Roof leak

Roofs, chimneys, siding
kevm14

Roof leak

Post by kevm14 »

Specifically, I think it is the vent stack which is directly above where I have a small hole in my upstairs bathroom ceiling, and where water dripped out during a particularly bad storm.

Here is the hole.
WP_20150828_16_28_31_Pro.jpg
WP_20150828_16_28_41_Pro.jpg
Here are some telephoto shots of the suspected offending vent stack:
DSC_6503.JPG
DSC_6508.JPG
And the lower one which has the same "fix" applied to it, but is not currently known to leak:
DSC_6505.JPG
I got a quote from a guy who has done work for Bill and he wanted to rip the singles down to the sheathing and "do it right" for about $300. But the more we talked about it, the more he seemed to be suggesting that $300 was a minimum price, unaffected by my offering to throw away scrap (which he originally cited as one of his costs) as well as offer some leftover shingles for my roof (which he also said wouldn't lower the price). This roof is on its second layer, and this second layer is a 20 year Certainteed, on year 20. No reason to go overkill on the vent stack sealing at this point since it will need to be redone when I do a roof. That may happen within the next 5 years.

This product seems extremely promising:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Perma-Boot-P ... /202581368

I need to measure but I am guessing the upper vent is a 2" and the lower one is a 3". That is cheap and reviews seem positive.

If I want to go nuts, I could double seal it and put something over the old gasket before putting the Perma-Boot on. But I may just slap a Perma-Boot over what is up there. Probably should do both.

The trouble is, this rear roof section is extremely steep. I measured it at a 9/12. You cannot walk on it. Support is required. So once I figure out how to safely get up there and work, I will do this.
Adam

Re: Roof leak

Post by Adam »

The lower one looks like it has a more recent silicone repair while the upper one looks like it only has older (dried out and cracking) plumber's dope on it
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I thought maybe roofing tar.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I believe this is what I need:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Qualcraft-La ... /202092113

Specifically two of them and a small/cheap aluminum ladder. Hooks over the top of the roof and acts like a scaffold. I probably could pay a handyman by the time I buy this stuff but it might not be bad to have something like this available.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Forgot to confirm this before. From the Home Depot website on Perma-Boot:
Patented design allows for use on roofs pitched from 3/12 to 12/12
12/12! That's a 45° pitch!

Also, I think it might even make sense to slip this over a brand new vent, because it would keep the rubber gasket on the flange from failing from UV exposure. That would probably actually last the life of the roof, unlike using just the flashing with gasket.

Not for nothing, but it even looks better than a naked vent pipe with flashing sticking out.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Ended up buying a 16 foot extension ladder (the cheapest they had) which was pretty flimsy and only 200 lb rated. However, the hope was to extend it on the roof so I could access both vent pipes. I also bought the only ladder hooks that Home Depot sells, the 2" and 3" Perma-Boots (the only ones they stock) and for sealant, Henry 900 Construction and Flashing Sealant.

This whole thing was like $215 with tax which is more than I had hoped to spend. But I'd also be fixing both vents.

So with a 16' ladder, that's only 8' per section, which got halfway down to the second vent and no further.

Upon examining the ladder, it became evident that I couldn't use the extension ladder the way it was designed (as a 16 footer) since the upper part is intended to latch onto the lower section rungs. But on sloped roof, I'd be actually pulling the ladder apart, so I would have just taken a nice sledding trip off the roof.

We flipped one section around which gave me another 2 rungs of reach but this was still not very much. I probably needed like a 14 foot ladder, in a single piece, which I can't buy unless I buy a 28' extension ladder and take it apart.

Here it is on the roof with the extra 2 rungs of reach. Do keep in mind that this ladder was like 18 lbs and that is extremely light. Ideal for having to haul up onto a roof. Working on it while sitting was actually just fine. I had no issues at all.
WP_20150905_15_25_55_Pro.jpg
WP_20150905_15_32_42_Pro.jpg
WP_20150905_15_32_53_Pro.jpg
In these shots the upper vent is already done. It turns out that the 2" vent was the perfect size for the smaller vent. The installation was pretty easy. I did try to fill the parts of the previous seal job that I think were leaking (which itself may have fixed the issue).

For the lower vent, I had to somewhat precariously lower myself to the last rung and sort of brace myself on the roof with my feet. Good thing Adam was there to hold the ladder on the roof ridge. It turned out that while the upper vent was the right height, the lower vent was too long. So after a good amount of deliberation on our lunch break, I decided to take a shot with my reciprocating saw. I was worried that the saw might vibrate the pipe and either damage it or otherwise damage the tar stuff that was there (and not known to leak, yet). In the end it took like 15 seconds and the saw cut right through even if I was working at the end of a ladder hanging from the roof ridge.

Here it is with the lower one complete.
WP_20150905_15_47_34_Pro.jpg
WP_20150905_15_47_45_Pro.jpg
WP_20150905_16_04_37_Pro.jpg
Overall the installation was pretty simple and the concept is really smart. Water CAN go under the big boot but since it would be a pretty controlled trickle it would just flow past the vent. And any water that somehow makes it up hill on top of the old gasket (and the tar stuff) will hopefully be stopped by the new sealant I added.

Time will tell but I think I am now good until I replace the roof. I will report back after the next hard rain. I already have a contingency plan if it still leaks. I can caulk in the front of the boot to keep water from running under the boot.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Somehow I missed the vent pipe in the great room (for the wet bar). That one will be significantly easier to work on. I'd only need a buddy to wrangle the ladder. I should just do that one preemptively as well, assuming it is a 2". Shouldn't wait for wet marks on the ceiling...

Or at a minimum I could inspect the gasket/flashing.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Forgot to mention that I did the great room stack months ago with no issues.

And the other two that I repaired with Adam are still holding up. That funny leak has not come back.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is, my vent stack repairs continue to not leak as far as I can tell.

The bad news is, I appear to have developed a new leak in the great room.

What I think is happening is, snow is melting, getting under the shingles somewhere (at the flashing where the roof meets the side of the house possibly) and water is running down the drywall and leaking from one of the big beams onto the floor. I can see 3 wet streaks as I sit here.

I don't know if I should even attempt to have this repaired or just bit the bullet and get going on a whole new roof. This sucks. If I can keep it to $10k or less that'd be swell. The question becomes...do I bother with solar? I guess I'd have to look at financing options which I don't feel like doing at all.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I have cautiously optimistic news.

It's been raining pretty good for a couple hours now. I see zero signs of water. It's a little too early to call but maybe it was actually my first ice dam, and likely caused by wood stove use during extremely cold temps (which didn't surface as leaks until it warmed up a little), if I had to guess.

We'll see how it does later this evening and overnight.