My neighbor has her own internet

Tech news
kevm14

Re: My neighbor has her own internet

Post by kevm14 »

Service call scheduled. Pulled down a sweet 3.10 Mbps down and 0.87 Mbps up during the chat session.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Are you in the new house now?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

No. Pushed off until March 31. And I'd be shocked if that was enough time to probate a will in two states.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Bob wrote:I am thinking I need to replace my WRT54GL with something else soon. I had to relocate the router from the baby's room, which was the most central place in the house.

Is this overkill? Will it help my range issues compared to the WRT54GL? http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band ... 006QB1RPY/
This is pretty highly rated at Newegg FWIW (the one you linked).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... gnorebbr=1
Bob

Post by Bob »

Yeah, I think I may end up going with that one. Also, Charlotte is now scheduled to get Google Fiber, so it might make sense to get a nice router so that won't become the bottleneck if I decide to dump TWC and go with the Google.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

This thread is OT but Cox came out. Had to run a new cable from the pole to the box on the side of my house, and also replace an old video filter that was in the box. The issue seemed to be water and general oxidation. Signal power came up like 9 dB which is a lot. So, we'll see if the performance stays consistent now.

At first, he said that he couldn't get to the pole. Way too much snow. I resisted the urge to volunteer my snow blowing services but he actually suggested it and I barely contained my glee when I replied in the affirmative. So I used the snow blower to make a path to the pole so he could setup his ladder. Side note, he let the ladder rest on the cable run coming off the pole rather than use the pole itself. Apparently that's totally normal. The guy was cool. He was up there and was checking things out when he goes "oh man this one's all dented up." I said, "yeah? how does that happen?" He said "I dunno. Probably from guys putting ladders up here." lol
WP_001399.jpg
WP_001400.jpg
Fun fact: there is 90V of AC power on the copper parts of the infrastructure, which is stopped at my box before it enters my house. This is used for the various line amplifiers and also now for their phone service. I learned a lot more fun facts but that's one of them.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote:Lesson learned: if I am getting less than 30-31Mbps, it's not the router's fault. Good old WRT54GL.
Well isn't this cool. After a tech support call with Bob for similar sounding symptoms, we ended up upgrading his router to the latest 2010 DD-WRT firmware (from the stock Linksys).

So not wanting to be left out, I did the same.

Would you believe this?

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4231715372

It seems to have solved the 30-31Mbps limit that I was experiencing before.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Thank you again for the tech support call. I rated you a "10" in the survey.

Since the reflash to the latest firmware, none of my Apple devices are staying connected to the wifi (my iPhone 5S, my wife's iPhone 6, iPad mini). It seems like they time out, but then immediately reconnect when I use the device. Weird issue that still needs to be investigated.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yeah there may be a mode/setting that you essentially have to enable (or disable) to fix what appears to be some kind of Apple-compatibility issue...