The case for the Viper ACR

Car/truck/automotive news and discussion
bill25

The case for the Viper ACR

Post by bill25 »

Wow. I have to admit, I was very skeptical of the hype the Viper ACR was getting, killing the 2016 Lightning Lap etc.

The argument to the Viper has always been: The Viper looks good, but will kill you and is impossible to live with. The Corvette is slower, but more a daily driver.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2015-che ... ad-wvideo/

I kind of agree with this video based on the drive and comments. They are both supercars, but the Corvette was way less refined when it came to handling. It seems like they have traded the "This car will kill you" title. I was very surprised at the comments about how unstable the Corvette was. I was just as surprised at how planted and poised the Viper was.

I would say that if I won the lottery (The only way I would be able to own either) I would get the Viper. It looks insane, and seems to really handle well. It is loud, but I own earplugs, and this is not a car you would drive every day. It also has legitimate performance, so you aren't wearing earplugs because the car is fun, but not fast, it is really fast! Not to say that the Corvette won't get more dialed in, but, I have to hand it to Dodge, this thing is awesome.
kevm14

Re: The case for the Viper ACR

Post by kevm14 »

Yeah I remember that Head 2 Head from a while back. The Z06 ass end wasn't planted. I vaguely remember that being caused by an alignment issue (rear caster or something very odd sounding like that). I will see if I can find that.

Here is the 2015 Z06 w/ Z07 on the 2015 Lightning Lap:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/ch ... 15-feature

No such issues.

Technically, there is no Corvette equivalent to the ACR. The Z06 w/ Z07 is the closest but the cars aren't really the same mission. The ACR usually dominates any track it lands on because its purpose it so be a street legal race car. I would expect the ACR to beat the Z06 w/ Z07 around basically any race track. But the Z06 will come close. If you buy a Viper ACR to do anything other than track it, that doesn't make any sense. That is its purpose. Watch the BDC videos and read the articles. They confirm it.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Though they do bring up a good point about the Z06 - each one they get seems to have a different personality.

I'd say the Grand Sport is the one to get anyway.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Right, but I would most likely still need to win the lottery to get a Corvette GS, and honestly, I think the Viper would still be the purchase because I would get whatever Camaro for my daily (a small back seat is crucial over no backseat for a daily in my case).

It is nice to have options, but if you are looking for a track car, the Viper is it.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

It certainly is.