Vibe Tire Pressure Sensor

Wiring, DIY, lighting, etc.
smartins

Vibe Tire Pressure Sensor

Post by smartins »

Back in about 2010 or so I lost control of the vibe while taking a turn in the snow and I hit the curb hard. I hit hard enough that I bent the rim to the point it needed replacing. The tire pressure sensor has been on since then. I have done a few different things to try to resolve this, but it turns out that it has all been in vain.

From GenVibe Forum:

"I am a gm mechanic.
The TPMs (or tire pressure sensors) are little sensors built into the valve stems on each rim except the spare. Now... if you have steel rims... what you can do is take them out of your steel rims and get them installed into your aftermarket wheels. And if you save you steel rims for say.. winter tires. just put regular rubber valve stems into them. In Vibes... they are individually programed into the cars computer with their each own specific code. So if you go buy new TPMs. they will have to be programed into the computer. And the ones in the rims now will be invalid. So if you take the ones out of your rims and put them into your aftermarket wheels. they will work for that. and if you put winter tires on your steel rims and drive on those for the month of winter.. you will have the dumby light on until you put the summer wheels back on and reset the light. This is what alot of people do when they have two sets of rims/wheels. Any more questions.. ask away."

I had gotten a replacement rim from the junk yard and it didn't come with the valve stem. So, I have been running on three sensors since then. Seems as if I need to buy atleast one new sensor to place into one of the wheels (not sure which one either), and then recalibrate the system. All of this just to sell the car without a warning light on.

Thoughts?
kevm14

Re: Vibe Tire Pressure Sensor

Post by kevm14 »

I'm not a real big fan of the explanation from the "mechanic" there.

If your Vibe is 2008 or newer, it has an actual tire pressure sensor in all four tires. Apparently the mandate requires actual transducers rather than the ABS method.

So, as I mentioned to you on Friday, you can tell which of the 4 tires is missing the sensor simply by looking at/feeling the valve stem. The tire shop would have used a conventional black rubber valve stem, which is just like a bicycle. It is flexible. The other 3 tires should have a metal (rigid) valve stem.

If you get this far, you need to determine what TPMS sensor you need to buy, in case they used more than 1 RF band that model year (my CTS-V has two different possible sensors and my tire shop got me the right one by VIN). Then simply bring the tire (or car with all 4 of your summer tires installed), pointing out which one needs the new TPMS. After that, you perform the TPMS relearn routine.

According to this site, the method is identical to what I described for my CTS-V.

http://www.tpmsdirect.com/Reset_Procedu ... _a/699.htm

1. Parking brake set
2. Key on, engine off
3. Press and hold lock and unlock on the remote key fob for about 5 seconds. The horn will honk to indicate entry into the TPMS relearn mode.
4. Beginning with the driver's side front, either inflate or deflate the tire until the horn honks. I typically choose to inflate because I have a compressor in my garage. Once the horn honks, move to the passenger front.
5. Continue around the vehicle in a clockwise formation.
6. At the last tire (driver's side rear) the horn will honk twice to indicate relearn complete.

You will need to set the correct pressures in all tires since they'll all be off.