96 Roadmaster poor heat

You should know what this is. If not, you probably roll your windows down a lot.
kevm14

96 Roadmaster poor heat

Post by kevm14 »

Yup. After driving the truck I decided to take the Roadmaster up to Herb Chambers Cadillac in Warwick for some of those plastic push rivet things.

The heat was pretty sucky. Also there was a layer of ice INSIDE the windshield. I have parked it into the sun now so hopefully that doesn't happen.

But yeah, the heat is shitty. I'm guessing the heater core needs to be flushed. This is something I very well may not get to until spring because this is not a winter vehicle. And it is 16F today anyway. At even 32F the heat may do enough to get by. Not at 16.

I'll do my old aggressive forward and reverse flush eventually. Hopefully I can clear it out.

Also the car cranked pretty slowly and required quite a few revolutions to fire. I mean, it's been sitting, it's cold and if the battery wasn't putting out full juice I guess that is expected.
Adam

Re: 96 Roadmaster poor heat

Post by Adam »

Replacing the heater core is actually pretty easy in those cars.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I am hoping that, unlike your FW, this core is not beyond flushing.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Flushing is easier...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Adam wrote:Flushing is easier...
It looks like it'll be super easy actually. Just disconnect these two clamps.
WP_20180113_12_36_17_Pro.jpg
Found a loose clamp dangling precariously near the fan. Used my new hose clamp pliers. They are awesome.
WP_20180113_12_36_07_Pro.jpg
WP_20180113_12_36_11_Pro.jpg
Took it for a drive. This car drives really well. On a bumpy road nothing rides like a full frame car with lots of sidewall.

Felt the heater hoses when I got back. The return was cold. So the heater core is probably clogged and will benefit from a flush.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Oh my god flushing was the easiest I've ever seen on a car. Granted all LT1 B-bodies have the same hose setup as my Roadmaster. But the previous owner clearly had done maintenance so the T was not original. The hose that goes to the T came right off. Same for the other hose that goes to the restrictor. Also, my spring clamp pliers are AWESOME.

All I did was remove the hoses, and use a garden hose with sprayer into each hose, alternating. I believe I saw something release at the beginning. I went back and forth and after a while started blowing out the heater core with compressed air before switching water directions, to try to get more agitation. At the end I blasted it with compressed air to get as much of my well water out of the heater core. I reconnected the hoses and added fluid to the pressure tank. Then I opened the bleeder and waited a bit until it started running, and then closed it.

Next I started the engine, let it build pressure, and opened the bleeder one more time. I don't think any air even came out.

Result is I now have heat!
DSCF3272.JPG
DSCF3273.JPG
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Drove the car tonight to pick up dinner and the heat worked as normal. This is good and I still can't believe how easy it was.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

1 year later the heat is still working.