CR: 12 Models Lose CR Recommendation Over Car Reliability

Car/truck/automotive news and discussion
kevm14

CR: 12 Models Lose CR Recommendation Over Car Reliability

Post by kevm14 »

I was cued by the Tesla article but this can have its own post. And I still have a CR subscription for some reason. And the reason is because my CC keeps getting billed. While that lasts...
Because of reliability problems reported by car owners to Consumer Reports, 12 models—including the Honda Odyssey minivan and Tesla Model S sedan—lost their recommendations today.

Our list of CR recommended vehicles is determined, in part, by how the vehicles perform in CR’s exclusive Annual Reliability Survey. This year we collected data from CR members on more than 500,000 vehicles.

On the flip side, the predicted reliability of 16 models—from the luxury Cadillac XTS to the Subaru Impreza small car—improved enough this year for these cars to gain a recommendation (see list below).
Other findings from CR’s Annual Reliability Survey include:
- As more vehicles come with turbo engines and new transmission technologies, it’s becoming clearer which automakers are building better versions. (Learn more about turbo engine reliability.)

- Mazda gains the most and Buick drops the most among auto brands. (Learn more about reliability by brand.) 
By the way...from the Tesla article, it said Tesla was #27 out of 29. Guess who is 28 and 29. Cadillac and Volvo, respectively. I guess I will post that separately.
Newly Recommended Models With Improved Reliability
Cadillac XTS, Chevrolet Cruze, Chevrolet Suburban, Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Infiniti QX60, Lincoln Continental, Mazda CX-9, Mazda MX-5 Miata, Mini Cooper, Mini Cooper Countryman, Nissan Armada, Nissan Maxima, Subaru Impreza, Volkswagen Golf, and Volkswagen Tiguan.
Reliability is still a very difficult subject to discuss objectively. Here is my criteria, which is likely different from other people:
- Likelihood of a problem that is difficult to impossible to DIY repair (time/cost/skills/tools/facilities), as a ratio of that likelihood NOT being already built into the purchase price (i.e. resale value). If I am already getting a discount, then I roll the dice (assuming I can actually quantify the risk). This is likely VERY different from CR reliability which is probably more like "number of times I had to go to the dealer" which is almost meaningless, though to some, that is everything when you are talking new cars under warranty.
Attachments
CR 2018 car reliability changes.pdf
(478.1 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
kevm14

Re: CR: 12 Models Lose CR Recommendation Over Car Reliabilit

Post by kevm14 »

Models That Have Lost CR’s Recommendation
In addition to the Model S, these are the other vehicles that have lost their CR recommendation. Included is a description of the issues that owners raised, as well as the response from the manufacturer. Some automakers already have issued technical service bulletins. These bulletins provide dealers with instructions on how to handle a known problem.
If you own one of the vehicles with such a bulletin, contact your dealer. Car companies don’t notify owners about these bulletins, so you need to be proactive about getting the fix done.

BMW X1: The X1 dropped to below-average predicted reliability, with reported suspension problems, premature brake wear, and steering wheel vibrations.

BMW X3: BMW’s redesigned X3 was below average, with climate system problems including leaks, and seat controls that required the seatback to be replaced. A BMW spokesman said the automaker has not seen “any systemic issues related to either vehicle.”

Chrysler Pacifica: The Pacifica fell to below average. Top problems were a frozen or blank display screen, and navigation and radio problems. Transmission problems included the transmission computer. The company told us it had released over-the-air updates that resolved the Uconnect radio problems.

Ford Fusion: The Fusion dropped to below average, mainly because of problems with the Sync 3 infotainment system screen freezing. In response, a spokeswoman for corporate siblings Ford and Lincoln (see the MKZ, below) acknowledged that some customers did experience technical problems with Sync 3 early in the rollout and that Ford and Lincoln had worked to address them.

Genesis G90: The G90 had below-average reliability. Reported problems were transmission gasket leaks, failed throttle body, and warped rotors. A Genesis spokesman said that the automaker had seen very few claims from customers about the throttle body and transmission-leak problems, but it had seen more than 200 claims for problems involving the brake rotors.

Honda Clarity: The Clarity had much-worse-than-average reliability. Member-reported problems were electronic glitches that led to multiple warning lights when there wasn’t a problem, a faulty cabin temperature sensor, and the trunk failing to open. A Honda spokesman said the automaker has not seen the trunk problem in its warranty data. He said that Honda had issued two bulletins to dealers to handle the warning-light problem, and said it is working on guidance for dealers on how to handle the sensor problem.

