2008 SRX hatch strut replacement

Got rust?
kevm14

2008 SRX hatch strut replacement

Post by kevm14 »

Hmm, struts came in from Rockauto. Go out to car...can't get to lower mount. Check manual.
2008 SRX Liftgate Strut Replacement.pdf
(252.82 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Oh, just have to remove the tail lights. How do you do that?
2008 SRX Tail Lamp Replacement.pdf
(213.18 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Oh boy...this is a job for another day. Which is when I closed the hatch and tackled the plug wires on the Caprice instead. Sigh.
Fast_Ed

Re: 2008 SRX hatch strut replacement

Post by Fast_Ed »

You know it's a rough job if V8 plug wires are the simpler option... Though for non-LT1 cars, I guess it's a lot easier.. and more forgiving.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yeah. It's not so much that it's hard, but more that I didn't feel like figuring out the interior panels. Too easy to break something.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Pics.
S7302899.JPG
S7302900.JPG
You'd think they could have made the strut a bit shorter and the lower mount a bit higher. It would be one thing if this did not impact the maintainability of a wear item, but lift struts definitely do not last forever and will be replaced in the vehicle's lifetime (probably more than once).
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Well, these pics are worth a million dollars. I thought you were talking about replacing rear struts. I was like, "What??? you have to remove the tail lights...???"
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

3 years later...now that the hatch is falling down slowly onto my head as I unload the cargo area...

Using the new struts as a guide I was able to slide a small screwdriver in and release the spring, after partially pulling back this rubber pad from the tail light. It took a bit of screwing around until I figured out to peel that back and at what angle to pry (blindly). You also must disconnect the upper and push it toward the vehicle to create more room to pry. In fact I almost gave up more than once.

But after I did the driver's side, the passenger side took like 1 minute. Based on reading the forums, with these cars you aren't necessarily restricted to the FSM method. I know that is true for all cars but these vehicles have some difficult jobs in tight places, so improvising can be rewarding, if done carefully.
WP_20180520_11_05_32_Pro.jpg
WP_20180520_11_05_44_Pro.jpg
WP_20180520_11_05_49_Pro.jpg
Of course they want you to remove the tail lights which requires removing some rear trim stuff. I think my method was easier.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

The hatch struts appear to be weak again. To be honest they were never that strong even after I replaced them. I think I bought Stabilus last time but this time I may try Sachs. Not sure if having the struts new in the package for THREE YEARS was any help to their longevity. In the new house I know I stored them in the garage so they were mostly exposed to the elements. But yes I will try another brand. Stabilus is $14.64/ea and Sachs is $16.16. AC Delco Professional is $23.79/ea and has a 2 day delay.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Very strange. I pulled them out of the package and they say Stabilus. Yet they are clearly made by Sachs in Mexico and even had ZF info on them. I'd bet the AC Delco are also made by Sachs, as Sachs is the actual OEM. So I spent another $1.50 on "Sachs" only to get a Stabilus branded strut that is made by....Sachs. Does this make any sense? But I digress.

Anyway I just completed the job. Did the right one first and that took less than 10 minutes. The left one was more difficult but eventually I was able to pop the spring clip off entirely from the bottom socket and it fell through the tail light to the ground. Then it came right off obviously.

So overall, really not too hard since I remembered to peel back that stuff on the top of the tail light and work laparoscopically. I have been using that word a lot lately.

The result is it works better but still not what I'd expect OEM to do. Most cars I think the hatch opens and pushes itself to fully open. This one does so but stops short a few inches. You can push it up the rest of the way but it just seems odd. This may be good because if you open this hatch with the garage door open, it will hit the garage door if it goes all the way open. So maybe it's OK that it can hang a few inches lower. Just shouldn't fall down on your head and stuff.