General 96 Roadmaster thread

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: General 96 Roadmaster thread

Post by kevm14 »

Here are all the parameters, constants and tables to adjust. Looks mostly like OBD-I except for the misfire detection and cat efficiency stuff.

Nothing jumps out that would control the laggy downshifts in the Buick calibration.
Attachments
OBD2_08_Parameter_List.pdf
(31.04 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

This thread is not going very well.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/ ... thing.html

I had one guy point me to a new shift solenoid which I don't think is the issue. Another guy recommended a manual valve body or a T56. Sigh.

Oh, and I got a weird PM. Check it out:
Hi kevin Moore,
Thank you for your time. I am Ella from TOPDON. We specialize in high quality OBD2/EOBD Scanners that allow users to diagnose their automobiles easily. I am reaching out to you on the possibility of getting an editorial review for our featured Auto Code Scanner on this forum.
This is a portable set of diagnostic scan tool with practical functions. It works on most vehicles made after 1996, including newer OBD II and CAN compliant vehicles. Simple-to-use connection and operation (One click I/M readiness) make it nice; the support of the three languages makes it a favor. Have the processing of troubleshooting the problems, covering reading and erasing DTCs, and turning off MIL, viewing freeze frame data, reading current, pending and permanent codes, and showing definitions. Besides, it supports effective monitoring and update.
You can discover more about the product detail from the following link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M6KHDH

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TopdonOfficial

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Topdon_Official

If you are interested in reviewing our latest Auto Code Scanner, please let me know and I will send out a free sample for you to review. Please email me at xiangguoxiangqing [at] gmail [dot] com. Please provide links to the forum home page, and tell me your name on that forum.
Thank you so much for reading. I really appreciate your great assistance for us.
Regards,
Ella
Looks like a simple code reader, not even able to view data streams.

Maybe I can talk him into sending me a nice Tech 2 clone instead...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Sigh. Now I am being directed to convert back to an OBD-I PCM (the '8051) and use some up to date hacks/tools which are much better than the 11 year old software I'd be getting for $400. Oh, also these tools are way cheaper, too.

http://fbodytech.com/eehack-2/eehack-features/

I just wanted to tweak a few things...not make a whole project out of it. Also I have no idea how I'd pass an OBD-II plug-in test with an OBD-I PCM.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

To be clear, the tuning tools available for the 94-95 are now free. Except for the cable, which I own. That is...frustrating. Stupid OBD-II.

I decided to e-mail Mike O'D...
Bob

Post by Bob »

kevm14 wrote:I decided to e-mail Mike O'D...
What ever happened to him?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I am going to find out. Outlook pulled our last thread as I was writing to him. 5 years ago. He was traveling back from Japan at that time.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:To be clear, the tuning tools available for the 94-95 are now free. Except for the cable, which I own.
Go on....
Bob

Post by Bob »

Need a parts car? https://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/d/1 ... 20408.html

This could be a good swap candidate.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I will put my list of Caprice parts to harvest in this thread.

Here's a short list of things the Roadmaster could use:
- Idler arm and center link
- Rear axle (and rear discs?)
- Electric fans?
- SS wheels/tires

That's about it for things it could use that really jump to mind.

As for a more comprehensive list of things I should save because I might use them on the car at a later date:
- Front control arms, though the bushings are tired (again). The ball joints are still good.
- Front and rear springs
- Tie rods
- Steering box
- Steering shaft
- Front brakes (rotors, calipers, pads)
- Driveshaft
- Bulbs
- Windshield washer fluid tank
- Exhaust manifolds and cats? Maybe the intermediate pipes and mufflers and maybe the tail pipes. Over the axle are getting crusty again.
- Speakers
- Subwoofer and amp
- Battery
- Power lock solenoids
- Front window glass?
- Master cylinder and proportioning valve
- Front air dam stuff (assuming it is compatible with the bespoke front clip on the RMS)

Stuff to save and maybe sell because it is not compatible with the Roadmaster:
- Gauge cluster
- Stereo head unit
- Air intake (mainly the Cadillac top hat part which may be hard to find these days)
- Those giant battery cables...maybe try to repurpose them to the Roadmaster

I will grow this list if more things come up.
Last edited by kevm14 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added springs
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I am still leaning toward modification of the Roadmaster with Caprice parts and just driving it occasionally during non-winter months. I still have no plan to rip out the drivetrain and sell it, for example. I don't think anything I am planning would be a waste of time (something I'd have to either reverse or throw away if I switched to an LS engine/trans combo), with exception of:
- Any real engine mods (tuning, 1.6 rockers...air intake is minor and easy)

That's about it. Everything else could probably be reused or adapted to an LS setup. Which means the only real downside to proceeding this way is I burn the clock and add mileage to an engine/trans that are worth something. But how much value am I leaving on the table if I drive the car 3k a year for a couple years? Not enough to care about.

And to be honest, it will be therapeutic to operate this way, to move on from the Caprice. In other words, the more I think about getting rid of the Caprice, the more I want to drive (and work on to an extent) the Roadmaster.