it but that could be right. There are some options that would thread on if that is the thread, but then what I need on the outlet is a hose barb ideally. Haven't found anything yet. The other side tends to also be threaded so I'd have to find a 1/8" NPT to barb adapter, which actually may be pretty common.

Some valves.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... itleDesc=0

Some adapters.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... itleDesc=0

Yeah I think I can probably make something work here. I would like a quarter turn shutoff. The one now is a multi-turn kind (and as established, does not fully shut off and not shutting off fully is like not shutting off at all when it comes to storage).
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Something I should have done a long time ago.
20190602_134315.jpg
20190602_134319.jpg
Leaving the one on the tank open now. I ran it out of gas on the shut-off so it will be nice to see the intake not full of gas next time I use it. Pretty easy to install obviously...