08 SRX thermostat replacement

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
kevm14

08 SRX thermostat replacement

Post by kevm14 »

It's the same job as on my STS. It was easy except for A) making a mess all over the garage floor and B) when I dropped my 10mm deep socket and it landed on the plastic underbody cover. I then had to back the car out so I didn't have to lay in the puddle of coolant, and partially pull down the cover until the socket fell out. Annoying.

The old thermostat did have a visual issue. I will get a picture later as it is hard to describe.

Took over a gallon just like my STS. I rinsed out the bottom cover from the top to get all the coolant out because anything that drips later will make me think I have a leak. I will need to monitor the level because past experience suggests it will take an addition or two before it is fully stable at the proper level.
kevm14

Re: 08 SRX thermostat replacement

Post by kevm14 »

Added just a little bit just now. I'll have to check after a week of driving.

Here is what happened to the old thermostat. It looks like some kind of piece that is supposed to block coolant flow but it's busted through. This would probably confirm my guess that it was not letting the car properly warm up. That loose metal jiggly piece is normal and part of the design. I think it lets air through or something. I installed it so that piece is at 12 o'clock (straight up).

I'll assume this is the original thermostat but I don't know for sure (137k on car).
20200308_111231.jpg
20200308_111246.jpg
20200308_111307.jpg
20200308_111321.jpg
20200308_111304.jpg
Definitely one of the easier thermostats I've done, which is always a delight on these cars. It might actually be the easiest?? Crazy right?

I mean if I think about B-bodies, my Caprice thermostat was really easy, however one time I broke a bolt off in the intake manifold and that necessitated all kinds of histrionics including a junkyard intake and having to reseal the back of the intake due to oil leaks numerous times. Other than that, easy design. If you use the right Fel-pro gasket (reusable design), it's like a 5 minute job.

LT1 B-bodies aren't bad but do require bleeding due to the reverse flow.

Jamie's Malibu was very tight and I think like under the throttle body. Not the best.

I guess the Ranger was easy but I don't remember now.