08 SRX leaky tire

It's pronounced "chassy." Brakes, suspension...things that make the car fun or a death trap
kevm14

08 SRX leaky tire

Post by kevm14 »

Normally I wouldn't bother posting this but I had an interesting quick discussion with the shop guy.

It's been a few weeks in a row now that Jamie tells me her TPMS says right front tire low. I've refilled it enough that I decided to pull the right front tire and bring it to Tire Pros. These tires were put on like last year so I thought maybe she ran something over - the right rear is also leaking slowly but not nearly as much as the front right, so I'm ignoring it for now.

Anyway, I bring in the tire, drop it off, and they call an hour later. Tire's done. Easy.

When I get there to pick it up, I asked what it was. He said "bead seal." Now bead seal is a fairly common thing, especially when aluminum wheels age. That's pretty much the bane of my existence on the CTS-V actually. I've lost track of how many tires I've brought them over the years. Currently only ONE on that car doesn't leak. The right rear leaks down in 2 weeks as it sits. But I digress.

So he says, meet me around the side to pick it up. Oh, another no charge job. I've had many of those with these guys but typically only when I bring loose tires. If they have to take up a bay and R&R the tire, they typically charge. This makes sense.

Around the side he brings the tire out and I'm like..."so really just a bead leak? Because I had these tires installed like a year ago. It seems like this always happens to me." He looks at me and is like "Do you know many bead leak tires I get? Like 25 a week. HALF of my leaky tire jobs are bead leaks." (I think he said week, or day??). He said the cold weather really does it when there is less than a perfect seal between the tire and the wheel. He also said warm weather states pretty much don't have this issue. Well...guess what, we have some cold-ass weather right now.

I don't know what the point of this is. Should I have just kept inflating the tire until warmer weather? I dunno. Just wanted to pass that conversation along if nothing else.
bill25

Re: 08 SRX leaky tire

Post by bill25 »

My leaky tires are usually due to places wrecking my TPM sensors when changing tires.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

As far as I know, Tire Pros has never damaged a TPMS and I have 3 cars with it, and have had their tires serviced there for a long time now.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I have not experienced this issue on any of our cars (warm weather state).
Adam

Post by Adam »

I don't have any cars with TPMS.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

What about leaky tires? Unless you're one of the many people driving around when it is 5 degrees with their tires at 22 psi. It's a thing.