Garden tractor acquisition

Mower trouble? Are 2-cycle engines the bane of your existence?
kevm14

Re: Garden tractor acquisition

Post by kevm14 »

Sigh.
Kevin, thank you for your interest in our Beet Juice Tire Ballast! Below are the dealers closest to you. Please let us know if you need anything else.

Mountain View Equipment - Plattsburg
8092 State Route 9
Plattsburg, NY 12901
Phone Number: 518-561-3682

Harvest Equipment - Swanton
482 Vermont Rte. 78
Swanton, VT 5488
Phone Number: 802-868-4184

Essex Equipment
26 Kellogg Road
Essex Junction, VT 5452
Phone Number: 802-878-5316

Thank you!

Lindsey Johnson
O: 616.608.7745
I guess New England sucks at tractor stuff.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Seems like I can find everything but the actual ballast.

Here is a gun that looks like what Rim Guard uses if you pay them to fill your tires (either at their shop or remotely).
https://www.amazon.com/Haltec-310-Liqui ... 345&sr=8-4

And here is an industrial stop leak specifically designed for liquid filled tires, so your expensive ballast doesn't leak out. Add in 1:10 ratio. 5 gallons is $175. Damn. I bet it is cheaper if you can find a local supplier.
https://www.amazon.com/MULTI-SEAL-HYDRO ... r=8-3&th=1
image.png
image.png
I like the beet juice because it is good to lower temps, less corrosive and heavier per volume than windshield washer fluid. There's only one problem: I can't find any to buy (at least not in bulk).

Also, they list pretty much every type of ballast. In warmer climates, plain water is common. Glycol would be propylene glycol (i.e. RV antifreeze). Calcium chloride is basically what they use on roads and why everything rusts in 2 seconds. MUST use a tire tube and even then...and then they list beet juice which, again, is a thing.

Here is a simple adapter that connects to a garden hose. Obviously not for snow removal machines....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-pc-Air-Water ... SwWOxbO-bO

Farmers seem to prefer liquid ballast to wheel weights. There are a couple reasons that I can think of.
1) Weights can stick out past the wheel and make the tractor wider which isn't always good.
2) Weights in large sizes very quickly become not one man operations to install.
3) Weights in large sizes are actually really expensive and not that practical.
4) You can still add a lot of weight with liquid ballast because even though it's a donut shape, you access the inner diameter of the tire. A wheel weight maxes out at the diameter of the wheel...
5) The center of gravity is lower than a wheel weight due to point #4. Better stability.

Nice comparison table.
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2009/ ... e-ballast/
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HYDRO-FLATOR-F ... Sw6iZcSPDh
image.png
image.png
HA. From 1956! Liquid tire ballast is a very old concept.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

RV antifreeze: $4.24/gal for Peak on eBay. May be cheaper elsewhere. EDIT: $2.58/gal at Walmart.
Windshield washer fluid: I've seen it at Walmart for like $1.79/gal
If I could even buy the Rim Guard/beet juice it would be like $2.50-$3.50/gal by reports. Or even like $4.

Not even going to entertain CaCl…

WIndshield washer fluid is the most practical choice by a long shot even though it is no heavier than water. Instead of 50 lbs of ballast, I would get around 37 lbs, or a little more than doubling my existing wheel weights. Probably not worth jumping through hoops though. A little concerned about long term effects from having that stuff in there for years. Seems like it would be corrosive...might even do something to the tire rubber. Not sure yet.

But this also means 37 lbs of ballast on each rear tire would only cost $18 + tax (I'd buy 10 gallons). That is considerably cheaper than even my discounted Husqvarna weights, AND heavier. So you can see how the math works out in the favor of liquid ballast, big time.

If I can find it on sale (like under $1.20/gal) I'll probably just impulse buy 10 gallons at that time. Also, with all this weight, it makes me wonder if I could actually get away without the Terra-Grips. I mean I bought them so I might as well use them but it's an interesting thought.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Sold?
Is there any problem with rust from the WWF?
Re: Windshield washer fluid to load tires?
Welcome to TBN!

Actually, no. Windshield washer fluid is formulated to be safe to use with most metals, plastics, and rubbers. The good stuff won't freeze until -20F also. I use it in my lawnmower tires. I poked a hole in one of my rears and had to replace them (after having the fluid in for about 5 years), other than the fluid turning from bright blue to a nearly clear fluid with a slight grey tint, there was no noticeable damage to either the rims or the inner parts of the tires.
I mean the active ingredient is methanol....
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

You won't have any problems with Methanol reacting with rubber tires. In my area we've used it for over 30 years. I had a 574 IH tractor with methanol in the tires for over 20 years and no problems.
Yay
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Propylene Glycol is 8.61 pounds per gallon while water is 8.34 pounds per gallon.
Propylene glycol is 3.2% heavier than water...maybe twice that over windshield washer fluid (which may be around 8?). Not a huge difference for 50% more expensive. But heavier is heavier (about 3 lbs per tire over windshield washer fluid, if my other figures are correct). And we're still talking under $30 to do the rear tires vs like $20. Not really the issue.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Comments @ Walmart reveal the stuff freezes. Not sure what that's about but if it turns solid, that won't work very well in tires. I guess it's WWF for me.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I got to try out my Harbor Freight photo tach. It's pretty cool. Just cut a small square of the reflective tape from the 2 strips they give you, and stuck it to the outer edge of the flywheel grill.

https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-p ... 66632.html

Results: Idle was way too high. It was like 1600 or maybe a touch higher. Spec is 1,350 +/- 100 rpm. I got it pretty close.

Full throttle was too low and I had previously bumped it up by ear when I first got it. It was like 3,1xx or maybe 3,2xx. Spec is 3,400 +/- 100 rpm. I got it close. I did have to adjust the cable sheath hold down a few times to make sure it would be able to fully open to the stop tab. You just bend the tab. It is not sensitive so it is not something you will over shoot. In fact you will need to bend it more than you think for just a small change.

So I bought myself another 200 rpm which seems like it will be good for everything. Brighter headlights, a little farther snow throwing, and even a touch faster travel speed if needed. I will set my Simplicity in the spring. It's probably off.

Small engines are rated at 3,600 and in fact generators need to run at 3,600. Simplicity says 3,400. I don't know why. Maybe 3,600 is just needless. Extra noise, more wear and tear, more fuel consumption.

https://youtu.be/5dKK7viAyfw
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Or I could buy this for a very reasonable $150.

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/grd/ ... 57440.html

The exhaust might be in the wrong place but otherwise I'd assume it would bolt right on. 18 HP should be perfect.
briggs 18hp opposed twin engine - $150 (wilbraham ma)

briggs opposed engine. Was removed from a yardman mower with a blown rear end. Complete tune up before it was removed and ran good.The starter needs to be replaced because the power connection on the starter broke when i tried to get the cable off.I have a starter that will go with it.This is a very clean engine with no oil leaks. show contact info
Steve
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png