Corolla Out of Comission

You should know what this is. If not, you probably roll your windows down a lot.
bill25

Corolla Out of Comission

Post by bill25 »

Just temporarily. Great timing with the 3 blowing out a shock...

The replacement trans cooler lines are too big (Thanks Advanced Auto). I have the lines that came off the car to match diameter to try that again. This car in not operational until this repair. I bent the connector coming off the radiator (the trans hoses were really stuck on), it might be ok, but the radiator is shedding radiator fast so I have a replacement on order along with new upper and lower hoses and a thermostat and cap. Also the mid way metal part of the trans lines are rotted, and one broke. I think this was the actual cause of the leak. Yes, before I broke it...

My plan is to bypass the center stretch of rotted metal hose and just put in rubber trans hose from trans to radiator and back, unless someone has heard of that being a really bad idea.

I also plan to drain the coolant, and clean/spray out the heater core. I am sure it will be an adventure. Hopefully I can use this car again before the winter...

This is also the plate on my transfer station pass. I wonder if you can have 2 plates numbers on those passes...
bill25

Re: Corolla Out of Comission

Post by bill25 »

Back in commission?

I changed out the radiator, upper and lower hoses and trans lines to the radiator. I also changed the serpentine belt. None of that seems to leak, and all works.

I need to double check levels of trans fluid and coolant. I lost some trans fluid during the radiator replacement when a trans line allowed fluid to gravity feed onto the driveway.

Some issues:
I didn't change the thermostat due to not being able to remove the alternator. I am pretty sure I stripped the lower bolt with a socket that broke... Should have used the craftsmen one... So that happened.

I took the car for a test drive, and it started to overheat, I pulled over and added more coolant (50/50 mix this time.) Seems ok now. Will double check.

Overall, this job kind of sucked. I am pissed about the alternator.
kevm14

Re: Corolla Out of Comission

Post by kevm14 »

You may need to ensure the system is bled (no air pockets). Different cars have different procedures (and different levels of how hard it is to bleed them).