Tarping the shed roof

Sheds, garages...tree houses?
kevm14

Tarping the shed roof

Post by kevm14 »

This shed roof was failing when I moved in, back in 2007. In fact, here it is then.
S7302044.JPG
So season after season, water would rain through the roof and drench everything in there. Pretty shameful I didn't do anything about it. The el-cheapo solution? A tarp. I bought an inexpensive tarp from Ace which was, I think, 12x16. I think I needed 8x15, so I just folded the unused material under itself, and nailed it to the roof with standard roofing nails and an old fashioned hammer. I think it actually came out well, and should keep things drier inside.
S7302798.JPG
S7302799.JPG
S7302800.JPG
S7302801.JPG
At least the hole is covered!
S7302802.JPG
S7302803.JPG
By the way, I did this all by myself, with a ladder. Considering I couldn't walk on the roof (for obvious reasons), it was quite awkward to get the tarp all spread out and lined up. But I got it done.

My father in law helped me clean out this shed a few months ago, as it was still full of crap from when I bought it. Again, shameful. It had a bit of a bee problem. Here's one of those buggers.
S7302804.JPG
Last shot inside:
S7302805.JPG
My intention is for this to hold up in a rental situation, so I can keep the lawn mower and a few maintenance things in there. I will have to deal with the doors because they're literally falling off. I've also never locked my shed, and it's never been an issue. But there's nothing good inside anyway. My two lawn mowers, for example, I obtained back in 2007. One came with the house (and had a carb bowl issue), and the other was a freebie from a next door neighbor who moved out shortly after I moved in.
Bob

Re: Tarping the shed roof

Post by Bob »

I think the HOA in my old neighborhood would have had something to say about this.
kevm14

Re: Tarping the shed roof

Post by kevm14 »

They would have had something to say about the shed before I even bought the house. It's on borrowed time at this point. I should have tarped it the day after I moved in 7 years ago.