Need a WMC client on a W10 machine?

Home Theater PC
kevm14

Need a WMC client on a W10 machine?

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p ... vlinkbadge

I am installing now. I am hoping it will play my recorded TV (.WTV files) over the network. Suddenly Jamie would like to watch recorded TV in the bedroom and with W10, my Media Center is obviously gone. So I will try Kodi and report back.
kevm14

Re: Need a WMC client on a W10 machine?

Post by kevm14 »

Well it works. I connected a previously setup network drive to the software and it opened it as a big bunch of files. I can scroll through 463 recordings which is...pretty ugly from a UX standpoint. However, it instantly began playing a show when I clicked on it. So worst case, this is usable. I hope it is able to index and do more than just display flat files because this is like going back 20 years, and why WMC was so brilliant.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Holy shit. Does it ever work! I installed the ServerWMC server on my HTPC and from my Win 10 desktop in our bedroom with 24" monitor I not only have recorded TV (had that with WMC) but I can schedule AND for the first time ever on a PC client I have live TV. This is awesome. And the movie interface also works. The overall interface is pretty awful with a mouse so I think I will try to get a remote but I am excited.

This is so cool that I might even recommend WMC (client/server) and Kodi (as a client with ServerWMC and Kodi plug-in).

There is a fair amount of functionality here and zero monthly charges (OTA TV and ripped DVDs on multiple PCs, which obviously can be connected to a TV with compatible input).
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Keeps getting better. There is even a Kodi remote app for Windows Phone 8.1 (I know) and it works great! It's actually really snappy over wifi. I am really impressed. I went from zero WMC capability on Win 10 to a great WMC client.