Simplicity Disaster

Mower trouble? Are 2-cycle engines the bane of your existence?
bill25

Re: Simplicity Disaster

Post by bill25 »

It might be the same part for both.

I think I would rather try the rebuild on this first. Just not sure I want to depend on the old O-rings and gaskets after taking apart and only replacing the float. I don't want to spend $70+ on a kit, but not sure the difference between a 70 dollar and 10 dollar kit.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Right or $42 for Kohler kit on eBay. In the middle.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Bill may be posting but I just want to say that his carb does not seem to have an accelerator pump. Many other Command twins did but apparently not the CH23, ever.

Carb kit page with correct Kohler engine model, 76535.
https://www.partstree.com/models/ch23-7 ... 5359-s-13/
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Hopefully that solenoid doesn't go... $157

This engine seems like a Kohler unicorn. I don't think it was used very long. I think I read that somewhere. I'll have to see if I can find out the story. If this ever needs a new engine, I think I will go with something more common.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

So, interestingly, if you try to search the CH23 on Kohler's website, it doesn't return any manuals, but the CH22 does, and it says it is applicable to the CH23… Also, it says the oil capacity with oil filter is 1.7-1.9 quarts. Simplicity user's manual says 2 quarts... That could explain some of the over filling.

I used page 25 to rebuild the carb. There were like 5 extra O-rings in the package. No idea what they are for. This diagram shows 2 for the carb, and the 3 for the solenoid. maybe the carb rebuild kit included the solenoid O-rings??? I don't see anything online that maps the O-rings in the pack to what they go to.
24_690_06_EN.pdf
Kohler CH Engine Service Manual
(3.36 MiB) Downloaded 38 times
bill25

Post by bill25 »

So, I put everything together, and it started in like 1/3 the time it used to on a cold start, and it was bone dry, no starter fluid.

I shut it down, and started again.
It started right up and ran, maybe a little rich, but otherwise seemed good.

Checked the oil after a couple minutes and an hour later. Seemed fine, and at the bottom of the hash marks, no gas smell. It was mid hash marks before this, so the oil should have filled the filter now because I had changed the oil and couldn't run it since the carb was off.

I plan on checking the oil daily, without starting. I will start it again in a week to see how that goes. Once I am convinced it is good, I will add oil to at least mid hash mark. Hopefully I don't need to use it before then, as I will not actually operate this with the oil that low, and will have to add oil, which makes it a little harder to track.

The adjustment jet was open probably more than it should be. it was I think more than 4 half turns before seating, internet said it should be just a little over 2 half turns. I cleaned it and set to a little more than 2 half turns. I also took out and cleaned the main jet behind the brass solenoid sleeve piece.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

bill25 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:40 am So, interestingly, if you try to search the CH23 on Kohler's website, it doesn't return any manuals, but the CH22 does, and it says it is applicable to the CH23… Also, it says the oil capacity with oil filter is 1.7-1.9 quarts. Simplicity user's manual says 2 quarts... That could explain some of the over filling.

Doesn't that have an external oil cooler? Maybe the 1.9 end of the spec is with cooler, and Simplicity simply rounded to 2 qt. I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't expect the 2 qt spec to result in massive over filling.

Did you reset the low speed mixture? The manual explains how to set it.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

I have the oil cooler, so, I would still expect to use the higher end based on that... I would think.
Did you reset the low speed mixture? The manual explains how to set it.
The adjustment jet was open probably more than it should be. it was I think more than 4 half turns before seating, internet said it should be just a little over 2 half turns. I cleaned it and set to a little more than 2 half turns. I also took out and cleaned the main jet behind the brass solenoid sleeve piece.
I haven't had a chance to adjust more than that, but that seemed decent, maybe a little rich. I want to make sure the other problem is corrected.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yeah that makes sense, just in case you need to pull the carb again or something.

Don't forget to set it though once you are out of the woods on the fuel issue. We can use my non-contact tach to get the RPMs exactly where they are supposed to be per the manual as well (including during the mixture adjustment).
bill25

Post by bill25 »

After a week, The oil was good, and it started up in about 2 or 3 seconds. Significantly better.

I left the oil. Still need to fill. The carb definitely needs adjusting, as it stalled out as I lowered the RPMs.

The gas was pretty low according to the gauge so I filled it up. I don't want to think this is fixed only because the fuel level was too low to gravity feed into the engine.

Will continue to check the oil, and will start it up again next Saturday to see what is up. If it is still good, I'll plan to adjust the carb.