05 Cadillac STS throttle body cleaning

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
kevm14

05 Cadillac STS throttle body cleaning

Post by kevm14 »

I thought I did this but I have gotten annoyed with the laggy off idle throttle response. And I decided a crudded up TB would cause a bind coming off idle.

I did recall reading that these need a thorough cleaning at 100k. I am at 130k now.

So I really went at it. I went for broke and moved the TB open manually with my fingers despite the drive by wire. That seemed fine.

I sprayed and scrubbed top and bottom with carb cleaner. Tons of black crap in there, especially where the throttle blade would actually make contact.

Result? I think it is fixed. So satisfying. I need my snap. And it no longer does that thing where you get more throttle than you wanted after you press the gas a bit off the line. That was annoying.

It did set a DTC for throttle body performance which I cleared. I assume it did not like me manually working the throttle (though the engine was off).
Bob

Re: 05 Cadillac STS throttle body cleaning

Post by Bob »

Sweet - now I need another test drive.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Me too. Off-idle throttle response was always annoying in that car. Especially if you were trying to drive it smoothly.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

After some more driving, including to lunch today with Adam, I can update this. First impressions are usually incomplete.

In short, this has definitely improved but there is still some lag present off idle and what I don't really know is whether it is just part of the calibration or perhaps the throttle motor is just...a little tired. Or something else.

But the good news is, there is a more direct relationship to the amount of throttle I give off idle and the torque I get (after a small delay). I did snap it today and Adam can verify that it was a pretty sharp snap, which I don't think it previously was capable of. So things definitely moved in the right direction.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Verified.