New medicine cabinet for downstairs bath

For making food and making...
kevm14

Re: New medicine cabinet for downstairs bath

Post by kevm14 »

The vanity.

By 11am, we had the vanity on the floor. Then we put the top on it. It felt good to have something to look at after spending so long on the toilet stuff which you can't even see. Of course nothing was actually installed but still.
WP_20160228_11_01_39_Pro.jpg
This also allowed us to notice the first problem for this job. The back splash, when properly placed on top of the vanity top, obstructed the outlet! Arrgh. So the adjusted plan was to pull the vanity out from the wall a tiny bit and slip the back splash in behind it. We then were able to trim the bottom of the outlet cover and that plan worked. One down and plenty of dry fitting yet to do.
WP_20160228_11_01_58_Pro.jpg
Once that was settled, we decided to install the new faucet. Easiest way to do that is to remove the top, and install everything that way. More access and general convenience. With the new faucet and drain tail piece installed, we decided if the placement of the vanity box and top was acceptable, with regard to gaps along the edges of the top, and the sides of the vanity box.

Once that was settled, we pursued fastening the vanity box. With it away from the wall, there was quite a gap so I made up some plywood. Finding the studs to screw them in was also a bit of a hassle but eventually we did, and attached them. Then I shoved some cedar shims to fill the rest of the gap, and screwed the back in, in several places.
WP_20160229_08_43_53_Pro.jpg
WP_20160229_08_43_57_Pro.jpg
WP_20160229_08_44_03_Pro.jpg
With that done, we turned our attention to the drain. Here you can see the top installed and placed correctly. Water comes out of that gray tail piece and is supposed to go into the black P-trap. Sigh.
WP_20160228_14_59_46_Pro.jpg
Thanks to an incredibly helpful department supervisor at Home Depot, we came home with this flexible coupler, 1-1/4". Stretched to the max, and pulling somewhat on the P-trap, it fits. Even if the top isn't flat. It seems to be leak-free so far but I will keep my eye on it for a while. If this doesn't work, I will have to install a new P-trap which means cutting it off at the wall and building back out.
WP_20160229_16_25_41_Pro.jpg
With the drain solved, and all final faucet things sorted (like the popup drain handle adjustment), we decided it was a good time to actually seal the top down. The material of choice for that was clear GE Silicone II. It should keep everything attached, but if I wanted to pull the top someday, the silicone will release, unlike some kind of construction adhesive.
WP_20160229_10_43_23_Pro.jpg
WP_20160229_10_51_37_Pro.jpg
WP_20160229_10_51_49_Pro.jpg
I basically siliconed along the plywood vanity box, and also against the wall where the back splash would go. Then I added caulk along the seam between the backsplash and top, and along the top of the backsplash. Anywhere you wouldn't want water to drip behind, where water would be present, basically.

Now that this was like 99% done, I felt it would be prudent to focus on a smaller detail.

Take a look at the gap on the right side of the vanity top where it meets the wall (scroll back up). It is flush with the wall in the front, but that grows to a gap at the back. Blame unsquare walls. Check out this elegant solution we came up with. This is a PVC product. I went into Home Depot looking for quarter round but this looked a little nicer. Made some straight and miter cuts, and attached with clear Silicone II again. I am very happy with this and it was a fun little detail to add. Hides the gap perfectly.
WP_20160229_13_46_12_Pro.jpg
WP_20160229_13_46_28_Pro.jpg
Bob

Post by Bob »

This looks very good and made a huge difference in the appearance of the room! I think this was money well spent in terms of resale. I am in favor of upgrading on your own rather than paying more for a pre-upgraded home for the simple reason that you can pick the materials yourself and use better quality stuff. After viewing countless homes in my last house search, I determined that most of the houses that we upgraded with the intention of generating more revenue at the sale were done so cheaply. In the end, we ended up buying a house at the lower end of our budget that had an older but serviceable kitchen and baths. Still haven't done anything with any of them other than the island from overstock and a new fridge, but it's nice to know the house will be paid for that much sooner.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Bob wrote:paying more for a pre-upgraded home for the simple reason that you can pick the materials yourself and use better quality stuff.
Yes. For flips, it's why there is a legitimate thing called "builder's grade." And it isn't a good thing.

Left on the agenda for the room:
- Select and install hardware for the vanity. Should add even more visual appeal
- Scrub the old tile and get it sparkling. The tile guys assured me it will look like new.
- Adjust the ceiling light fixture. I am being picky here but I want the bulbs oriented along the length of the bathroom, to provide a little more light for the dark linen closet at the entrance.
- Seal the granite top

A little bit later:
- Replace TP holder, towel rack and robe hook with matching Moen Darcy nickel finish items. Add a small towel ring on the wall next to the vanity. The TP holder and towel rack will require some degree of tile patching which is why I may wait a bit before starting something again after coming so far down this road.
- Consider replacing the shower door with something that looks more modern, even if I have no immediate plans to redo the shower.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Hardware installed. No one will be surprised how sweaty I got doing this. Hint: Very.
WP_20160301_18_21_32_Pro.jpg
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote:A little bit later:
- Replace TP holder, towel rack and robe hook with matching Moen Darcy nickel finish items. Add a small towel ring on the wall next to the vanity. The TP holder and towel rack will require some degree of tile patching which is why I may wait a bit before starting something again after coming so far down this road.
I just did some of this. Home Depot started stocking the full line of Moen Darcy so I was able to pick up the robe hook (back of door), hand towel ring, 24" towel rack and TP holder today. I installed the two easy ones because no tile work was required.
WP_20170102_14_19_18_Pro.jpg
WP_20170102_14_18_54_Pro.jpg