Honda Odyssey: The Odyssey minivan had much-worse-than-average reliability, with problems including the infotainment display freezing and losing all functionality, and power sliding doors that wouldn’t close. The Honda spokesman said that the automaker released over-the-air software updates. Software updates issued by Honda can be downloaded by the customer using any WiFi connection. As for the door problem, the spokesman said Honda is aware of some instances, and plans to issue a service bulletin with specific dealer repair guidance soon.

Kia Cadenza: The Cadenza sedan came in as much worse than average, with owners reporting faulty thermostat sensors, the automatic climate control failing to work properly, and fixes needed for the engine wiring harness. A Kia spokesman said the company was aware of the problems and noted that in May 2018 the car company issued a service bulletin for Cadenza that introduced an improved thermostat.

Lincoln MKZ: The MKZ sedan had below-average reliability mainly because of problems with the Sync 3 infotainment system screen freezing. (See the Ford and Lincoln response, above.)

Mazda CX-3: This SUV is rated below average because of climate system problems, which included the condenser and refrigerant leaks. A Mazda spokesman said the automaker is aware of consumer complaints on some 2016 and 2017 CX-3 vehicles that may exhibit symptoms of diminished cooling systems. Mazda issued a service bulletin in November 2016 so that dealers can correctly identify and replace components.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class: The E-Class dropped to below average. Members reported problems with in-car electronics and the engine. A Mercedes-Benz spokesman said, “This feedback is not consistent with what we are hearing from our customers.” He added that the automaker has upgraded and improved its voice-control capabilities for the 2019 model year.
At least no GM cars on this list...is that because they were not recommended already? zing.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

And here is brand reliability ranked, along with the change vector, and also the least/most reliable models within each brand.

