Fleetwood repairs

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
Adam

Fleetwood repairs

Post by Adam »

If only this forum had existed back when I bought this car.

I ordered a rear main seal, oil pan gasket, and motor mounts. I plan to pull the engine to do this job to also do the intake manifold gasket (currently in the parts funnel) and clean up most of the oil leakage and grime on the block and engine bay. The leakage is actually not that bad. I have lost about 1/2 of a quart in about 1K miles. Unfortunately, all that oil goes straight onto the exhaust, which makes lots of burning oil smells after ~20 minutes of driving.

I estimate a long day for this repair. Maybe a day and a half. Might want to do the EGR valve while it is out. Or at least clean it. Maybe I will finally be able to flush all of the rust out of the cooling system too.
Fast_Ed

Re: Fleetwood repairs

Post by Fast_Ed »

Subscribed.

Where else will I see an LT1 dangling from a chain?
kevm14

Re: Fleetwood repairs

Post by kevm14 »

The EGR valve is very easy even with the engine installed. If you happen to have a new valve, you can replace it. Though, you will have ample opportunity to inspect the passages, which can get clogged. There is a tube that runs from the passenger side manifold to the EGR mounting boss on the intake. Then the EGR flow goes into the intake. The intake passages can get pretty dirty, though I never had an EGR clogging problem on my LT1s.

I'd estimate more time for the job, unless you like rushing.