Mazda3 Motor Mounts

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
bill25

Re: Mazda3 Motor Mounts

Post by bill25 »

It is pretty loud and still has the vibration. I had it on ramps and upon quick look, I didn't see anything that looked bad, but there were some places with poor visibility.

I agree that there is a chance the engine moved a little and may not be exactly where it originally was. I think there was some movement with the jack for the top mount, and this problem has been there ever since... Problem is, I tightened the bolts per the Hanes manual, which just said "a lot" so, they are... pretty tight. I am not totally sure there isn't some exhaust noise that is adding to it. I did look at the harmonic balancer and did not notice anything, but I am far from an expert.

I may look into this more when it warms up. I actually brought it to a shop, and they just said it sounds like a Mazda with 165000 miles on it. I was not impressed, but at least they didn't make something up that I would have to pay for.
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

It might even help to relieve any binding if you can just loosen the top motor mount with the car level and then retighten to "spec". I tried this on the Saturn before just dealing with it.. didn't help a whole lot. I couldn't expect too much with a 250k econobox and an i4 that probably had no balance shafts.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

That's a good idea. I need to get a better look at if the exhaust or something is touching something too.
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

I have ramps. Makes taking a quick peak super easy. Let me known if you want to borrow them.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Hey, thanks for the offer. I have ramps, it's just been cold... When I had it up to do the last oil change I tried to look quick but it was freezing so I didn't get a good look. Hopefully I'll have a chance to look again when it is warmer.