99 Ram transmission fluid, filter and band adjustment

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
kevm14

99 Ram transmission fluid, filter and band adjustment

Post by kevm14 »

This incidentally happened at exactly 120,000 miles. According to previous records, the original 42RE failed and was rebuilt around 105k if memory serves. I found out recently that a band adjustment may be required every 24k and 2 years so between that and the fact that I thought the 2-3 shift was way too soft, I decided to do the fluid, filter and band adjustment.

For fluid I used ATF+4 which is a full synthetic.

Side note: with my narrow 8 foot doors and low ceiling, working on the truck inside the garage is pretty difficult. The best I could do was put the ramps right up to the edge of the garage lip and that put the trans pan over the concrete apron just enough to avoid getting fluid all over the new driveway. So it worked out alright.
WP_20170430_09_43_16_Pro.jpg
WP_20170430_09_43_24_Pro.jpg
I loosened the trans pan bolts with my cordless impact and that was kind of cool - first time I used my Ryobi impact on automotive work. Sped things along. This is the typical job - loosen bolts, remove bolts in rear, loosen bolts in front and pan tips down. The mess was fairly contained. Put pan aside to clean later, including magnet.

On this transmission, the filter is actually held to the valve body with 2 torx bolts which I haven't seen before. I prefer this to the 700R4 style because that seal is such a pain. No such issues here and no worries that it is not seated correctly.

After the filter is down, I looked for the rear band adjustment. That is the one inside the pan area and does 3rd gear and reverse I guess. The front band is on the outside of the case and adjusts the 1-2 shift for lack of a better description.
WP_20170430_10_45_22_Pro.jpg
WP_20170430_10_45_36_Pro.jpg
The adjuster was a 5/16" square and I will spare the recounting of how much effort it was to try other things and even buy these universal sockets from Sears that are supposed to work for things like this. Eventually I just borrowed Bill's 8 point sockets and the 5/16" one fit perfectly. Phew. This part of the job cost a lot of time unfortunately.

Next, back off the adjuster lock nut. I think it was 11/16". Then tighten the adjuster until it bottoms and torque to 72 in-lbs. This is just a known torque value for applying the band. Then back off 4 turns. Not all data sources agreed and it turns out that I think 3 would have been a better setting. More on that later. Tighten lock nut to 25 lb-ft while holding adjuster still.

Next I think I put the filter on and cleaned the pan out. By the way the fluid looked and smelled perfectly fine so that's good.

The adjuster on the case is subject to corrosion so I had soaked it down before with PB. Here it is.
WP_20170430_10_45_56_Pro.jpg
WP_20170430_10_46_13_Pro.jpg
It did break free. This lock nut was 3/4" and the adjuster was torx, just to make things different. This one called for 3 turns, updated with a TSB for 99+ 42REs. Same deal as before. This was harder to access with the shift linkage. I disconnected a TV valve return spring and almost forgot to reconnect it later and fortunately remembered while adding fluid. Nice. That would have been super fun.

I put the pan back on and filled 4 quarts of fluid. I ended up doing 4-3/4 qt and it may have taken more. Fun fact: the pump doesn't run in park so you must check fluid in neutral.

Result? The 1-2 shift at low to medium throttle feels similar as before. But the 1-2 at heavy to WOT feels SUBSTANTIALLY firmer. Quite positive and nice, just like you'd want. My Caprice has never shifted this firm on the WOT 1-2 the entire time I've owned it.

Unfortunately the problem 2-3 shift remains the same. I suspect that 4 turn adjustment for the rear band was incorrect for this transmission and it wants 3 turns. Possibly even less.

Naturally that adjuster requires the pan to come down so I won't be messing with that for a while. I guess I have time to figure out the correct setting. Barring that I'd probably try 3 turns or maybe 2.5. Will I wait the full 2 years and 24k? I hope not. I guess it depends on how often I drive it with a load/towing. Right now that is practically never.

