2003 Toyota Corolla Exhaust

Manifolds to tailpipes, this can be quite exhausting
bill25

2003 Toyota Corolla Exhaust

Post by bill25 »

Some history:
I had the check engine light come on a few years ago, changed the gas cap, that fixed it.
It came on again about a year and a half ago, and I had the first O2 sensor replaced (bank 1 Sensor 1, this car only has 1 bank and 2 sensors)
The light came on about 8 months later and has been on.

A month ago I replaced the second O2 sensor (bank 1 Sensor 2) and cleaned the Mass Air Flow Sensor(MAF), this did not resolve the problem.

The only other real fix is to replace the cat for this specific code.

I ordered the cat and resonator pipe from rockauto.com. It came as 2 pieces that clamp together in the middle. The original is actually one solid piece, no clamp. It is a good thing I ordered both parts.

I replaced from the exhaust manifold to the muffler. I was able to keep the old muffler for now.
bill25

2003 Toyota Corolla Exhaust - Continued

Post by bill25 »

Steps to replace the cat and resonator pipe for a 2003 Toyota Corolla:
There are 6 bolts that need to come apart:
the bolts for the cat to exhaust manifold (2 bolts, 14mm)
the bolts to the muffler (2 bolts, 14mm)
the 2 bolts that are for the bar that goes across the center of the car
1. Soak all 6 bolts with PB Blast. A spray can about 4 bucks - Thanks Kevin that worked great.
2. Unscrew the O2 sensor that is between the cat and resonator. Probably a good idea to wire tie it to something under the car.
3. From under the car, unscrew the bolts for the cat - I used a breaker bar to get it started, then a regular ratchet was good.
4. From under the car, unscrew the bolts for the center bar.
5. From under the car on the passenger side directly in front of the rear wheel, unscrew the 2 bolts to the muffler. It is very helpful to have someone hold the resonator still for this part.
- The exhaust should be totally unbolted from the car. Slide it out of the rubber hangers and lie it on the ground under the car.
6. Pull the old cat and resonator out from under the car.
7. Assemble the new exhaust to look like the old: Connect the resonator pipe to the cat, with the clamp on loosely in the middle, just dangling. Do not tighten until the exhaust is completely bolted to the car. This connection needs to be able to slide to adjust later.
8. With someone holding the cat near the exhaust manifold under the car, slide the resonator into the hanger. There is a rubber hanger on each side of the resonator pipe.
9. Bolt the cat on to the exhaust manifold. Don't forget the new gasket.
10. Bolt the resonator to the muffler. Don't forget the muffler gasket.
11. Bolt the bar back on to the under carriage across the exhaust.
12. The exhaust should be totally bolted to the car and completely in place.
13. Tighten the nuts for the clamp to seal the resonator pipe to the cat.
14. Screw the O2 Sensor into the new exhaust.
15. Start the car and check for leaks.

Pictures will follow!
kevm14

Re: 2003 Toyota Corolla Exhaust

Post by kevm14 »

Nice job! I assume the lift worked out well. How long did it take?
bill25

Re: 2003 Toyota Corolla Exhaust

Post by bill25 »

I actually ended up borrowing a couple ramps from Tim and just used those in the driveway. That raised the car about 6 to 8 inches. The lift probably would have made things easier to access though and I would probably recommend the lift over ramps if you are trying to do this on a low car like the Corolla.

It took about 3 hours but about 45 minutes of that was spent trying to put the wrong gasket between the muffler and the resonator pipe. I thought it was the same as the gasket between the exhaust manifold and the cat. It is not.

So, I would say it could have easily been done between 2 and 2 and a half hours. Maybe less time with a lift. I had a second person, which helped a lot, I would recommend that also. The exhaust would have been pretty cumbersome without someone to help hold in place while bolting back together.

I have driven about 200 miles since the replacement and the check engine light has not come back on... I think I should be all set... I guess we will see.