05 STS trans cooler line leak

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
kevm14

05 STS trans cooler line leak

Post by kevm14 »

It's as if the car knows....

I think the car's been losing trans fluid for a while so I hope I haven't hurt it. This weekend when I went to look at the E55, I got actual smoke out from under it after shutting it off. I figured it was oil burning on the exhaust. I think it was trans fluid.

The shifting is not right. It shifts late and I think the line pressure controller is trying to compensate so it feels weird. Nothing is slipping but it doesn't feel right.

One look under the car and yeah, something has been leaking for a while. There is a (protective) coating on like half the undercarriage.

I couldn't find the smoking gun (i.e. catch it in the act) but I guess it is these crusty looking trans cooler lines.
20200603_141505.jpg
20200603_141514.jpg
20200603_144005.jpg
20200603_144010.jpg
Access to the cooler is horrible and requires repositioning of the A/C condenser, because it's sandwiched in between the radiator and A/C condenser. However, there are quick disconnect fittings accessible through the left wheel well area. Even better, there are replacement coolers that have the lines preinstalled. So I'd just need to disconnect 2 fittings, and the 4 bolts for the cooler. Then it might just drop out. Hardest part might be rusty mounting bolts. And I'd have to double check access from below without pulling the front bumper (or condenser).

Here is the rendering from the FSM:
05 STS trans cooler rendering.PNG
AC Delco cooler (heavy duty cooling) is like $238 which is a little steep. But there is a TYC 19057 for $133.79. Probably made from the finest Chinesium.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 47&jsn=447

Of course Rockauto's picture makes it look like no lines but eBay shows otherwise:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TYC-19057-Ext- ... #vi-ilComp
05 STS trans cooler V03.jpg

So I guess that's the plan.

Now my SUPER cheap option is to remove the factory one and just cut out the bad section and slap in some hose with hose clamps. I can tighten them off the car. Then just reinstall.

This is making me wonder if I am selling the wrong car and I should just get rid of the STS. But I like driving it. And I don't even own the E55 yet!

Eh, I think the right thing is to order the new cooler...and I guess I need a quick disconnect tool.
kevm14

Re: 05 STS trans cooler line leak

Post by kevm14 »

Here is the Kent Moore quick disconnect tool:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kent-Moore-J-4 ... 2059637733
Kent Moore J 44827 back.jpg
Kent Moore J 44827 front.jpg
However I do have this:
61nrAU-WCzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I think it does the same thing. The only issue I could see is clearance. The round tool might squeeze in and align better in tight spaces....otherwise maybe I can just use my tool.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Ordered the Kent Moore tool. $11.36 shipped. I guess it's a good de-risker....

And I ordered the TYC cooler from Rockauto. And 4 quarts of AC Delco full synthetic Dexron VI. And another tube of the Lubegard shudder fix additive while I'm there...

$187.05 shipped for that.

So call this a $200 fix I guess. I may have been able to do something half-assed for zero dollars but whatever.

Rust is such a pain in my ass. Good thing this E55 lead a southern and then snow-free life....

I am, however, driving the Roadmaster (or CTS-V) until this is fixed.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:25 pm Access to the cooler is horrible and requires repositioning of the A/C condenser, because it's sandwiched in between the radiator and A/C condenser. However, there are quick disconnect fittings accessible through the left wheel well area. Even better, there are replacement coolers that have the lines preinstalled. So I'd just need to disconnect 2 fittings, and the 4 bolts for the cooler. Then it might just drop out. Hardest part might be rusty mounting bolts. And I'd have to double check access from below without pulling the front bumper (or condenser).
Figures. I think I could get to the two trans cooler bolts on the driver's side. But on the passenger side there is no way. The condenser is completely in the way. So that will have to be repositioned. I can't tell if it is repositioned up or down or if I'll just carefully shove it where I need to in order to access all 4 of the bolts. Yeah that sounds right...

But given the extra labor, probably wouldn't have been worth half-assing this because if it leaked I'd have to do the labor again essentially. This will be all brand new, and will replace all parts of the line that are rusty. And I won't have to fight trying to remove them from the cooler.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Imagine if that car was German....

I'm other news, I replaced the broken trans cooler and leaky lines with used parts on the Fleetwood in just a few minutes.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I think many things are easier in the E55.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Oh, snap! Don't let your STS hear you saying things like that...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

A lot of the engine packaging looks easier to work on.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Adam wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:05 pm I'm other news, I replaced the broken trans cooler and leaky lines with used parts on the Fleetwood in just a few minutes.
That car has a ridiculous amount of room in the front end. And at the same time there is more packed into the STS front end. Starting from the engine the stack-up is:
1) Mechanical cooling fan
2) Radiator
3) Trans cooler
4) A/C condenser
5) Dual electric pusher fans
6) (not part of the stack technically but in front of everything) Power steering cooler, and this is a real heat exchanger, not some line

I guess that explains the high under hood temps. I mean that's where the heat is going from all those heat exchangers. The E55 engine bay is likely just as hot or hotter due to the supercharger and its intercooler...
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

You may be on to something.. If you get rid of the Roadmaster, the only simple car you will own is the free dodge.

I know the answer though .. Cars with 4 speed transmissions and less than 300hp are basically unusable on today's roads.