05 STS: Refrigerant oil leaking??

You should know what this is. If not, you probably roll your windows down a lot.
kevm14

05 STS: Refrigerant oil leaking??

Post by kevm14 »

I see some green stuff directly under the compressor on a line that is not for the A/C. I'm figuring there is an oil leak in the A/C system somewhere because I can't think of anything green and viscous that isn't compressor oil.

So before the compressor grenades (it is not making any bad noises except I think I noted the A/C is not as good as it used to be during some hot days in early summer), necessitating the replacement of the condenser and maybe more stuff, I am going to add some oil, and some stop leak. There is some R134a in both of those cans so if it is a little low that could also help top it off. I'll report back if I learn anything interesting.
kevm14

Re: 05 STS: Refrigerant oil leaking??

Post by kevm14 »

I added 3oz of refrigerant oil (well, some of it is refrigerant as a propellant) and 3oz of stop leak (same deal) to the STS. Surprisingly, the air output actually got colder when I was done with all of this. So maybe it needed that little top off, plus I hope the oil and stop leak does their job and prevents a future A/C disaster. Crossing fingers for sure. Compressor looks like a real bitch to do, surprising no one.

So, fixed for now.