Major kitchen remodel

For making food and making...
kevm14

Re: Major kitchen remodel

Post by kevm14 »

Day 22:
Tile guy (Ed) is here to do the backsplash. Or whatever he can accomplish in about half a day of work. I think this was supposed to be a day off.

I do want to also correct something from before. They have more than the plumbers and electricians. Ed works for them. Apparently so do some carpenters. So they do have a lot of in-house trades but apparently supplement with subcontractors due to the volume of work they've been experiencing.

Mike just arrived to finish the outside work on the window over the sink.

And Rafael the granite guy was here measuring for the riser and sill for the sink window. Wow, productive.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!An5lt1BKvFKdqNgklBmfZ9ErkYG_GA

The faux marble pattern goes left to right on all of them, which is interesting. Some were pretty much plain white and he'll use those as filler for the under cabinet run. The tile seems really nice though.
DSC_6691.JPG
DSC_6692.JPG
DSC_6693.JPG
DSC_6694.JPG
Mike finished the window. Some new shingles and reinstalled the trim. It's in for good now. It was funny. Mike was working up on a ladder (and hammering shingles) while I was in the kitchen talking to the backsplash guy and we could see Mike while he was working. It was a bit of a scene from The Money Pit.
DSC_6695.JPG
DSC_6696.JPG
More backsplash. This wall is almost done (for setting). Just needs to cut some tiles for under the cabinet area. And grout of course.
DSC_6697.JPG
DSC_6698.JPG
DSC_6699.JPG
DSC_6700.JPG
DSC_6701.JPG
This is where he left off for his 1/2 day. I don't think it was even 4 hours.
DSC_6702.JPG
DSC_6703.JPG
DSC_6704.JPG
This is starting to look really good. Now if the granite riser and sill can get cut today, the granite guys will install that tomorrow morning first thing. Then the backsplash can be finished, at least the initial setting. I don't know if he'd start grout or wait a third day for that.

He said it was amazing how symmetrical the tile cuts came out. He started in the middle of the window and worked out and ended up with the same final cuts on either end, even though the walls are different lengths. They must be different by a multiple of 16", the length of a tile.

I'm wondering if we should go a few shades darker for the walls since there is so much white in here. We will see how that plays out when it is time to select colors. At this rate that will be soon.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Day 23:
More backsplash work and the granite riser and sill is in!

https://1drv.ms/f/s!An5lt1BKvFKdqNg2R-1Odyfdiyl5iA
DSC_6705.JPG
DSC_6706.JPG
DSC_6707.JPG
DSC_6708.JPG
DSC_6709.JPG
DSC_6710.JPG
DSC_6711.JPG
Word is the plasterers will be back tomorrow for the touch up work I requested, and Paul will be back. I hear the cabinets are in, or may be in, or something so that would be fantastic. Things really did move right along after the window.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Looking back at older posts, the window set the schedule back an entire month. 8/30 to 10/2. Long lead items will do that. I think the first window was ordered on 7/30 or 7/31 and was installed 8/28 so, again, about a month.

They managed to squeeze in like ~3 days of work in September, mostly things that normally wouldn't have happened in that order.

Window was put in on 10/3 and 4 days of work have been completed in the 5 available business days, which is about the pace they were maintaining before the window. And I think today that will shift to 5/6.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Day 24:

This update is for 10/10, yesterday.

Tile guy was here. He did more of the backsplash. There was a miscommunication and the cabinets were not delivered to my house as apparently Paul was expecting. He did remove the old ones in preparation for the new ones. The base cabinet arrived after he left, but there was no upper cabinet. I forgot to take a picture of this, or the backsplash.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Day 25:

Wow, some decent progress was made today! Paul was back. He tweaked the dishwasher level per my request, and also tweaked the oven level per my request, and installed the slide-in kit (stainless trim). It looks pretty good. Also, the microwave is in, except he needs to come back to tie the vent in.

Other work done includes the installation of both new cabinets which look awesome. He did the vent tie in. At least two replacement doors per the original inspection dating back to August. Also did baseboard trim on most of the base cabinets, and some caulk work on some misc seams around the kitchen. Oh, also he installed a detail trim around the base of all wall cabinets which I forgot about and looks really good, too.

This is all looking damn good now.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!An5lt1BKvFKdqNhBtEffNGncsxKjqw

New base cabinet. Look, a reasonable side gap. He will install a small filler piece. This base cabinet has two large slide-out shelves which is awesome.
DSC_6712.JPG
This is for the return vent so I believe he has it just sucking from the base cabinet cavity which is fine. I want the hot air vent fully ducted which will be one of the next things to happen.
DSC_6725.JPG
New upper. Notice the trim.
DSC_6713.JPG
These are detail pieces of either stainless or aluminum. It's a little gap strip that goes over the top of the upper backsplash tiles that are exposed. It is dirty so ignore that part. I think these were installed yesterday.
DSC_6714.JPG
DSC_6718.JPG
More of the bottom trim. Really gives a finished look.
DSC_6715.JPG
Microwave!! We didn't get anything overly fancy here, though it was still like $330 which isn't exactly bargain basement pricing as microwaves go. They also get a lot more expensive, especially when they add features like convection ovens (still not understanding that one).
DSC_6716.JPG
DSC_6717.JPG
DSC_6719.JPG
DSC_6721.JPG
DSC_6720.JPG
DSC_6722.JPG
DSC_6723.JPG
The slide-in trim kit. He chose a longer piece than I expected but it fits from the front of the countertop to the rear so I guess that is legit. And the trim does actually serve a protective purpose from stuff banging into the side so that works for me.
DSC_6726.JPG
DSC_6727.JPG
This is coming together so nicely. Next week I know Kelli wants to make her first visit to help us pick paint colors. That would be the first site visit from the main office from someone other than a trade.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Day 26:

Kelli met with us last weekend for colors. We need to get some samples...

