Maxima A/C

You should know what this is. If not, you probably roll your windows down a lot.
kevm14

Maxima A/C

Post by kevm14 »

Last year I went through quite a few cans of R-134a until I tried some Napa stop leak. Not the refrigerant with some stop leak, but just like 4oz of stop leak (with a tiny amount of refrigerant as propellant I'm sure). That worked for the rest of the season. Well it's humid today so I want to try the A/C. No go. I hear hissing from the evaporator but that's it.

My local Napa hasn't put out their R-134a yet so I tried the new Advance Auto (replaced a CARQUEST, so I figure now I'll actually go there, maybe). Yep, they had some cans. I bought two, and put one in. Vent temps got into the good zone on the gauge but I'll have to wait until an actually warm day to see if it has the proper capacity. The A/C in this car works fairly well, also, so that's good. Plus auto climate control is sweet (which also works fine still).
Bob

Re: Maxima A/C

Post by Bob »

I remember dealing with sub-par A/C on my 98 Civic EX daily driver. I used to go through this drill every year. I think even when the system was functioning 100%, it probably wasn't that good.
Fast_Ed

Re: Maxima A/C

Post by Fast_Ed »

Got the Vent temps down to ~42-44F last weekend testing the RMW. Probably dont even need to charge. This is good, because everything but the evap/condensor was replaced last year.

Dont forget I have some extra refrigerant available, and we have a scale to measure the amount added now as well.

Saturn still works on last year's charge, but It could probably use an extra slug of air/refrigerant mixture as well. Pretty sure I can keep most of the air out using the gauge set..

Did you add any PAG oil when you added refrigerant? The saab is completely out of 134a but not sure if I should try to insert some oil first.