Couple of observations:
- Lexus is #1. I guess I expect this so that is good.
- Toyota is #2 but the Tacoma is Toyota's least reliable vehicle. I think that is true specifically of the new body style, from what I have heard. That comes at an awkward time of significant competition from GM and now Ford.
- Mazda is #3. This is very good for them, up 9 slots. We'll see if that matters to buyers.
- Kia is all the way up at #5, but that is down 2 slots. Hyundai is #10 (no change). Not sure why Kia is so much higher.
- Audi is the top German brand at #7, and the A3 is the worst.
- The lowest Japanese brand was Honda at #15, way down 6 slots. This was a surprise to me.
- Ford is down at #18, which is down 3 slots, and that is the highest US brand. Mustang is the worst. Taurus is the best. I am a little annoyed I had to type those words.
- Buick is #19 down a crazy 11 slots. Enclave is the worst and Encore (the one everyone was annoyed with me for posting about) is their best.
- Cadillac's worst car is the ATS, and the best is the XTS.
Attachments
Automaker reliability.pdf
(408.42 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Asian Automakers
Lexus: Lexus and Toyota again lead in CR’s predicted reliability ranking—the sixth year in a row. This year all Lexus models with sufficient data were rated average or above. (We did not have sufficient data on the redesigned LS sedan.)
Toyota: The Tacoma continues to have problems with the driver system and in the transmission minor trouble spots. The redesigned 2018 Camry saw a slight drop in reliability—but only to better than average. Members said they had some problems with the Entune infotainment system, and rough shifting from the eight-speed automatic transmission. This shows that even a reliable brand such as Toyota has to work out bugs after a redesign.
Mazda: The automaker worked out problems that plagued the CX-9 SUV and MX-5 Miata roadster. However, the CX-3 SUV is rated below average because of climate system problems.
Subaru: The redesigned Impreza small car had problems last year, but it has rebounded with better-than-average reliability. The redesigned Crosstrek SUV has much-better-than-average first-year reliability. The sporty WRX was the only Subaru with below-average reliability because of transmission problems.
Kia: The Sportage SUV is similar to the Hyundai Tucson, but it has been much more reliable. Likewise, the Niro hybrid is similar to the Hyundai Ioniq but has above-average predicted reliability. The new-for-2018 Stinger hatchback is average, while the Cadenza sedan came in as much worse than average, with owners reporting faulty thermostat sensors, problems with the climate system, and engine cooling.
Infiniti: The Infiniti brand has rebounded, with the Q50 sedan and QX60 SUV improving to average. 
Hyundai: The Tucson SUV’s 1.6-liter turbo four-cylinder engine and seven-speed dual-clutch transmission have been a significant source of trouble. The transmission suffered from rough shifting, computer problems, and slipping. The Ioniq hybrid came in below average, with owners noting rough shifts from the six-speed transmission, and engine problems.
Genesis: The G80 had above-average reliability, and the G90 was below average, with reported problems in the areas of body hardware and power equipment.
Acura: The past few years have seen Acura—Honda’s luxury brand—add new automatic transmissions and infotainment systems, and they caused reliability headaches. These problems have been worked out on most models, although the MDX is still below average in these two areas.
Nissan: The redesigned Leaf electric car and Maxima sedan rated above average. Two models were below average: the Titan pickup and the Versa Note. The Note’s problems included engine issues.
Honda: Honda’s reliability is bogged down by some of its new and redesigned models. The Odyssey minivan had much-worse-than-average reliability, with problems including the infotainment system, and door locking and unlocking. The CR-V SUV and the new Accord dropped to average, with problems including the infotainment system and interior rattles. Honda’s Clarity line of alternative-fuel cars had much-worse-than-average reliability. Reported problems included electronic glitches.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Domestic Automakers
Ford: This brand was the best of all the domestics. The Taurus, the oldest model in Ford’s lineup, had much-better-than-average reliability. But the usually reliable Fusion dropped to below average, mainly because of problems with the Sync 3 infotainment system screen freezing. The Mustang and Explorer were worse than average. Both had some problems with the climate system and body hardware.
Buick: The redesigned Enclave SUV had a much-worse-than-average rating, with owners reporting problems related to the new nine-speed transmission: rough shifts, the transmission computer, and the torque converter. The LaCrosse sedan, and the Encore and Envision SUVs were average.
Lincoln: The lone bright spot for Lincoln was the Continental’s much-better-than-average reliability. The MKC and MKX SUVs remained below average, and the MKZ sedan dropped to below average.
Dodge: Of the FCA brands, Dodge was the best. Reliability of the Charger sedan improved to better than average, and the Grand Caravan minivan was average. The Challenger coupe had problems with the transmission. The Durango and Journey SUVs had multiple problem areas. All three remained below average.
Jeep: This brand had mixed results. The Grand Cherokee and Renegade SUVs improved to average, and the Cherokee and Compass SUVs had below-average reliability. 
Chevrolet: The redesigned Traverse SUV had much-worse-than-average reliability and shared the same transmission problems as the Enclave, along with the infotainment display freezing or staying blank. The redesigned 2018 Equinox SUV came in with average reliability, the Suburban and Tahoe SUVs improved to average or better, and the Bolt electric car remained average.
Chrysler: While the Chrysler 300 sedan’s reliability improved to average, the Pacifica minivan fell to below average. Top issues were a frozen or blank display screen, navigation and radio problems. Transmission problems included the transmission’s computer.
GMC: There are three GMC models with average or better reliability: the Terrain, Yukon, and Yukon XL SUVs. But the GMC Acadia SUV was worse than average, with infotainment and power equipment problems.
Ram: The previous-generation 1500 and the 2500 had average reliability. The 3500 was below average.
Tesla: The Model S sedan has dropped to below average, with suspension problems and other issues that included the extending door handle. The first-year Model 3 sedan had average reliability, while the Model X SUV stayed much worse than average, with problems including the falcon doors and center display screen.
Cadillac: GM's luxury brand remains troubled, with only the XTS sedan coming in with better-than-average reliability. The other models stayed below average, with issues related to rough shifting on the CT6 sedan and Escalade SUV, and in-car electronics on other models.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

