Samsung PN60E8000GF won't power on

"Oh, honey, he's teasing you. Nobody has two television sets."
kevm14

Samsung PN60E8000GF won't power on

Post by kevm14 »

I inherited a pretty awesome TV courtesy of Bryan just this afternoon. Thanks Bryan! However, unlike the snow blower, this one will actually need a real repair.

Still, this was a pretty high end TV at the time (2012), with an MSRP of about $3,500. Bryan even threw in the 3D glasses.

Full model #: PN60E8000GFXZA

http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-pne8000/

Probably worth fixing.
WP_20150920_18_34_49_Pro.jpg
WP_20150920_18_35_51_Pro.jpg
WP_20150920_18_37_11_Pro.jpg
The symptom (I have not tried it yet) is that it repeatedly power cycles. Bryan narrowed it to the mainboard with a diagnostic routine he found online.

Mainboard: https://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch ... N94-04967G
https://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn94- ... 0gfxza.htm

About the stock of this item, they say:
We've had this item in-stock for less than 33% of the time over the last 3 months, so we don​'t want to lead you on and claim that we'll get it again soon. If you're not in a rush to get it, please don't hesitate to sign up for a product alert. Otherwise, you may want to look elsewhere.
Assuming it comes back into stock (or I find another, reputable source), I could be looking at a $100 repair. And then I will be living the dream of exactly what I wanted - a 60" plasma for my great room, since my Sony 36XBR400 died (RIP). Ok, what I really wanted was a Panasonic, but I will be more than happy with this one, if I can get it working.

Side note: this will not save power compared to my old Sony CRT, though it is nearly twice the size.
kevm14

Re: Samsung PN60E8000GF won't power on

Post by kevm14 »

All the places that have it for under $100 are out of stock. I've found a couple that claim to have it but it's like $300.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasm ... st37449378

Now that's interesting. I will call Sears Parts Direct tomorrow!
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Dead end. Here's my chat script with Samsung. Note the bold parts.

Chat InformationPlease wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Andy'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is LTK11256012093852X

Andy: Hi, thank you for reaching out to Samsung technical support. How may I assist you?

Andy: Please excuse us for the long hold. We have had an unusually high volume of chats coming in. I would be happy to assist you with any questions you have about our products.

Kevin: Well, my TV won't power on (it repeatedly clicks). I have done some troubleshooting and I have narrowed the problem down to the main board (P/N BN94-04967G). I cannot find the part in stock online. Is there any way you can help me? The TV is PN60E8000GFXZA. Thanks.

Andy: Please allow me to assist you with with information about purchasing the part as the TV keeps clicking when powering on.

Andy: I will provide you with information about our parts department from where you can purchase the parts as well as get information about the exact part.

Kevin: Ok...

Andy: Note: Price and Part number are subject to change.

Andy: However, the part that you are referring to is not user replaceable.

Kevin: It's not?

Kevin: Doesn't seem very hard to get to...

Andy: Shall I provide you with details about service?

Kevin: This was a very expensive TV...only 2 or 3 years old

Kevin: Is there anything you can do for me?

Andy: I understand your concern with this issue.

Andy: We definitely want you to enjoy the TV as soon as possible; however, a physical diagnosis is necessary to determine the defective part of the TV.

Andy: I can provide you with information about service.

Andy: Is that okay with you>

Andy: *you?

Kevin: Yes

Andy: The TV needs to be serviced, since the issue persists. Please follow the instructions provided here, that would help you file an online service request. You could get back to us via Live Chat anytime with the ticket ID LTK11256012093852X, if you run into issues during the process. We are available 24/7 to assist you better.

Andy: Please access the link below for scheduling a service request:

Andy: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/request

Andy: Once you create the service ticket, the service center will contact you within 2 business days to set the service appointment.

Andy: Is the above link accessible?

Kevin: Yes, but what is this going to cost?

Andy: You can get the information from the service center as the cost can only be determined after a physical examination by a service technician.

Andy: Your product may be eligible for our Samsung Protection Plus Rescure Repair program. Since your product is currently out of manufacturer's warranty, you would normally need to pay for a technician's service trip fee, parts and labor; however, our SPP Rescue Repair plan covers these costs AND protects your appliance for an additional year for covered repairs. If your product cannot be repaired, you would receive a refund; less a $99 diagnostic fee.

Andy: Are you interested in hearing more about this program?

Kevin: ok

Andy: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.

Andy: Sure, please call 1-877-292-9699 to get started.

Andy: Their hours of operation: 9am to 9pm Monday thru Sunday (7 days a week)

Andy: Just to confirm, are we connected on the chat?

Kevin: Yes

Kevin: I'm just annoyed

Andy: I understand your concern with this issue.

Kevin: What is the cost of the main board if that ends up being the problem?

Andy: Since internal parts are not user replaceable you can contact Samsungparts.com in order to get the information on internal parts.

Andy: We have a parts department and two ways to reach them:

Andy: You can order parts by phone. Contact our parts distributor, Samsung Parts, (also known as J&J Parts) at 1-800-627-4368. Hours of operation: Mon - Fri from 9:00 A.M to 8:30 P.M EST. Have your model code ready.

