Every Billboard #1 of the 80s

Non-car discussion, now for everyone
kevm14

Every Billboard #1 of the 80s

Post by kevm14 »

https://youtu.be/6ApiFgFQ1T8

I like the vast majority of this over current music. That's a fact.
kevm14

Re: Every Billboard #1 of the 80s

Post by kevm14 »

Just to add...the variety of #1 music was unbelievable. I might even suggest music peaked in the 80s? I mean I like 90s music better as a general rule...but I think the percentage of #1 80s music that I liked was a lot higher than the 90s. I guess I am saying pop 80s music is better than pop 90s music though I thought I liked 90s pop...yet I couldn't even finish the 90s video. Apparently Bill made himself, as an act of masochism.

Of course a video that stitches together all the Billboard #1s is a bit misleading because the simple lack of appearance of a song does NOT mean it wasn't popular; just that it apparently never made #1 at any point in the decade.

But a video of all the #1-100 songs in a decade would be...a little long.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

I might even suggest music peaked in the 80s? I mean I like 90s music better as a general rule...but I think the percentage of #1 80s music that I liked was a lot higher than the 90s.
I think I might agree with most of this. I think that there was a lot of stuff that was great in the 90's. Apparently not much if any made it to number 1 though. This list is soooooooooooo terrible. Granted, there are obviously a few good songs in the list, and I guess most people would say that most of them are great. The problem is that they are mostly the same genre, and not one I am super excited about.

But,the 90's had a massive variety. Yes there was plenty of fluff/filler, and 1 hit wonders, but there were still bands that made albums that you could actually listen to all the way through (ok mostly all the way through). There was a lot of nose thumbing to the 90's alternative/grunge/nu metal as a replacement for hard rock and metal of the 80's because of the lack of soloing which obviously meant the bands had no talent because they couldn't find a someone to just play a million notes per second for about 30 seconds in each song. That being said, the 80's had some bands that really could solo. Like really good, multiple section/part solos that really added to the song. The 80's had some real musicians that were forced to be exceptional to compete. It also had a lot of garbage.

I think that in general, between the 80's and 90's, there was more of everything. There was a huge variety, and everything didn't sound the same. Both decades had pop, and both decades had plenty of other stuff.

It seems like the 00's and 10's consists of pop, and 80's and 90's bands still going. There are a small handful of bands that have come out after the early 00's, but not many (I would even say that at least a couple are so good that if this were the 80's or 90's, they would be massive icons). Nothing like the number of 80's and 90's bands. In the 90's there was so much new music, there were almost never 80's songs even being played. Now, it seems like 90% of music on the radio is 90's or 80's, if you can get a radio station to come in long enough to get through the talking and commercials.

I don't really understand what happened. People still seem to love music.

There also seems to be far less concerts, which artists say is where they make all of their money now.
kevm14

Re: M/T: Spin Doctors lead singer likes his Subaru Impreza

Post by kevm14 »

And now I want to listen to some Spin Doctors. Let's see if my Amazon Music app has any free stuff to stream w/ Prime...

EDIT: And they do....sweet.

Side note: Pocket Full of Kryptonite came out in 1991. 91!!! Go listen to that and tell me that is not surprising. I would have put it solidly in the mid-90s.

The Amazon Music app does a good job with lyrics, going line by line karaoke style. Cool.
kevm14

Re: M/T: Spin Doctors lead singer likes his Subaru Impreza

Post by kevm14 »

Wow. This sounds like:
Blues Traveler
Gin Blossoms
Collective Soul

Then there is Counting Crows, and the list goes on. Yeah see this is the 90s music I love. Probably need to move this...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I also hear Del Amitri. And DMB.

I wonder if these sound so similar because I've been listening to country music almost exclusively for so long (a clearly different genre, excepting bands like Hootie and the Blowfish for obvious reasons). Not saying my tastes represent the widest variety, but I bet I would have self-evaluated a wider variety back when I was listening to all that stuff, than looking back and listening as I am now. Takes nothing away from the enjoyment, just making some observations.

Additionally, I'd make the claim that this music has an explictly 90s sound (as opposed to the decade prior, or 70s rock, etc.).
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I can download music for offline playback, too. Well this is a big win. I already pay for this with Prime. Downloading a bunch of their compilation albums. Good thing I have a giant SD card.

Eh, it's having issues downloading those "playlists." Not sure what is going on. But it downloaded regular albums. I'll revisit. I actually like their playlists better. I don't care about albums. I know, I'm the worst.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I set the app for Offline Playback and tried playing one of the playlists that supposedly wouldn't download. Well, it's been working. And not using bandwidth so it appears to be actually downloaded. The app just doesn't reflect the library that I've actually downloaded. I guess this is a bug (on Android??? NO WAY!).

Disclaimer: I know it is the app developer's responsibility to develop bug-free apps. However, it is a true statement I think that app quality on Android is lower than iOS. That just isn't a reason to spend twice as much (or more) for a phone, imo.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I have listened to a lot of music now across a couple playlists. No data has been used yet. App is still in "Offline" mode. So...it's working. Yay?