Take that, Cox!!

Tech news
kevm14

Re: Take that, Cox!!

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote:I guess you have to keep checking. Every time I get a flyer in the mail I look at it. Of course they never really work at selling me internet only. And the bundles aren't quite as good as they seem due to extra charges (tax on phone service, set top box rentals, etc.). But I decided to check and they have the best deal going I have ever seen:

50/50
$40/mo for year 1
$55/mo for year 2

After that, I don't really know - could be $85. Doesn't really matter. I am paying $60/mo for 15/2 so this gives me a total no brainer for 2 years.

I placed the order. This is exciting.
Or maybe they are advertising.
WP_20170703_18_14_23_Pro.jpg
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote:I guess you have to keep checking. Every time I get a flyer in the mail I look at it. Of course they never really work at selling me internet only. And the bundles aren't quite as good as they seem due to extra charges (tax on phone service, set top box rentals, etc.). But I decided to check and they have the best deal going I have ever seen:

50/50
$40/mo for year 1
$55/mo for year 2

After that, I don't really know - could be $85. Doesn't really matter. I am paying $60/mo for 15/2 so this gives me a total no brainer for 2 years.

I placed the order. This is exciting.

I ordered their G1100 router online ($150). I could have gotten it via Amazon for $125 or so but it was not Prime and would have been a week out so meh.

Other internet specials they are offering right now:
100/100
$65/mo for year 1
$80/mo for year 2
$105 after that

150/150
$75/mo for year 1
$90/mo for year 2
$115 after that

300/300
$95/mo for year 1
$110/mo for year 2
$205/mo after that

500/500
$195/mo for year 1
$210/mo for year 2
$305 after that
Coming up on June (kinda).

Plans have gotten even cheaper.

100/100, includes $50 Amazon gift card
$40/mo for year 1
Looks like $55 for year 2 just like I have now

300/300, includes 2nd gen Amazon Echo
$60/mo for 2 years (it would be interesting to try substituting my 2nd year of 100/100 for $55 for 300/300 for $60 but meh)

940/880 (aka gigabit), includes year of Amazon prime
$80/mo for 3 years

So you can see they make a decent value case as you move up the speeds. I would probably go with the 100/100 since it is basically resetting the clock on the same price deal I signed up for in 2017 but with double the speeds I have now. I don't need an Echo though $60/mo for 2 years is a pretty good deal for 300/300. And again the gigabit year-of-Prime deal is also a good value worth $119/yr. Basically it makes the gigabit have an effective cost of $70/mo for the first year. I'm more concerned with minimizing my monthly bills though.

In Cox land, the situation is better than it used to be but still does not compare to FIOS.

30/3
$40/mo for year 1, not sure after that

"StraightUpInternet" which is 25 down and question mark up
$50/mo, no contracts, this is prepaid internet which is an interesting offering (people with bad credit need home internet I guess)

100/10
$60/mo for year 1, not sure after that

300/30
$80/mo for year 1, not sure after that

1000/35
$120/mo

These are all worse.
Adam

Post by Adam »

300/30 is the "Ultimate" package, which appears to normally be $105/mo, although that might be some promotional pricing for existing customers. I (still) have "preferred" which is 50/5. They recently upped the price to $83.99/mo w/o adding anything at all. I do usually get ~60Mbps down which slightly eases the pain, but not really. I don't seem to have an option of a 100/10 plan.

Fortunately there are no other options here for high speed internet other than Cox, so...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Slight change, for the better really.

100/100, now includes $50 VISA prepaid card instead Amazon which is cash (not that I wouldn't have eventually ordered from Amazon)
$40/mo for year 1
Looks like $55 for year 2 just like I have now

300/300, includes Netflix "premium" for 6 months
$60/mo for 2 years

940/880 (aka gigabit), includes Netflix "premium" for 12 months
$80/mo for 3 years

Obviously their deal with Amazon ended as it used to be Prime and Echo stuff. Whatever.

Prices are the same as when I checked in Jan. I need to see if they will honor these "new customer" prices after 2 years with them. I guess that is usually the function of Customer Retentions. Or maybe I can do it via chat? Worth a try I guess. I need to do something as my 50/50 service will go to $85/mo in June or thereabouts. Not a good deal.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Chat was useless. Unfortunately I will have to call and "cancel" so I get to customer retentions and try my luck there.
Verizon: Thank you for chatting with Verizon! I'm here to help with any questions you have and share details about our chat exclusive $20 for 24 months discount.

You: I am an existing customer and would like to inquire about the new 100/100 plan for $39.99
Jushua: By chatting with us, you grant us permission to review your services during the chat to offer the best value. Refusing to chat will not affect your current services. It is your right and our duty to protect your account information. For quality, we may monitor and/or review this chat.