Andy: OR

Andy: You can contact them on the website http://www.samsungparts.com 24 hours a day seven days a week. Please have your model code ready to enter into the search field.

Kevin: ok

Andy: If you are looking for more details on the functionality of a product or would like to find answers to some of the questions, visit us at "http://www.samsungsimulator.com" for an interactive review of some of our Samsung products.

Andy: Can I help you with anything else?

Kevin: no

Andy: We appreciate your efforts in communicating your needs with us, and we would also like to thank you kindly for your time. We really appreciate your cooperation, and are committed to do our best to help you.

Andy: Thanks for chatting with Samsung Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive the transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better.
Follow Samsung Service on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
Off to Samsungparts.com...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Hmm.

http://www.samsungparts.com/Products/Pa ... 4967G.aspx

I put it in my cart and it seems like they'd let me buy it.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/ ... 7G/3922763
Out of Stock -

Expected Ship Date September 28 - October 15 if ordered today
Welcome to http://www.repairclinic.com Kevin. Your Customer Care professional, Nicole, will be right with you.

Nicole
Hi my name is Nicole, how may I assist you today?

Kevin
I am looking at part BN94-04967G. However, it says out of stock.

Kevin
If I place the order today, do you charge my card at that time, or when the item ships?

Nicole
Yes, it does, and we charge the card once the part ships out.

Kevin
Can I cancel the order if it has not shipped yet?

Nicole
Yes, as long as it has not shipped out

Kevin
Do you have any more specific information on stock?

Kevin
Like do you really expect stock within the next few weeks?

Kevin
Or is that just the default message?

Nicole
Unfortunately we do not have any more information on it, but that is the expected date, no it is not a default, it is different for almost every package, so that is definitely when we expect it

Kevin
ok

Kevin
What is your warranty on this item, if any?

Kevin
I see you have a 1 year return policy...does that constitute a warranty?

Nicole
It is not an actual warranty, it is a 365 day return policy, we do not offer a warranty, but it can be returned for any reason for up to a year

Kevin
including if it breaks?

Nicole
Yes, for any reason.

Kevin
alrighty
Price in the middle, quasi-availability and return policy mean I will try my luck with these folks.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

The plot gets thicker.
Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your recent order with RepairClinic.com.

I am emailing you regarding the control board that you ordered for your television.

RepairClinic Item #3922763
Samsung OEM Part #BN94-04967G

I went to special order this from you today and I found out that the manufacturer is now charging a core on the board. A core is something they sometimes charge when they want to receive the part back. The manufacturer has added a $104 core charge on the part when purchasing this part.

How it works is when you order, you have to add an additional $104 to the part price. Then once you receive and install the new part, you mail the old part back to us and we issue a $104 refund.

Essentially, you would be paying the same price for the part, but we would need you to pay the additional core charge up front and in the end we would refund you for that once we receive the old part back.

I’m emailing you to know if you would like to do this? If you choose not to, I will need to cancel your order. The price of the part with the core charge would amount to $301.15.

Please let me know if you would like a further explanation or if you have any questions.
So aside from spending half the e-mail explaining how a core charge works (side note: the website now hilariously markets the core charge as "cash back"), this is interesting.

Gives me a bit of a warm/fuzzy that the part is actually available in some form. But I also question how it could possibly be a new OEM part. Probably remanufactured...but by whom and did they address the root cause? Either way, this core is now worth more than the part used to cost brand new only a few months back.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I think the date is now Oct 10th.

But I plugged the TV in last night and it wasn't even clicking. Suspect a power supply issue. Fortunately, there is this:
http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn44-0 ... ir-kit.htm

I may pull the TV apart and take a look at the power board. May find some scorching.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Replacement power supply board:
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/ ... 4A/3905458

Given that price, the fact that it's special order, and that the components in the repair kit are probably better quality than what's on the board, the kit makes a lot of sense.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Got the bug to take this thing apart and check the power supply board for issues.

Somehow I was able to manhandle it from where it was on its stand, onto its face. That was not easy. It's not THAT heavy, but it is big and I assume fragile.
WP_20150924_17_30_39_Pro.jpg
I didn't count but there were somewhere on the order of 24 screws. 7 of those 24 were fine thread and I am pretty sure a few were in the wrong place.
WP_20150924_17_38_22_Pro.jpg
Main board.
WP_20150924_17_38_40_Pro.jpg
A crappy shot of the part number (BN94-04967G).
WP_20150924_17_53_07_Pro.jpg
Probably one of the display driver boards.
WP_20150924_17_38_45_Pro.jpg
Power supply board.
WP_20150924_17_38_52_Pro.jpg
Probably another display driver board.
WP_20150924_17_38_58_Pro.jpg
Power supply board removed. Just two plugs and like 6 screws. One screw was different than the others. The one in the bottom left of the board. Positive sign: no burn marks on the TV chassis.
WP_20150924_17_42_59_Pro.jpg
See next post for more.