05 STS fuel filter replacement

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
kevm14

05 STS fuel filter replacement

Post by kevm14 »

Decided to tackle this after I did the trans fluid.

First I attempted to release the fuel pressure. I opened the filler cap and closed it to make sure no pressure was in the tank. There was none. Then I looked for a fuel pump fuse for 5 minutes. There was none, at least not under the hood. So then I looked for probably 15 minutes for my fuel pressure gauge and found it. I figured I could relieve the fuel pressure that way. It squirted a little at the rails but really there didn't seem to be much pressure at all. More on this later.

This uses what I'd call a Corvette style fuel filter and returnless fuel system.
WP_20170630_15_55_21_Pro.jpg
This took some finagling. First, the nut was rusted and I soaked it in PB of course. But I had to work it back and forth for fear of mangling the threads or rounding the nut. I was successful.

On the two quick connects at the back, I had a little more fun. I found my fuel line disconnect tool and it worked great for the longer one. The shorter one didn't give me quite enough room to stick it in and that took me probably 12 minutes of fooling around before I got it to release.

Here is the pressure at idle. It is not vacuum referenced and the fuel filter actually contains the regulator which is why there are two lines at the back - inlet and return for excess fuel over the configured fuel pressure.
WP_20170630_15_54_13_Pro.jpg
I thought it was supposed to be 55 but whatever. This says 60. When I shut it off, pressure fell to maybe 52 and held. I am wondering if the old filter was bleeding down, causing longer starts. I will be curious to find out. Done.
kevm14

Re: 05 STS fuel filter replacement

Post by kevm14 »

Wrong thread, but the SRX is exactly the same and I just replaced the filter. 120k.