Samsung PN60E8000GF won't power on

"Oh, honey, he's teasing you. Nobody has two television sets."
bill25

Re: Samsung PN60E8000GF won't power on

Post by bill25 »

Problem solved. This is bigger than the computer monitor right?

https://providence.craigslist.org/zip/d ... 85523.html
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

But, how will I know if it's work, not broken?
bill25

Post by bill25 »

LOL. I was going to say something about that...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I will document my experience of parting this TV out.
DSC_6320.JPG
Samsung PN60E8000 parts diagram.png
Here is the table I have made with parts I have taken off, part numbers identified, and some eBay research to determine approximate value. MSRP prices are taken from Repair Clinic's pricing:
Samsung PN60E8000 parts list.png
If I manage to sell everything for these prices, the gross proceeds would be around $650. However, I think I would do free shipping on these (and a buy it now, maybe with a best offer tag) so that cuts into margins. I need to ensure I can make a profit on each item and the remote and speakers are pretty low value. A complete swag on shipping puts me around $130 for a net profit of $520. Now I think I only had like $300 into this TV so honestly earning my money back (plus a little for my trouble) is satisfactory. I think I can safely manage that. Also it should be said that this is more than the TV is worth working - and the display is totally smashed. Or, maybe I should input the specs into eBay and let it calculate shipping for people. I need to ensure I have a viable packaging option for each item before I actually list it so I don't get stuck running around or something after an item is purchased and paid for. I will probably focus on the highest value items first.

I am considering doing a little more research to determine if I can list cross-applications to help broaden my market but all I will probably do is copy the cross-applications that other eBay listings already mention and use those. Otherwise I will stick to the actual model. I mean, I don't want to deal with returns anyway.

I will also list the parts as pulled from a working TV. I could mention the cracked display but if I think the parts are functional (assuming the display failure didn't take something out - which I cannot be 100% sure of), then I see no reason to scare people off.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Power supply sold and paid for.

Buyer sent me $90 + $16.45 for calculated shipping. Actual S&H ended up costing $15.88 which was pulled directly from Paypal. I am not sure but I think there were no fees due to a promotion eBay has right now.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Power supply delivered. Hoping for good feedback. Or barring that, nothing at all.

Finally got some views on my other stuff. I will give it a week. Next step would be to consider allowing returns, dropping the price a bit, or possibly just changing it to free shipping. No harm in waiting a bit longer though.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Nice, someone bought the wifi module!

$49. Funny thing - this is also a Florida address like with the power supply. What's maybe more interesting though is this person's Paypal information says "Electronics world." I wonder if they are some kind of dealer/shop/reseller for parts and maybe my price allowed them to be able to resell whole OR they just need the part because they are repairing a used TV for sale. Something like that. Either way, another $49 is sweet, bringing the total profit so far to around $139.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Jamie will ship the WiFi module this morning.

And guess what - another sale. Y-main board. $95 and he sent shipping since all of my listings are currently buyer pays shipping. This time the buyer is called "stantontv" out of NY. I guess these repair shops are buying my parts? Works for me. I did price them not at the very top of the market for a reason.

Oh, I think there are going to be selling fees. It seems to be adding them up and then they will invoice me perhaps at the end of the month or something. I'll cover the fees when I figure that out.

So far I will say this is exactly why I chose eBay and not Craigslist. These kind of parts just need the kind of market coverage that eBay provides. I wouldn't have sold a single thing on CL so far. The fees are worth it.

It also helps that there is some demand for these parts. I don't know if I'd peg plasma reliability below LCD/LED, but certainly given the circumstances, someone is MUCH more likely to fix up a plasma. Or even buy a used one. The image quality is very good, and they don't make them anymore. Two big reasons.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote:Oh, I think there are going to be selling fees. It seems to be adding them up and then they will invoice me perhaps at the end of the month or something. I'll cover the fees when I figure that out.
So eBay invoiced me for activity from mid-June through mid-July. Two listings were part of that since they actually sold. Somewhat annoyingly eBay took a cut of the shipping costs, too. Here is the breakdown of how that worked for the two items in the invoice:

Power supply board
BIN $90, eBay took 10% @ $9
Shipping seller paid $16.45, eBay took 10% @ $1.64

WiFi module
BIN $49, eBay took 10% @ $4.90
Shipping seller paid $7.60, eBay took 10% @ $0.76

So looks like a straight 10% haircut here...I feel like these fees used to be less. $16.30 for two items.

Anyway, I can do a P&L thing for these two items now.

Power supply board net: $90-$9+$16.45-$1.64-$15.88 = $79.93.
WiFi module net: $49-$4.90+$7.60-$0.76-$7.35 = $43.59.
So the net on the first two was a total of $123.52.

I just shipped the Y-main and using the 10% and assume I lose a buck or two on the shipping due to the fee, that should net me another ~$83.50 for a total net so far of $207.02. Not bad right?