Tile guy finished the back splash, uh, yesterday I think.

Electrician was here today. He did:
- ceiling cans
- over sink
- fan
- switches and outlets
- under cabinet
- exterior deck outlet

It looks amazing.

Tomorrow he will finish the basement and install my generator lockout plate.

6 ceiling cans on dim
WP_20181023_19_58_35_Pro.jpg
6 ceiling cans on bright (can barely tell in the picture)
WP_20181023_19_58_45_Pro.jpg
6 ceiling cans + sink + under cabinet
WP_20181023_19_59_02_Pro.jpg
WP_20181023_19_59_06_Pro.jpg
WP_20181023_19_59_11_Pro.jpg
Under cabinet and sink only
WP_20181023_19_59_21_Pro.jpg
WP_20181023_19_59_27_Pro.jpg
The lights are decent quality also. Check out the specs.
WP_20181023_20_13_06_Pro.jpg
3000K is just right (not too blue) and 93 CRI is surprisingly good for LED.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Day 27:
Electrician was back to finish his work and Paul did a few things.

Electrical:
- Swapped the fan and outside light switch per my request
- Finished basement work (ran wires down their chaseway, installed my generator lockout plate, installed the GFCI breakers)
- The lockout plate install also included a bunch of stickers which I guess came with the plate

Finish carpentry:
- Microwave vent tie-in is done
- Heater vent is done
- I think Paul adjusted some doors.
WP_20181029_19_00_14_Pro.jpg
WP_20181029_19_00_20_Pro.jpg
WP_20181029_19_00_25_Pro.jpg
I will have to rebalance my loads or at least update the spreadsheet.
WP_20181029_19_02_59_Pro.jpg
WP_20181029_19_19_47_Pro.jpg
WP_20181029_19_19_53_Pro.jpg
I guess I will test the lockout plate next time the power goes out.....
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Been over a month since I posted. Mainly it was odds and ends. Paint just finished today and it looks really good. About 1-1/2 day's work I guess.

Let me try to give a quick synopsis:
- Ceiling trim
- Finish vent tie-in and baseboard in that one area
- Cover nail holes and finish items like that
- Realign the wall cabinet to the left of the sink window and recaulk
- Touch up counter to wall seam by the entryway
- Filler pieces and caulk on the new cabinets (base and wall)
- Add baseboard to tie into living room
- Touch up caulking along the filler for the pantry (should be done before paint)
- Final box and door touch-ups with the paint stick (probably defer this to the end)
- Hide all cabinet screw heads
- Finish installing all shelving (one base cabinet only I think)
- Microwave vent
- Re-do grout line where backsplash meets wood or granite. There is a sanded flex caulk for this
- Touch up grout at entryway between tile floor and hardwood in dining room
- Touch up granite riser grout with flex caulk
- Paint all visible cabinet screw heads white (the ones at the rails, not the rear of the cabinets)
- Add restriction clips to a few doors due to contacting when fully open

There might be more but I think that is most of it. That basically covers the month of November. This was quite a few visits but not that many hours each.

The one remaining item is:
- Replace one undercabinet light connector due to flickering (bad batch - I squeezed together and it stopped)

There is a scrape mark on the hinge side of the pantry door that the painter noticed. I may or may not mention this. Not sure yet.

I think I am going to replace the outlets since they were painted by the previous owner (I love that). But here is what we have now.
DSC_6820.JPG
DSC_6821.JPG
DSC_6822.JPG
DSC_6823.JPG
DSC_6824.JPG
DSC_6825.JPG
DSC_6826.JPG
DSC_6827.JPG
DSC_6828.JPG
I love the way the white baseboard trim came out. It's settled; I definitely want to convert this house over from stained to white, except for parts of the stairs, and the great room is kind of something to deal with separately.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Here are some major dates and milestones from combing the thread:
Kitchen milestones.png
Basically it started really well but after two major material delays (which I basically signed off on), that totally pooched the schedule and order of operations. Some of the stuff in November was also due to material delays from the cabinet maker, like the ceiling trim stuff. But again, technically I was part of that as the original plan was for regular crown. We switched to a baseboard style trim due to ceiling flatness variance.

So THREE major material delays based on design changes during the work. I just didn't expect the delays to be as bad as they were I guess.

My labor estimates are probably low as I am missing visits and work I am sure. Just a very rough estimate.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I did ask the painter about his process for painting stained trim white. He likes a primer made by Zinsser that is shellac-based. The only one I could find that was not "synthetic shellac" is this:
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catal ... ase-primer

They make it in a spray. If the plan was to repaint the walls, I could mask the floor with tape, then get one of those big spray shields and hold it at the floor, and just let the primer overspray onto the wall since I'd be painting anyway. That would make quick work of priming. I guess I could do the same with the top coat. He said he likes to spray which is what gave me the idea. Or just lay on the floor and brush carefully as per usual routine...

But I guess the point is, the pro-tip is to use this primer rather than try sanding the stain down or something.