99 Ram: intermittent loss of power

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
kevm14

Re: 99 Ram: intermittent loss of power

Post by kevm14 »

Drove 2 hours yesterday, most of which was highway. Light did not come on. It is frustrating that the truck has literally zero catalyst functionality and it won't even set a damn code, while my STS is throwing the P0430 intermittently (with dual intact cats). I guess the STS is too smart and fancy while the truck is dumb and simple. Sometimes dumb and simple has its place. And the trade-off makes sense for the intended usage of both vehicles.

By the way the truck has been starting and running well. I mean, for what it is. The engine, transmission and axle ratio hardly seem in tune with each other. I've said it before but it is amazing how much better the Roadmaster drives and performs considering they are from about the same era and really don't have vastly different weight, power and torque specs. That's on paper, though.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Saturday: Drove 1 hour to CT. Drove 1 hour back later that day.
Sunday: Drove 1.5 hours to CT. 20 minutes into the return trip, the check engine light finally came on.

Checked at home, P0420 as predicted. Reset...

Probably one of the least sensitive cat efficiency detection routines I've ever heard of. Conveniently, this suits me just fine. Oddly also, in warmer weather, the truck actually seems to have a little more power. It has pulled some hills in 4th lockup, both down around 1200 rpm at like 45 mph and even at 70 mph @ 2000 rpm. It doesn't have reserve for a trailer but it seems adequate otherwise. I mean at points during the weekend I was cruising at 85 mph and it was really not a big deal.

Also, I think I'm looking at 17+ mpg for highway, from 70-75 mph, some hills, hauling probably 300 lbs of stuff. The Ranger would have gotten, what, 20? It does WAAY better in city but highway not as much.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

P0420 less than an hour into a drive to CT. Reset after I got home.