European Automakers
Audi: All the Audi models that we have sufficient reliability data for rated average or better, although the scores were not as high as they’ve been in previous years. This includes the 2018 Q5 SUV, and the A5 coupe and convertible. A number of Audi sedans and SUV are being redesigned for 2019.
BMW: The redesigned X3 was below average, with climate system problems, including coolant leaks, and seat controls that required the seatback to be replaced. The X1 dropped to below average, with suspension problems, premature brake wear, and steering-wheel vibrations.
Mini: BMW’s Mini brand saw the Cooper improve to average and the Countryman to above average.
Porsche: The German performance brand sees a wide variation in reliability, with the Cayenne SUV being the least reliable model and the 911 sports car have above-average reliability.
Volkswagen: The new Atlas SUV had much-worse-than-average reliability. The most notable problem area for the Atlas was with the climate system. The Golf and redesigned Tiguan were average, but the GTI was still below average.
Mercedes-Benz: The C-Class coupe and sedan improved to average, but the GLC SUV and the E-Class were below average. Members reported in-car electronics and engine problems on the E-Class.
Volvo: Our members told us that the XC60 SUV suffered from display screen freezes; problems with the climate system and interior cabin rattles. Complaints were still numerous on the XC90 SUV’s infotainment system, mainly screen freezes and blank display. The S90 sedan shared those problems in addition to complaints about engine knocking or pinging. 
Others: We had sufficient data on one Alfa Romeo model, the Giulia sedan, which has much-worse-than-average reliability. Notable problems were the keyless entry and seat controls. The only Jaguar with sufficient data is the F-Pace SUV, which is still much worse than average. Problems were in-car electronics, such as screen freezes or a blank display, and differential fluid leaks.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Car Brand Reliability Rankings
Our brand rankings are based on the average reliability for vehicles in a lineup. Below, we also list the most and least reliable vehicle in each brand lineup. Buick fell 11 spots, the biggest decline, due to worse-than-average reliability for its Enclave SUV. Mazda moved the most, up nine spots, mostly due to reliability gains for the CX-9 and MX-5 Miata. To be included here, a brand must have sufficient data for at least two vehicles. CR lacks data to rank Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Jaguar, Land Rover, Maserati, Mitsubishi, or Smart.
Too bad they couldn't put those brands in, because I think they would ALL rank below Cadillac.

Also, when you think about it some more, the kind of people who read and subscribe to CR, do NOT generally buy ANY of those brands. In that respect, their dataset is biased.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

And here are the top 10 least reliable models. This is interesting because something from every country of origin is on here basically.

Sadly for GM, 4 of the 10 are theirs.
Attachments
top 10 least reliable cars.pdf
(813.92 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

The top 10 reliable are Japanese except for the Kia Sedona, the lone non-Japanese vehicle. But look at the description:
Freshened for 2019, the smooth and refined 276-hp, 3.3-liter V6 engine is now matched to an eight-speed automatic. The Sedona is available in seven- or eight-passenger seating capacities. The roomy cabin is quiet, but the ride is overly stiff and falls far short of the Chrysler Pacifica, Honda Odyssey, and Toyota Sienna. The Sedona is not enjoyable to drive. Its handling is rather ungainly, though ultimately secure. The interior is nicely finished and inviting, with a new front console that provides handy concealed storage. The very comfortable second-row seats neither fold flat nor are removable, cutting into cargo capacity. Available safety features include forward-collision warning, blind-spot warning, and cross-traffic warning systems.
This is why reliability ratings do not and should not trump all else. You can't look at something in a vacuum. I am actually not sure if CR is useful and I've been poking around since August.

For used cars I'd suggest that CR is probably not that helpful. The prices are hugely variable. The conditions and service history are hugely variable. All of these have far, FAR more bearing on the quality of my experience than the CR ranking, imo. And the thing is, as an informed used car buyer, I can more or less control all of those. Being a DIY-type helps a lot, of course. Bringing a used car to a dealer out of warranty gets expensive very quickly.

And for an extreme example, I would not have a better quality experience with, say, a Toyota Corolla (compared to my STS, apples to bananas), because I don't enjoy driving it. At all. So I don't care that it is on the top 10 list for reliability. Other people have different priorities. CR may be good for the average person in that regard.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Time to pick on Subaru. They are pretty highly regarded in New England for obvious reasons. They are also some of the most no-nonsense, more-likely-to-be-affordable-when-optioned vehicles, which people also like. In fact, Subaru is #4 in the brand rankings for reliability. But Subaru has a dark secret. Head gaskets. Yes, they are still a problem. Talked to a buddy here with some Subaru experience and said while failures can range between ridiculously low miles to never, you are much, much more likely to need to replace one or both head gaskets on a Subaru, even a modern one.

Latest anecdote: 2010 Outback, 160k. Both head gaskets were leaking (coolant in oil I believe). Two head gaskets, water pump and belts went for $2,300. Now maybe this car needed zero things until 160k. But that was an expensive repair for what is supposed to be a reliable brand, before 200k. And I think this is not that uncommon. When you consider that this is not a luxury car, does not make a lot of horsepower, nor does it get fantastic fuel mileage, I am not impressed at all.