05 STS trans cooler line leak

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
kevm14

Re: 05 STS trans cooler line leak

Post by kevm14 »

Fast_Ed wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:27 am You may be on to something.. If you get rid of the Roadmaster, the only simple car you will own is the free dodge.

I know the answer though .. Cars with 4 speed transmissions and less than 300hp are basically unusable on today's roads.
In all seriousness, why would I lock my car preferences in from 20 years ago? Or even 10 years ago? This is why I pay attention to new cars - because they ALL eventually depreciate and eventually I can afford them. It is perfectly valid to scoff at an E55 in 2003 and say "too expensive, don't care." (or a CTS-V in 2004 for that matter, which I have affordably owned for 10 years). It's not valid to claim that nothing has changed in 17 years. The last 15-20 years has brought us a performance car bounty that we never dreamt of and many of these are now affordable. I dunno, it seems quite logical to me. If none of that stuff moves your needle I don't know what to tell you. And from a financially justifiable perspective, if I'm able to do this for less than the average family spends on incredibly boring (but later model) transportation, then that's a double win.
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

Not arguing that you shouldn't have modern cars. They're great, I'm sure. Just saying that if all your cars are modern, they will all have modern car problems.

And when you go from car to car, they will all be kinda comparable to an extent. Getting into a 24 year old Roadmaster is a completely different experience to switching between a modern caddy and modern Merc.

Your money and time, so really your call. And you know our car goals are different. I just hate to see the b body get replaced by something 'because it can't compete with modern cars.' I bought my Roadmaster because I was sick of my euro car issues.

Anyways, I'm psyched to see the new Merc, I always loved AMG cars back in the day.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Maybe I need to learn my own lessons. Only one real way to do that...the hard way.

And I am sensitive to the simple car thing. So I get that. And getting rid of the Roadmaster just doubles the wound of my Caprice. It also means it won't even live on.

I AM saying the E55 is a credible modern replacement for what I always wanted out of my B-bodies but never had, and have no realistic path to having. That's the bridge. And I'm willing to absorb some risk in return. In my opinion European cars weren't "worth it" before but the variables have changed. To be clear most of them still aren't worth it...this is almost an abberation (the exception).

Just for perspective about how much time has passed, the time gap between the E55 and LT1 B-bodies is smaller than the gap between the E55 and today. Granted there is a large complexity gap but just from a time perspective, the E55 is closer in age to a B-body than it is to a brand new car...
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

Well I was a lot less mature when I got my euro car, and basically knew nothing about it until i got sick of paying dealerships I didn't trust to fix it. I wouldn't wish that experience on you, but I don't think that's what's going to happen anyways. You enjoy those challenges. And I'm at the point where I have turned almost every bolt on my Saab myself at least once, so at least I know where they are..

Bottom line, if we're voting, my vote is keep the Roadmaster and sell the sts. The Roadmaster is the last of an era. But if the Roadmaster is just going to waste, I guess I get selling it to someone who will use it more. Too bad it's not a wagon, or I would be seriously interested.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I think I'm going to have to pull the front bumper to have the proper access to the condenser bolts. I will see if I can reach from the bottom...

According to the FSM, it looks like it's done through the bottom. Would be way easier on a lift. All I need to do is remove all 4 bolts and slide it toward the driver's side to get access to the passenger side trans cooler mounting bolts. I guess I could loosen the driver's side ones first because I think I can get to them.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Time for a quick jack.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Here is the new cooler. The size of the box is hilarious and it was actually packaged in an even larger box for shipping.
20200613_181342.jpg
20200613_181347.jpg
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Complete disaster. Worked on this all day. Mostly it was just access to bolts and loosening stuff to get better access, and then playing games to avoid snapping the small bolts. I only snapped one and it is part of a bracket that holds the fans to the condenser (or the condenser bracket that is used to attach to the radiator) that I didn't even need to remove. It has another bolt so...meh.

Progress completely stopped when it came time to simply snap the new trans lines to the transmission cooler lines that go to the transmission. Adam was here and he couldn't get it, either. The snap ring inside doesn't seem able to expand enough to slip over the first line barb. I guess I screwed myself again getting TYC (Chinese I assume) instead of OEM.

I managed to pry a piece of the snap ring out thinking that would surely create clearance but NOPE. Slipped on just a little farther but not all the way and it is now STUCK. Awesome. I'm so pissed. This was supposed to be the easiest part of the job. Now I have to figure out a way to at least separate the lines again and figure out another plan. Maybe undo all of my work, take it out, return it and try for an AC Delco? This is insane.
20200614_133920.jpg
20200614_133931.jpg
20200614_133935.jpg
20200614_133941.jpg
20200614_133947.jpg
20200614_133951.jpg
20200614_134001.jpg
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I'm fixing to just cut off the end of the hose and clamp onto the line. My tin snips should work if I can wedge them in. May have to take multiple nips to get it...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VSF93NW/re ... 5Eb9MBDEB8

Adam recommended this style. Continuous clamping around the circumference and doesn't pinch the hose. If there is enough hose I will push on far enough to use two clamps, before and after the second barb.

If the hose is too short or too large I'll have to figure out some kind of adapter. I'm not fooling around with this nonsense any more.

Cutting off the one that's jammed may be tricky. Cutting the hoses may also be tricky but I'll see what I can do.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:19 am I'm fixing to just cut off the end of the hose and clamp onto the line. My tin snips should work if I can wedge them in. May have to take multiple nips to get it...
So I grabbed my tin snips and cut off the old line just to see what it would be like. It was pretty easy. Took like 3 nips and it made a clean cut. I see no funny business. The hose size looks exactly right.
20200616_183700.jpg
20200616_183705.jpg
20200616_183712.jpg
Know what I think? I think the two hoses are going to slip right onto the cooler line, I'll clamp it, and that will be it. I should have stopped and pursued this originally - Adam did mention it but I did not expect it to be IMPOSSIBLE (literally) to click the ends together.

The hardest part is going to be getting the jammed new fitting off the line. That might be the last ordeal - I will have to figure out how to cut it off most likely. Worst case I just slice through the end of the line at the quick connect fitting and hope I still have enough hose left.

I don't want to declare victory yet but I am feeling optimistic about this. That's a nice change of pace!