Jushua: By chatting with us, you grant us permission to review your services during the chat to offer the best value. Refusing to chat will not affect your current services. It is your right and our duty to protect your account information. For quality, we may monitor and/or review this chat.

Jushua: Hey there! My name is Jushua. Happy to help!

Jushua: Hello! May I know to whom do I have the pleasure of chatting with?

You: This is Kevin
Jushua: A lovely day to you Kevin.

Jushua: Let me just pull up your account to check for the available service to you.

You: ok
Jushua: Great!

Jushua: May I have your telephone number?

You: ###-###-####
Jushua: Thank you so much.

Jushua: For security and protection of your account I will send a one time pin to you.

Jushua: Awesome!

Jushua: A PIN has been sent to Mobile Telephone Number ending with ####

You: 4113
Jushua: Thank you so much Kevin.

Jushua: While I take care of this for you, let me ask you a few questions to make sure you aren’t missing out on anything :)

You: sure
Jushua: Is it fine with you?

Jushua: Tell me how you and your household are using the internet. For example: Online gaming, working from home, and/or streaming.

You: A combination of working from home occasionally, streaming and other general tasks
You: I will say our 50/50 has been adequate
You: However I was interested in doubling that to 100/100
Jushua: Oh I see. Thanks for letting me know that one.

Jushua: I will take a note of that.

You: I mean I would love gigabit but right now the priority is to minimize our monthly bills
Jushua: Oh I see. Thanks for letting me know that.

Jushua: Let me now check it here on the system about the available service in your account.

Jushua: Awesome!

You: I am requesting the current promotion for: 100/100 for $39.99 for the first year and $54.99 for the second year, with the $50 prepaid VISA card and no installation cost, with customer supplied router
Jushua: Oh I see. Thanks for sharing that to me Kevin.

Jushua: Just a heads up Kevin that the promotion for 100M at $39.99 is for the new customer acquisition only.

You: Then I will be canceling my service
You: I have Cox available in this area
Jushua: It really saddens me to know that you want to cancel one of your service with us.

Jushua: I am just depending on what my system will provide to me KEvin.

Jushua: I hope that this won't takes against me.

Jushua: As a consumer myself, I understand how you feel.

You: When does my price change to $85
You: because I will need to cancel my service before that date
Jushua: Let me check that for you Kevin.

You: 2 years ago when I signed up I had absolutely no intention of paying $85 for 50/50
You: however the service has been good for 2 years and I am willing to go 2 more years, if I receive the new customer promotion
You: which is what I will be explaining on the phone when I call to cancel
Jushua: Thank you for that one.

Jushua: Upon checking it here that we can renew your service for another more 2 years for the 50/50M for $54.99/month and that is price lock guarantee Kevin.

You: thank you for that offer; unfortunately I am not interested at this time
Jushua: Oh I see. I just really want you to stay with us.

You: Yes I would like to stay and I have made my intentions clear.
Jushua: However for the 100M that will cost $59.99

You: Nope
You: I guess this was unsuccessful
You: That is too bad
Jushua: I also felt bad for this one Kevin.

Jushua: I understand your situation and would like to help.

Jushua: However the system is not providing me that one. As much as I love to but the system doesn't allow me for that.

Jushua: And I really hope that this won't takes against me Kevin.

You: It is up to Verizon on that one
Jushua: Thank you so much for that Kevin.

You: If you could provide me with the date that my $54.99 price ends that would be helpful
You: I believe it is in June
Jushua: Let me check it here, OPne moment Kevin.

Jushua: Thank you so much for the wait Kevin.

Jushua: Upon checking it here that it has no current expiration based on what I can see here on my end Kevin.

You: so when I signed up I believe the deal was at the end of 24 months the price would go up to $84.99
You: can you please check that?
Jushua: Let me check that for you.

Jushua: Thank you so much for the wait Kevin.

Jushua: Based on the system it doesn't show the exact date of when it will changes.

Jushua: And I highly suggest to check your account again before June or within the month of June.

You: yes, I plan to
Jushua: That would be great Kevin.

Jushua: And also to check for other available promotion on that month.

Jushua: Awesome!.

Jushua: Thank you for your cooperation Kevin. I really appreciate you today.

Jushua: May I ask if there is anything else that I can help you with today?

You: no
Jushua: You've been very awesome with our chat. Thank you for your patience, cooperation and kindness. You and your family have a bless day and I hope I provided you a 5 star service.

Jushua: I hope that we are still connected.

You: we are
Jushua: Alright!.

Jushua: Thank you for chatting with Verizon. I hope I provided you with 5 Star service :)

Jushua: I haven’t heard from you for a few moments. Would you like to continue chatting?

You: no we are through
Jushua: It was my pleasure chatting with you. You may now close this one Kevin.

Jushua: Have a great day!
They did offer another 2 years at 50/50 for the current $55/mo I am paying. That's something but not what I want.