For now, this is good. Combined with the new fan clutch, the truck feels a lot more sprightly in first gear especially under heavy throttle. This was worth it even if I didn't accomplish exactly what I wanted.
kevm14

Re: 99 Ram transmission fluid, filter and band adjustment

Post by kevm14 »

I drove it into work this morning. One thought that crossed my mind is that "this feels like a V8 again." Very happy with all results (including fan clutch).
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I think the Ram is leaking transmission fluid...

I guess I will have to look into this tomorrow.

Maybe I'll get to do my rear band re-adjustment sooner rather than later.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

What did you do? Take a week off to work on transmissions?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I performed some traffic maneuvers driving home for lunch today...one of which was a WOT 2-1-2. Then a minute later I braked pretty hard and turned a little before stopping. I went to immediately get back on the gas (yield sign), and nothing - it revved like it was in neutral. Then it grabbed the gear. I vaguely remember this behavior when the Ranger ran low on trans fluid. It sloshes away from the filter pickup briefly.

Looking at the driveway where I normally park I think I see a solid square foot of fluid staining. Sigh. The pan was pretty rusty I guess. I don't know what the issue is. Didn't clean the gasket surfaces enough? Too much bolt torque? Who knows...

It is possible it is not the pan at all, I suppose. Seems more likely to be the pan/gasket though, as I just touched it recently.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yeah it's the pan/gasket. Through the miracle of still being in dirty clothes from earlier and this being a truck, I was able to inspect just by laying on the (wet) driveway.

Dry on this side...
WP_20170602_17_56_34_Pro.jpg
Oh. Not dry on this side.
WP_20170602_17_58_20_Pro.jpg
WP_20170602_17_59_35_Pro.jpg
That last pic shows the leak, the bottom of the dipstick tube and possibly two pressure test ports. So many things.

Anyway, yeah, I need to reseal this. Wondering if I should do a new pan...one with a drain plug while I am at it. Except I want to do this tomorrow and do that band adjustment. So, I'll look closely at this pan. Maybe it is not flat or something. Or maybe I just missed something and there was junk I didn't clean off. Almost looks like that...

Assuming this doesn't turn into a debacle I guess it is all well and good. It will twist my arm into performing that rear band adjustment, which really does annoy me every single 2-3 shift. No kidding. So that will be something.

This'll be the best cared for transmission in my fleet. It will need all the help it can get I am sure.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Might want to call a couple Dodge dealerships to see if they have the pan in stock. I want to say my pan was under $50 and has a drain plug.

How often is the band adjustment supposed to happen? I guess if you have to open that thing up in 6 months again anyway, you could just replace the pan then.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Paul Baileys is right in NK on 102...that's actually pretty close.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I added my last 12oz of fluid and went to the transfer station.

I dropped $292 at Dodge for a new pan (redesign), new bolts ($5.20/ea x 15, required with new pan), gasket (nice composite w/ integral dual O-ring material), a filter and 5 liters of ATF+4. I guess this is why FCA is still in business. Meanwhile I've never had a pan issue on any GM vehicle, including my Caprice. GM doesn't do painted pans. I don't know what they are made out of but they look like bare metal and don't rust.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Got the old pan and filter off. Readjusted the rear band to 2.5 turns out. New filter, new gasket and new pan installed. New bolts, too. The new bolts looked like the old bolts and I don't see why I couldn't have reused them. Also I bought 15 and I only needed 14. Great.

Doesn't seem to leak. And it took all 5 liters which surprised me.

On the road test, the first heavy throttle 2-3 resulted in neutral and a zing to redline. Oh wtf. But all subsequent testing, including WOT, did not do that. Maybe it just didn't have fluid all in the right places yet.

Is the 2-3 shift firm now? Not really. I guess it is better but it is nowhere near as firm as the WOT 1-2. Maybe 2 turns? Anyway, I will be leaving it like this until it is due for fluid/adjustment again which may be a number of years.