Washing machine sprung a leak

There is plenty to go wrong here, but you can repair it
kevm14

Washing machine sprung a leak

Post by kevm14 »

I threw in a load of clothes. After I put all the clothes in the washer, I noticed a puddle was forming under the machine and slowly running across the basement floor. Uh oh.

First step...get model number and look up parts with blow up diagrams to see if I could at least get an idea what might be the potential issue.
WP_20170630_07_34_41_Pro.jpg
I Looked it up on Appliance Parts Pros which gave me a couple of ideas. My main idea was the main tub gasket. They have installation videos for certain parts which showed me generally how this thing comes apart. Before I ordered anything though I wanted to inspect myself to confirm the issue.

It is remarkably easy to get to this point. 2 screws, flip the control panel over, two metal clips and the whole sheet metal housing just lifts away from the machine.
WP_20170630_09_26_06_Pro.jpg
Once I could inspect, I realized that the tub gasket seemed to be fine. I looked around back and I found the culprit.
WP_20170630_09_26_21_Pro.jpg
WP_20170630_09_26_27_Pro.jpg
This hose is how the water level sensing works. The water fills the hose and some kind of air diaphragm senses the height, probably based on the air pressure created by the water level. Anyway, this hose was halfway off the nipple. I just shoved it back on. Couldn't find a suitable clamp so oh well.

I also wanted to investigate why the tub seems to bang more than it should on the spin cycle and sit off center. So I looked at the suspension springs. I found a broken screw which made a bracket hang on by a thread.
WP_20170630_09_26_40_Pro.jpg
It looks like the screw rusted and broke. I had a fun time trying to get the piece of sheet metal screw out but I got it. And found another screw in my collection to use, which will probably rust away years down the road. At least the suspension spring stuff seems better sorted now.

I put everything back together and ran another load of clothes, with no leaking water. So I guess that was the issue.

It's funny - when I saw that water I had all these visions of like a rusty tub (of course it is plastic, they thought of that), or just getting a new machine. Not necessary. Cost incurred: zero!
kevm14

Re: Washing machine sprung a leak

Post by kevm14 »

The leak is back. Floor wet. Noticed it this morning while the demo guys were inspecting everything to get started. Of course I would be in the middle of repairing the garage electrical and this on demo day.

Took the machine apart (which is really easy) and it was NOT the same as last time which I'm not sure is good or bad. I thought the tub was leaking. Then I thought the pump was leaking. I think it was actually the drain hose. It was taped by the previous owner and I think just gave up because in the middle of running the machine to find the leak, I found the hose on the floor (and it had pumped even more water out - great). So I taped it back up. I should get a real thing for this but I think this was my issue anyway. I will run a load later to prove that. That would obviously be great.
WP_20180801_11_06_55_Pro.jpg
WP_20180801_11_07_02_Pro.jpg
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I ran a load. I think it is fixed. I will keep my eye on it.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Stopped spinning. Either the transmission exploded or the motor coupler did. Either way time to replace.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I replaced it with the Maytag commercial duty washer with the 10 year warranty. It was around $1000 delivered. So far I like it. Used the old drain hose and water hoses. I had previously upgraded the water hoses to stainless with those anti-leak check valves. The drain hose is OLD but super thick rubber. Everyone said the modern crappy plastic ones rub on concrete and eventually spring a leak.