Camaro ZL1 vs. Z/28

Car/truck/automotive news and discussion
bill25

Camaro ZL1 vs. Z/28

Post by bill25 »

http://wot.motortrend.com/totd-2014-che ... 17027.html

I can't decide. That would be more of a problem for me if I could actually afford either one of them but it is still fun to dream...

The Z/28 is cool and I think looks better, but the ZL1 is supercharged and could probably be modified to be faster a lot cheaper than the Z/28.

Also, since I would be driving the car to work, AC and a halfway decent radio are nice options especially since I like black paint jobs.

What do you guys think?
kevm14

Re: Camaro ZL1 vs. Z/28

Post by kevm14 »

It's actually pretty easy. Want to drive around in traffic and occasionally blast to 120? ZL1.

Want a racing machine that you could drive on the street? Z/28.

I believe they have quite different personalities. The LS7, as I am on record in this forum for saying, is the best engine in the world (hyperbole alert).
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Also this is a trick question. The correct answer is: The 1SS or 2SS package and 1LE option. For under $40k.
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

What an awesome time to be a car guy. Two cars with 500+ horsepower... stock.. tested and reliable.

I have to say that the ZL1 seems the obvious choice for you, as it has air conditioning, is cheaper, and has more power...

Did you buy it yet?? I'd like to get a ride in that..

Clearly the cheapest option would be to buy the nicest G-body you can find and install this:
http://paceperformance.com/i-8576042-cp ... trans.html

Not as much power, but you I bet you could do the whole project for under $25k.

And it's probably plenty of power.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

I want to go on record to say that I love the g body and I have been throwing around this idea for a little while. The only problem with this is that I did a recent autotrader search and found that you can get a Camaro SS for around 25k with like 15,000 to 20,000 miles on it (pretty much brand new to me). With the Camaro, everything else is 4 years old max instead of 25 to 30 years old. Camaro has better suspension, better brakes better rear end etc. If the g body could be done for 10 all together it would be a tougher decision.

No final decisions have been made though.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Fast_Ed wrote:What an awesome time to be a car guy. Two cars with 500+ horsepower... stock.. tested and reliable.
The part that shouldn't be understated is that it's not just a flashy looking burnout machine (if you want that, I recommend the GT500). It has actual, internationally-recognized handling chops. For the first time ever. And brakes.
I have to say that the ZL1 seems the obvious choice for you, as it has air conditioning, is cheaper, and has more power...
Yup. Even though LS7 >> LSA, imo. But that's unfair, because LS7 >>> everything else.
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

I get the used camaro idea. It will be a much nicer car, and definitely more impressive to the ladies (you're still in your 20's..)

The G-body project can always wait until later.. But the materials of the new camaro will always be nicer, suspension more modern, stock radio would be compatible with modern media, etc... In reality, you might just be driving the Camaro forever. Certainly not a bad thing, especially if you hold on to your current car for bulk of the daily abuse duties.

As for the LS7 being better than anything else, regardless of output.. I don't know, having never driven either of those engines. But I would love the opportunity to give it a whirl.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I am weighing the specifications, engineering achievement and written experiences to come to that (hyperbolic) conclusion.

It's actually the lightest of all the SBC/LSx architecture engines. Highest revving. Compact dimensions. And on a relative scale (compared to the international competition), I would wager a bet that it's the cheapest to build (all LS7s are hand built which is why it's a relative scale). All with 2 valves per cylinder, and no variable-anything. Drivability? It has over 310lb-ft torque @ 1000rpm. Instant throttle response at any RPM. Enough said.

That's Systems Engineering panacea, with a bonus because it checks emotional boxes in addition to the specifcation boxes.

It's definitely the right engine for the Z/28, anyway. I wish there was a CTS-V with that engine...

It would be an interesting exercise to find anything made, by anyone, at any period of time, that compares.