MT: 2019 Camaro Turbo 1LE First Drive

Car/truck/automotive news and discussion
Bob

MT: 2019 Camaro Turbo 1LE First Drive

Post by Bob »

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrol ... ve-review/

I think I've heard someone say this before...
The starting price of $30,995 is a performance bargain that could potentially turn the heads of hot-hatch buyers, Chevy's surprising target market. That's correct: The maker of some of the most famous examples of American muscle wants to attract Golf R, WRX STI, Focus RS, and Civic Type R buyers to the lineup. The Camaro is a little short on horsepower but has a lower starting price than the above four-doors. If it had competed in our latest hot-hatch comparison, the claimed 0-60 time would have fallen midpack. Furthermore, some potential hot-hatch buyers might appreciate the Turbo 1LE's non-boy-racer look. Chevy could be onto something. The Camaro's latest track-happy example is a sports car gem: You can comfortably cruise to work in morning traffic and take it to the track afterward to blow off some steam. Let's hope Chevrolet never stops cranking out these fun machines.
bill25

Re: MT: 2019 Camaro Turbo 1LE First Drive

Post by bill25 »

Problem is this will only hold 2 bros, vice 4. So if people still go out together, this is less optimal. Also, the hot hatch wins if the performance is the same, but the hatch offers way more everyday utility.

The argument of "well the hot hatch vs the SS for the same or very little more is a performance no brainer" doesn't hold up anymore. When you get 2 seats and a useless backseat for the same performance of a car that holds 4 and can be used in the winter why would you accept the Camaro sacrifices?
bill25

Re: MT: 2019 Camaro Turbo 1LE First Drive

Post by bill25 »

I wholeheartedly agree with this though:
Let's hope Chevrolet never stops cranking out these fun machines.