According to this guy, removal of the driver's side manifold/cat assembly was required:
https://www.cadillacforums.com/threads/ ... wd.800849/
I believe that is the cat that is giving me the P0430.
Finally got around to replacing the engine mounts. I wasn't able to find much info on replacement of mounts for an AWD, Few threads on what I suspect are for RWD. So here is a few things I ran across for anyone needing info on how to replace mounts in their AWD.
I was able to do this in my driveway on jack stands. A lift would have help. I was hoping to get both sides done without removing the exhaust manifolds. However, the driver side manifold and steering shaft had to come out. The manifold heat shield was almost impossible to get out. So there was collateral damage. Once manifold came out I just lowered the car down on a jack stand placed under there oil pan and out the mount came. (also loosen the fan shroud) The Revshift mounts basically drop right in with no issue. (no way I'm putting the OEM mounts back in to go bad and do this all over again) I also had to drill out the old bolts from the cat. I'm sure a good torch would have saved me time and a few bits. I only had a propane deal that didn't seem to get hot enough.
The passenger side I was able to leave the manifold in however the axle needed to come out to allow the car to drop down so the mount could clear the top bracket. Clearance was still tight and had to basically yank the mount out with a rope hooked around the top stud.
The whole process is time consuming due to the lack of space. Not sure of the total time spent working on it as I had to stop several times to do other stuff and a day of rain. I'm guessing 10-12hrs total. I'm sure 2-3hrs was just me thinking about how to go about it without making more work for myself.
My local shop quoted me $1700.00 of labor to install the Revshift mounts. The mounts cost me 140.00 plus 40.00 in extra parts. (nuts, bolts and flange gasket.) So for me it was worth the effort as I had all the necessary tools to do the job. It's border line just paying the money but I actually like turning wrenches. As you can see this was straight shady tree. The goal was to fix it without breaking anything so my methods may not be ideal. If anyone was contemplating do this repair on a AWD I hope this provides some sort of idea what may be involved.
Next, valve cover gaskets.
I didn't see removal of steering rack. It sounds terrible but if I really do end up needing to remove driver's side cat/manifold, why wouldn't I just replace the damn thing?Actually removing a manifold isn't hard on the avg. car. However, on this STS the working area is very tight on the driver side. I was able to get the first 4 bolts from the top and then the last 4 bolts towards the back of the motor from the bottom with long extension and swivel. You'll spend alot of the time working blindly. Feeling for the bolts etc. (skinny fingers and hands are a plus) Another issue with my removal of the manifold was that I backed out both studs which made getting the manifold out a easy. However, you need these studs in place to hold the gasket in place while putting the manifold back in. I screwed them both back in and hung the gasket, but wasn't able to get the manifold back in due to the front stud catching the inside of the manifold. took that stud out which made the gasket drop but at least I had the rear stud to hold the back end up. Once I hand the manifold back in place you just need to from the top of the car fish the gasket back into place and place the first bolt in to line everything up. Basically torque all the bolts back up. I could have use my air ratchet but didn't want to round any of the heads so a normal ratchet I used.
I think it is a good plan to have the Roadmaster back on the road and drive that and/or the V for a while until this job is done. Realistically it may be in the garage for two weekends, unless I take a little time off work. Which I may want to do anyway due to lull in holidays between Feb and end of May.