Eh I guess I'll defer this for a month. Lot of stuff going on right now. Though I would have switched earlier because the speed doubles and the price goes back down to $39.99...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Couldn't match it on the phone either.

However, I did get two things out of this:
1) That $30 discount (from $85 to $55) does not actually expire. This whole time (i.e. past 2 years) I thought my bill was going to go to $85. Apparently not.
2) However, the 50/50 service itself is going up $3. I got a $5/mo discount that is good for a year so the bill is $49.99 but will go to $52.99 sometime in the next billing cycle or three.

Looks like Cox could do 100/10 for $60/mo for first year and then $84/mo after that which is quite unimpressive. Sadly, I think I'd rather do 50/50 for $50-53 (also read as Verizon's post-2 year promo pricing is better than Cox's promo pricing). But Verizon's promo pricing is quite a bit better than both.

It is annoying because the only way to get the new customer discount is to become a new customer again. I don't want to switch to Cox for a year at $60 (2x faster download but 5x slower upload), but I wouldn't likely just drop internet altogether so that seems like my only option. Financially, it would be worth the hassle assuming Verizon had good promotions in the 1 year timeframe (because 1 year at $60 is worth it to get a year @ $40 and two years @ $55). At this time, I will probably just keep going with what I have, placated by the fact that my bill is not going to $85. That said, I am still annoyed because I expected to get 100/100 for $40 in year 1 and $55 in year 2. Double my speeds, and cut the bill back to the original promo pricing. It was not to be. And I can't really blame them. Switching to Cox would really just spite myself, not Verizon.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:23 am However, I did get two things out of this:
1) That $30 discount (from $85 to $55) does not actually expire. This whole time (i.e. past 2 years) I thought my bill was going to go to $85. Apparently not.
2) However, the 50/50 service itself is going up $3. I got a $5/mo discount that is good for a year so the bill is $49.99 but will go to $52.99 sometime in the next billing cycle or three.

It is annoying because the only way to get the new customer discount is to become a new customer again.
So here we are a year later. That $5 discount is going away this billing cycle so my cost will be $58 for 50/50. Starting to creep back into "not that great of a deal" territory.

The good news is Cox has some decent promotional deals this time around, unlike last time. Unfortunately every speed tier below gigabit has a 10Mbps upload cap which is ridiculous. But gigabit is 35Mbit which, while only a little over half what I get now (I regularly get almost 60 up), is at least in the tolerable window. Anyway, they are offering the 940/35 or whatever for $65/mo and that actually includes their panoramic wifi router/modem. The price is guaranteed for 2 years (no contract) and the free router/modem is actually 3. But I'd probably quit in 2 years and switch back to FIOS and return the equipment.

So I would do this not because I want gigabit (I don't need it) nor do I want to pay extra per month. I'd be doing it because in 2 years I could switch back to FIOS. Now the thing is...I could switch back to FIOS much, much sooner than 2 years....
Adam

Post by Adam »

Is this the right place to put this? Up until this came along, there was only one option for high-speed internet on the island (no FIOS here).

https://www.t-mobile.com/isp

The highlights:
- $50/mo
- No data cap
- No contract
- No H/W cost (they give you the receiver, but you need to return it if you cancel)
- You're essentially adding a line to your T-Mobile account, which they waive the fee for

The performance is based on the cell speeds available at your location, so if your T-Mobile LTE coverage is terrible, this isn't the answer for you. Conveniently, I typically get >100Mbps on LTE at my house.

I've been doing back-to-back tests between Cox and LTE on my phone at various times throughout the day and LTE is typically 15%-200% faster download, 300% faster upload, 75% slower ping but 50% lower jitter.

Some questions:
- Are they doing the 'optimized streaming' stuff they do for your phone (480p)?
- Can they keep a Steam game download running at 100% download for hours (for 50GB+ games)?

I signed up and should have the receiver later this week. I'll post some additional detail once I have it in place.

My plan is to keep Cox until I know this will work as good (hopefully less than 1 month of overlap). Then I can cancel that crap and save $34/mo.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

That's cool. T-mobile at my house isn't super strong. It's fine for my phone but probably not for my only internet.

Just ran it in my dining room right now. Between 2 and 3 bars.

33.9 down
1.82 up
94ms ping
135ms jitter

Just ran it again on FIOS.

57.3 down
59.2 up
14ms ping
2ms jitter

Yeah that probably won't cut it.
Adam

Post by Adam »

That's all terrible. From my living room on my phone just now (all the bars of LTE):
95.4 down
34.6 up
18ms ping
8ms jitter

Connecting through a Wifi router will likely add some ping latency. The unit has built-in Wifi, but I will likely just move my Asus router over to is as the coverage is already excellent (and it supports both 2.4 and 5GHz and up to AC speeds). I'll check the specifics of the unit when I get it.